Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics?

Fogducker

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1219 JLU rubicon 2016 ram power wagon
I can PM you some photos of the hitch work if you like. I removed the stock muffler and put in a Flowmaster 40 (just behind the resonator) and a Flowmaster American Thunder axle back pipe. This made the hitch strengthening easier, added more ground clearance and sounds better.
I would really appreciate you sending me these pictures, thanks in advance...

I have been towing a Airsteam Basecamp with a 2019 JL Rubicon and a weight distribution hitch with sway control, I installed a Hellwig rear sway bar on the Jeep and it's a night n day difference stability at Hwy speeds, I highly recommend this accessory for the JL.
I think beefing up the factory hitch can't hurt.

IMG_20190830_1103569.jpg
Sponsored

BCool

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Tuscadero Sahara 4xe
I would strongly recommend having a hitch shop strengthen your receiver. I have had mine upgraded to a Class IV. This will allow you to add a WD hitch (which creates too much fore/aft torque for the stock to handle.) This will get your rig level and put critical weight back onto the steering axle. You may not need sway control, but it doesn't add much cost and you will feel more secure in strong cross-wind conditions and when fast trucks overtake you on the highway. I use an Eaz-Lift hitch with the optional anti-sway bars.
Where did you learn that a weight-distributing hitch puts too much torque on the stock receiver?

@CBEUnion

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 18 JL, 21 JL
Some great info and awesome pics here! I bought my first Jeep, a JLU, back in April and now we're looking at campers as a way to offset the costs of beercationing. The JL is stock right now but will have a lift and maybe 35s by spring. Wondering if anyone has before/ after lift kit towing experience they'd share?

Sponsored

rs680

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I spent all last summer towing a 2800lbs R pod plus gear. I have been moving and towing boats and trailers all my life My brother hauls 40 and 50 foot boats all over Canada We have a lot of towing experience in my family. I have never heard of a rv dealer reinforcing a hitch making it stronger or worse claiming it is now a higher weight class. That is pure crazy and i would never let someone modify my factory installed warranty included trailer hitch receiver . Buy a trailer get a good one under 3000lbs and you will be fine. A weight distributing hitch is a good idea and will help with squatting but it will not be causing extra pressure on your hitch you do not have to reinforce anything. I use a weight distributing hitch for more then 30 years and never had a problem. I put over 10 thousand KMS this summer alone with my Jeep and R pod and never had a issue Also my Jeep has a mopar 2 inch lift and i run 35 inch Bfg K02s. Jeeps suck as tow vehicles but you will be fine
IMG_0606.JPG
IMG_0613.JPG
. I do not use a sway control never have but they are cheap so if you feel more safe with one then get on.

BigJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I spent all last summer towing a 2800lbs R pod plus gear. I have been moving and towing boats and trailers all my life My brother hauls 40 and 50 foot boats all over Canada We have a lot of towing experience in my family. I have never heard of a rv dealer reinforcing a hitch making it stronger or worse claiming it is now a higher weight class. That is pure crazy and i would never let someone modify my factory installed warranty included trailer hitch receiver . Buy a trailer get a good one under 3000lbs and you will be fine. A weight distributing hitch is a good idea and will help with squatting but it will not be causing extra pressure on your hitch you do not have to reinforce anything. I use a weight distributing hitch for more then 30 years and never had a problem. I put over 10 thousand KMS this summer alone with my Jeep and R pod and never had a issue Also my Jeep has a mopar 2 inch lift and i run 35 inch Bfg K02s. Jeeps suck as tow vehicles but you will be fine
IMG_0606.JPG
IMG_0613.JPG
. I do not use a sway control never have but they are cheap so if you feel more safe with one then get on.
Which RPod model is that? I've been eyeing a RPod 179

rs680

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Which RPod model is that? I've been eyeing a RPod 179
It is a 2018 R pod 180 it has a small 2 seat dinette and a big back bathroom but it is only me and my little dog so it is big enough for us.

Rubiron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited / Audi RS5
Occupation
Retired
This is what I tow.....base trailer weight was 980 lbs....after all my add on’s and gear I’m weighing in at 1880 lbs. Trailer has electric brakes, and tows like a dream behind the JL.....I still get into 8th on the highway, and I’m getting around 17-18 mpg on level road.

16DDAA6F-C6BA-408D-A4F4-0ACABA059545.jpeg

190A968A-EB5D-4FB3-81A8-45F1CCFD898F.jpeg

Last edited:

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
This is what I tow.....base trailer weight was 1400 lbs....after all my add on’s and gear I’m weighing in at 2023 lbs. Trailer has electric brakes, and tows like a dream behind the JL.....I still get into 8th on the highway, and I’m getting around 17-18 mpg on level road.
Looks really nice with the Rubi wheels and matching tires.

Sponsored

Rubiron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited / Audi RS5
Occupation
Retired
This is what I tow.....base trailer weight was 980 lbs....after all my add on’s and gear I’m weighing in at 1880 lbs. Trailer has electric brakes, and tows like a dream behind the JL.....I still get into 8th on the highway, and I’m getting around 17-18 mpg on level road.

16DDAA6F-C6BA-408D-A4F4-0ACABA059545.jpeg

190A968A-EB5D-4FB3-81A8-45F1CCFD898F.jpeg
Sorry guys had the weight wrong, guess the memory is starting to go......haha !

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
That's one of the model's I've been looking at. How'd it go?
I loved it. We had it for 4 days. Very comfortable and a good size for just the 2 of us. The queen bed was uncomfortable but we bought a 2” memory foam topper for it and it was fine.

Pulling it in Texas hill country went pretty well. I don’t know the loaded weight of it but it didn’t feel heavy at all even with fresh, gray, and black tanks loaded and a fully loaded Jeep. I rented it 75 miles or so from where we camped so I only have about 3 or 4 hours experience driving it. It pulled well even on grades. I used manual shifting of the 8 speed when climbing or descending hills.

Hope that helps.
Sponsored