Sahara 34s budget lift and caster

ptoemmes

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys “Edition” TBD Mar 2021
Did a lot of poking around and perhaps I missed it or my question is outside the bounds of the normal 2'+ lifts usually considered.

Lt's say you upgrade JUU Sahara tires from 32" to 34" - nothing too wide say 285-295. You lose 1" clearance to the fender. So, you decide on a budget spacer lift of maybe 1" in front and .5" in rear or 1.5 in front and 1" in rear. All to make up for the loss in fender clearance and the rake.

At what point does caster NEED to be corrected with, for example, longer or adjustable LCAs?

If I did consider a 2" lift then the Daystar with LCAs that, for example, JL18 haas posted about is my likely, but I don't necessarily need/want a 2.0 lift.

Thanks,

Pete
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
You would be right around OEM Rubicon height, so you wouldn't absolutely have to modify caster. You probably won't like how it drives though, and will wish you did it anyway.

I'll second the Mopar lift arms: simple, cheap, effective OEM quality.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
And for your budget lift don't go spacers, get Rubicon take off suspension from a 4dr w/ hardtop & tow pkg. much better way to go and about the same $$. Did that along w/ the longer Mopar LCAs for about $175 to my door :)

L8Knight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2018 Yukon Denali
I did an rc 2.5 spacer lift with 34s. Looks great, rides just like stock.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Well I did exactly what you just described. 2" Daystar lift, with 34" tires (285/75/17 KM2's).

Absolutely no reason not to go with the Daystar kit. I know a lot of people say to buy new components, but I was specifically trying to retain my factory ride. I bought a Sahara because I like the comfort, and I don't want a stiffer Rubi suspension or any aftermarket kits that come with stiffer springs.

I explored A LOT of options, with quite a bit of detail if you you're interested in reading it all while I was picking my lift. Link here → lift options.

I also posted a thread on my review/install of the Daystar kit. Link here → Daystar lift thread

And to answer the question about the LCA's. No you don't have to replace them if you're doing 1-2". Some people report issues without doing it, others don't. This was a mod I only wanted to do once, so I found a kit that did them, rather than having to come back to it later.

And here's a photo of my Sahara on 34's with a 2" lift.

19 7-19 (6) resize.jpg

L8Knight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2018 Yukon Denali
Well I did exactly what you just described. 2" Daystar lift, with 34" tires (285/75/17 KM2's).

Absolutely no reason not to go with the Daystar kit. I know a lot of people say to buy new components, but I was specifically trying to retain my factory ride. I bought a Sahara because I like the comfort, and I don't want a stiffer Rubi suspension or any aftermarket kits that come with stiffer springs.

I explored A LOT of options, with quite a bit of detail if you you're interested in reading it all while I was picking my lift. Link here → lift options.

I also posted a thread on my review/install of the Daystar kit. Link here → Daystar lift thread

And to answer the question about the LCA's. No you don't have to replace them if you're doing 1-2". Some people report issues without doing it, others don't. This was a mod I only wanted to do once, so I found a kit that did them, rather than having to come back to it later.

And here's a photo of my Sahara on 34's with a 2" lift.

19 7-19 (6) resize.jpg
Looks great. Late reply, I'm traveling, sadly not in my jeep. Lol

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
So do you guys think I’ll be good to go with full articulation on my Sahara with 33.9” tall tires mounted on my stock wheels? My only mods are a (Rubi takeoff) 1” lift up front and .750” out back, Mopar LCA’s, winch. The winch bringing the front back down 1/4-1/3” might be a factor.

I could go with 33’s in the 32.2-33.6” range but I found that the 285/70/18 Geolandar MT is just a bit bigger. 35’s and the lift/mods to get there aren’t a possibility right now.

Thanks
Sponsored