Sponsored

De-modernizing the JL/JLU

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Is it possible to tear down and re-build the JL series without so much technology? Folks put in new engines, axles, etc. Could you take just the frame and body, and put in an older engine, transmission, etc.? I love older mechanical cars, like from the 70s. Down the road, like when the JL is 30-50 years old, I'd want to strip it down and make it less of a headache to work on. What could I remove that would be ok without the internal computer?
Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Now that's a loaded question. It all depends what headaches you are looking for. You could go waaaay back and install a steam engine. You could get swap in a 4cyl Go-Devil engine from a Willy's. You could stuff a mechanical 12-valve Cummins...

Or you could just leave it alone and enjoy a very reliable, well built, and fuel efficient Jeep the same way it rolled out the factory doors

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Why not just buy an older Jeep and restore it?

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Why not just buy an older Jeep and restore it?
Because I love the look but hate the electronics/sensors

This would be my response. It is possible but will be expensive. However, you could recoup a decent amount by selling all the parts.
Plan on doing this in about 10 years once factory parts wear out or are out of warranty.

I love old looking cars like this. And I love the modern look of the JLU/JT

00l0l_dsgRdqiQnNP_1200x900.jpg

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
"I love older mechanical cars, like from the 70s. Down the road, like when the JL is 30-50 years old, I'd want to strip it down and make it less of a headache to work on."

Gonna rag on you a bit more... I'm assuming your 20 years old at least. When the JL turns 30, you would be at least 50 years old. The Mechanical stuff you like from the 70s will be in the neighborhood of 80 years old by that time. Prices for components from that era will be astronomical.

Best bet is to start hoarding now :CWL:

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
There are certain things you would have a lot of trouble with. For instance, you can replace most of the mechanics, and get away with a Tazer to eliminate most of the dash warnings and lights you'll get from removing all the new age sensors. But if you want a keyed ignition? Good luck, that's a system that will be extremely hard to work around. The software surrounding critical vehicle systems is locked up tight.

If you really wanted to do this, your best bet would be to ditch EVERYTHING except the frame and body (because you only want it to look like a JL), and build from the ground up.

But, why?

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
"I love older mechanical cars, like from the 70s. Down the road, like when the JL is 30-50 years old, I'd want to strip it down and make it less of a headache to work on."

Gonna rag on you a bit more... I'm assuming your 20 years old at least. When the JL turns 30, you would be at least 50 years old. The Mechanical stuff you like from the 70s will be in the neighborhood of 80 years old by that time. Prices for components from that era will be astronomical.

Best bet is to start hoarding now :CWL:
Mid-30s, and yes, I have started a few years ago. Even set up to get an entire Honda Element to scrap for parts on my current Element (my very first car)

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
There are certain things you would have a lot of trouble with. For instance, you can replace most of the mechanics, and get away with a Tazer to eliminate most of the dash warnings and lights you'll get from removing all the new age sensors. But if you want a keyed ignition? Good luck, that's a system that will be extremely hard to work around. The software surrounding critical vehicle systems is locked up tight.

If you really wanted to do this, your best bet would be to ditch EVERYTHING except the frame and body (because you only want it to look like a JL), and build from the ground up.

But, why?
That is exactly what I think I will do. That's all I want to keep really.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

You want to take an awesome jeep and turn it into a piece of crap. How much experience do you have with vehicles from the 70s? For the most part they were junk. Ever messed with a carb?

the most swapped motor in the world is a chevy sbc V8, for a reason. They have only gotten better over time. That would be your best bet.

your homebrew reverse retro mod wrangler would probably be less reliable than a stock 3.6 base sport wrangler

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
I'm not going to say the JK was the last real Jeep, but I do think it is the last "simple" jeep. The 08-10s where right on the cusp of modern and simple since they don't have alot of electronics on them and are still easy to work on since the engine and transmission are from the early 90s.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not going to say the JK was the last real Jeep, but I do think it is the last "simple" jeep. The 08-10s where right on the cusp of modern and simple since they don't have alot of electronics on them and are still easy to work on since the engine and transmission are from the early 90s.
Do you mean the TJ?

Edit: missed the 08-10 parts. Wasn't a big fan of that 3.8 and 4-speed when I test drove one.

Last edited:

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Because I love the look but hate the electronics/sensors
I'm no expert, but I have to think it would be a whole lot cheaper and easier to rebody an old Jeep to look like a new Jeep than it would be to deconstruct a new Jeep to make it simple like an old one.
Sponsored