Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
I went with the Smittybilt SRC sliders because I wanted an actual step as well as functioning slider. And I wanted door-ding protection too. They have the tube that drops low but it is still higher than the frame. They are tough and I had good luck with them on my '12 JKUR. Actually a week or so after I put them on the JK a dump truck hauling scrap metal lost a large ball of crumpled steel that rolled into the side of the Jeep while I was doing about 45mph. It was a glancing blow but enough to feel the impact push the Jeep sideways. It scratched up the slider but fully protected the body. With the stock Rubi rails, I am sure I would've had damage to the tub/doors.
Sponsored

bgj1010

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Systems Engineer - Manager
Looking at reviews of the NFAB J1866 tube steps, I like the style but there are a lot of older reviews of rust poor quality etc. has quality changed?
sup man, fancy stumbling upon your post here as well! I had the NFAB steps in the attached pics. I did absolutely love them for a while, until I joined my Jeep club and found out the hard way why I should have gotten sliders, not steps, in the first place. A $400 error, tossed in my shed with the rest of my takeoffs. I also learned that my short wife (5'3") has a hard time getting in my Jeep now and gives me grief about it regularly. She's getting better though, finally learned how to get in without the stool I had to get for her!
So my take on the NFABs - they look awesome and they work very awesome as steps. Very solid, very sure footing. However, yes, surface rusting was not long after install. Where the mounting brackets are that bolt to the pinch welds, mainly the rear-most on both sides. It was superficial, but looked like ass. But, like I said, they are the wrong choice if you go wheeling a lot, but we've already discussed you have a better Jeep for that stuff! If I wasn't wheeling hard, I'd still have them on. Zoom in to see the damage from getting hung up on boulders on my very first club run. It was very annoying and more so embarrassing getting hung up as often as I did due to the way they jut out like they do. Both sides got damage, mainly underneath, but that rear driver one hit pretty friggin hard after I had to rock myself out of the jam 3x. The 4th was full throttle and BANG! right over the rock wall :)
After I learned my lesson, I went with the RedRock 4x4 Rocker Guards pictured. Paid off on my first weekend out, slid on many obstacles, scratched them up real good then just sprayed them with a can of bed liner from Walmart. Still plenty of bar there to use as a step for average height folks. I'm 6'3" and still use it to hop in...
IMG_20190717_173006.jpg
IMG_20190718_134722.jpg

Foster_WV

First Name
Foster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ & JLU
sup man, fancy stumbling upon your post here as well! I had the NFAB steps in the attached pics. I did absolutely love them for a while, until I joined my Jeep club and found out the hard way why I should have gotten sliders, not steps, in the first place. A $400 error, tossed in my shed with the rest of my takeoffs. I also learned that my short wife (5'3") has a hard time getting in my Jeep now and gives me grief about it regularly. She's getting better though, finally learned how to get in without the stool I had to get for her!
So my take on the NFABs - they look awesome and they work very awesome as steps. Very solid, very sure footing. However, yes, surface rusting was not long after install. Where the mounting brackets are that bolt to the pinch welds, mainly the rear-most on both sides. It was superficial, but looked like ass. But, like I said, they are the wrong choice if you go wheeling a lot, but we've already discussed you have a better Jeep for that stuff! If I wasn't wheeling hard, I'd still have them on. Zoom in to see the damage from getting hung up on boulders on my very first club run. It was very annoying and more so embarrassing getting hung up as often as I did due to the way they jut out like they do. Both sides got damage, mainly underneath, but that rear driver one hit pretty friggin hard after I had to rock myself out of the jam 3x. The 4th was full throttle and BANG! right over the rock wall :)
After I learned my lesson, I went with the RedRock 4x4 Rocker Guards pictured. Paid off on my first weekend out, slid on many obstacles, scratched them up real good then just sprayed them with a can of bed liner from Walmart. Still plenty of bar there to use as a step for average height folks. I'm 6'3" and still use it to hop in...
IMG_20190717_173006.jpg
IMG_20190718_134722.jpg
Dude I stalked your posts and found that pic w NFab was showing the wife LoL

I picked up my tires Friday and the service writer guy at the dealership had a set of stock steps new for like $100 so I snagged those for now. Iā€™d rather have a set of sliders but happy wife happy life. Hahahaha

Again thanks for all the help so far! We r really happy w how it turned out!!!

JeepAddict14

First Name
Debi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Black JLUR, Audi S5, Dodge Ram
Ordered the @ACE Engineering sliders finally. They have an early Black Friday deal going on for $110 off. Great customer service so far. Hoping for delivery next week.
I ordered these because of this post. Thx for the info on the sale! Just have to wait for my Black JLUR to be born and delivered!! ;)

Debi

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
New guy here, just got an '18 JLUR

Thinking about getting Hard Rock 4x4 Sliders angled up.

Anyone run these or know if they do any kind of black Friday deals?

Thanks

Sponsored

GmanChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR. 2.5" Icon lift. 37" Maxxis Razr MTs
I got some for my JLUR. They are great steps but I would NOT trust them as rock sliders despite them being sold as such. The frame mounted ones spaced as far from the body as possible still contact the body at the front with the partial weight of the Jeep on them. Consequently, they are now for sale since they don't work for my intended purpose.

chevota6s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL sahara
Hello. This red circled part. Does anyone know what the name of the manufacturer is like a black rail?

ć‚¹ć‚ÆćƒŖćƒ¼ćƒ³ć‚·ćƒ§ćƒƒćƒˆ 2019-11-13 17.00.12.png

JRod

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the Rock Hard 4x4 rocker guard - angled down. Very solid and the angled down works as a great step. They do require the removal of the body bolts. I had my local dealer remove the 2 front bolts and replace them with the Rock Hard supplied bolts. Dealer did the work for $30.
How are you liking these sliders? Useful as a step for shorter passengers? Thinking about the same.

Sponsored

Wightmn

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

Thanks
Love the Rockhard 4x4 sliders. They only stick out enough for protection while staying tight to body line. Basically the width of the rear flare. Wait till Black Friday. Got a deal last year.

68073E15-0B07-4400-BAA8-72CD0F88E716.jpeg

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon

Thanks
We had those on our JKUR and they were solid for wheeling and helped me as a step (crap knee). Iā€™m looking at getting them for my JL, but am concerned about the body bolt Iā€™ve read about.

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
I just got my Rock Hard 4x4 Patriot slider / steps today. I've read about that bolt.....and nearly any slider worth two chits is gonna use that bolt to attach a real rock slider. I have yet to remove mine.....but I think if you just go slow and use hand tools it "should" go fine.

The big danger is just using high power impact tools on a relatively fragile connector.....as I see it. I hope I don't eat those words......but I don't worry about it.

bamchenry

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, '18 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Finally installed my @ACE Engineering sliders on my JLUR. Work well as a step and protection from door dings while mall crawling. They also look great.

Post some photos later, but I have them installed with factory rails and WeatherTech mud flaps without any issue.

C46D9DB9-621F-4812-A983-C7F669B019FD.jpeg

05BCD00B-B1B6-4E15-8141-F1E72330302A.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: