Sponsored

Carplay2air??? Wireless carplay dongle

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I think someone mentioned this before but no one was willing to commit to be the guinea pig due to the cost. Kudos to you and let us know how it turns out. If it works well, I would consider it.

OP
OP
Mikejd1

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Item has shipped. Hope to see it early next week

Sponsored

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Item has shipped. Hope to see it early next week
There are more dongles popping up from different manufacturers. I am really stunned Apple has not come out with an officially supported product to do the same.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
There are more dongles popping up from different manufacturers. I am really stunned Apple has not come out with an officially supported product to do the same.
And be responsible when it doesn't work on a specific device, like our seriously buggy 8.4 Alpine system? Nah, they're not going to do that...

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
And be responsible when it doesn't work on a specific device, like our seriously buggy 8.4 Alpine system? Nah, they're not going to do that...
How would that be any different than the way it works now? Apple sets the spec for CarPlay and car manufacturers implement it. In this case, I would expect the system to not see anything different than what it sees in the wired version since all of the "magic" happens prior to the USB connection into the radio.

I see complaints about wired CarPlay and no one appears to be blaming Apple.

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
How would that be any different than the way it works now? Apple sets the spec for CarPlay and car manufacturers implement it. In this case, I would expect the system to not see anything different than what it sees in the wired version since all of the "magic" happens prior to the USB connection into the radio.

I see complaints about wired CarPlay and no one appears to be blaming Apple.
Exactly

OP
OP
Mikejd1

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
ok...reporting back in, it does work. strangely, It didn't for the initial install...kept saying connecting, waiting to connect, had issues with the wifi and BT, but after a phone reboot and turned the jeep off, then back on, when everything came back online wireless CarPlay worked.

now, will it work consistently is the next questions. ill continue to see how it works over the next week or so

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikejd1

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
ok, checking back in after another test. Started the jeep up, it started to connect, I pressed a screen button (bad idea) and it didn't work again, I removed the USB dongle, put back in...waited like 30 seconds to touch anything, and all of a sudden the CarPlay screen came on. so im realizing, when you start the car, and it starts to boot up, just don't touch anything on the screen, and let the device boot up and launch CarPlay on it's own...ill keep testing out

OP
OP
Mikejd1

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
another update, this one pretty awesome, the wireless CarPlay disables the CarPlay lockout when in motion...that's pretty nice. Now you can actually used the damn phone dialer in the jeep when the car is in motion, just like every other vehicle with CarPlay!

si6ko

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys
another update, this one pretty awesome, the wireless CarPlay disables the CarPlay lockout when in motion...that's pretty nice. Now you can actually used the damn phone dialer in the jeep when the car is in motion, just like every other vehicle with CarPlay!
Thanks for testing it out. Hopefully it will work with my 7 inch uconnect

OP
OP
Mikejd1

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Ok...so it I have issues every time I start the car up. Couple things I’m experimenting with:

1. If I leave CarPlay as the main screen when shutting the vehicle off it connects on car start but CarPlay screen/icons don’t appear. Only the word “connecting” but CarPlay i’d connected.

im going to try shutting the car off with a different screen to see what happens.

The good news is with all of this, unplugging the dongle and plugging back in works every time. Just wait about 20 seconds or so and CarPlay opens every time.

minor inconvenience that I can live with if I can’t figure out why on car startup it bugs out.
Sponsored