Sponsored

Trailer hitch and wiring harness?

xtnqx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon Diesel
The cheap bolt lights have worked a treat, plenty of light. Pictures to show how high the number plate was mounted and the effect on the reverse camera screen.

led.jpg

NP.jpg

reverse.jpg
Sponsored

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
Well, I have been emailing the supplier of Hayman Reese............crickets.......... Doh, no response
I guess they must have hit a snag. Hope it's not a long one. Really need to get the heavy spec bar (2,495kg +) on my JLUR.

I did find a manufacturer of a heavy duty bar in Germany (MVG), but A. Don't like the look of the farm plough hook, and B. Not sure how the rating would apply here in Australia.
https://www.how-to-towbar.com/2019/detachable-towbar-for-jeep-wrangler-jl/

OP
OP
Jaydee_S

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
yeah i really really need a hitch asap as well.. I may buy a simple one from the states until we can get a higher rated one.. I need to move my camper trailer around and holding onto the old car for that is annoying.

I also agree that germany one doesnt look very appealing =/

OP
OP
Jaydee_S

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
So spoke with the Hayman Reese guys the other day and the latest update is an eta of second week of December for their hitch.

The design will mount behind the rear plate like the JK design, the kit will include a flip up bracket for the rear plate so hitch is hidden when not in use and also a wiring kit is included as well they were saying.

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Jaydee. Glad someone got a response. I think they got sick of me and stopped responding to my emails.

So may be a new year installation project :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jaydee_S

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Yeah buddy, as soon as its available i'll be ordering as well.. christmas install i think over here haha..

But Sema is in a week and a bit.. Im expecting to bring a few toys back for the car haha

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah buddy, as soon as its available i'll be ordering as well.. christmas install i think over here haha..

But Sema is in a week and a bit.. Im expecting to bring a few toys back for the car haha
Thanks Mate, safe travels and enjoy the shopping.

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Picked my Hayman Reese towbar kit up during the week. Will try fitting tomorrow.

This is quite different to the JK setup, and looks just like the units available from the states except for one very important point. It has a rating label that states 2495kgs.
Also in the kit is the plug 'n play wiring harness and flip up license plate holder.
I added the ECU and 1.2m tail harness for the 7 pin connection.

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Design Development Manager
Picked my Hayman Reese towbar kit up during the week. Will try fitting tomorrow.

This is quite different to the JK setup, and looks just like the units available from the states except for one very important point. It has a rating label that states 2495kgs.
Also in the kit is the plug 'n play wiring harness and flip up license plate holder.
I added the ECU and 1.2m tail harness for the 7 pin connection.

Let us know how it goes. I am still looking for a harness... I don't really need 2.5t but you never know...

Sponsored

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tow bar and wiring all installed. Went pretty much without a hitch (no pun intended).

I found that the Ad Blue tank gets in the way when trying to remove one of the centre bumper bolts, so had to drop the tank on a jack, removing the bolts and letting the tank down until I could pull the bumper bolt out. Probably only an issue for the diesel.

Otherwise all goes by instruction. The tow bar goes on reasonably quickly once the bumper is removed. Can't say the same about running the cabling from back to front (connects to the battery to power the ECU) and cable tying all the way along to keep it away from the exhaust system. Simple in theory, just time consuming when groveling on the ground. The plug 'n play is easy enough with a loose blue wire at the ready in case I wish to add a trailer brake system later.

Flip up plate holder works well, but does not accommodate for fancy number plate frames. The plate frame hits the plate lights. I had to remove the plate frame to allow the plate to lift far enough to fit the hitch. This was installing the holder at the suggested height. An alternate would be to lower the holder to give more room.

Now for the test.
IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jaydee_S

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
I ordered the same hitch and all from TJM last week, was hoping for it to come in by friday but maybe tomorrow.

Just curious into how much you paid as I know TJM is just a complete rip off with everything in most cases =/ Ive been quoted at just under $1000 for the receiver and ecu which i think is pretty steep.

I am a little disappointed to see that the hitch receiver looks very similar to whats on offer from the states (Apart from the crucial factor that this is some how rated for a much higher load?)

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered the same hitch and all from TJM last week, was hoping for it to come in by friday but maybe tomorrow.

Just curious into how much you paid as I know TJM is just a complete rip off with everything in most cases =/ Ive been quoted at just under $1000 for the receiver and ecu which i think is pretty steep.

I am a little disappointed to see that the hitch receiver looks very similar to whats on offer from the states (Apart from the crucial factor that this is some how rated for a much higher load?)
All up $964 from Coldys. I did receive a quote from TJM, via the Hayman Reece quote system. It was $991 plus $240 for installation.

I was quite surprised when I went to pick it up, expecting a much larger box for the tow bar. I expected it would look similar to the JK heavy duty which bridges the two chassis rails. Instead it looks very similar to all the tow hitches we have seen in the States. Whether there is any structural difference or not, I am satisfied my tow bar at least recognises it's rating tested against Australian standards. Given the recent spate of roadside tests for overloaded vehicles, I can at lease rest assured the tow bar visibly exceeds the vehicles rating. (Load rating of 2495kg is the same, but ball down load is different. 250kg for hitch, 125kg from vehicle owner's manual.)

OP
OP
Jaydee_S

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
All up $964 from Coldys. I did receive a quote from TJM, via the Hayman Reece quote system. It was $991 plus $240 for installation.

I was quite surprised when I went to pick it up, expecting a much larger box for the tow bar. I expected it would look similar to the JK heavy duty which bridges the two chassis rails. Instead it looks very similar to all the tow hitches we have seen in the States. Whether there is any structural difference or not, I am satisfied my tow bar at least recognises it's rating tested against Australian standards. Given the recent spate of roadside tests for overloaded vehicles, I can at lease rest assured the tow bar visibly exceeds the vehicles rating. (Load rating of 2495kg is the same, but ball down load is different. 250kg for hitch, 125kg from vehicle owner's manual.)
This is what i got quoted and picking up tomorrow.

"03292RW TOWBAR ASSEMBLY $700.00
04835 ECU $245.00
05951 TOWBALL $15.00
04922 7 PIN FLAT WIRING $31.00
FITTING $180.00"

While i still think we are being taken for a massive ride on the price, at least it has that sticker for any insurance purposes or whatever over the american ones.. still pricey.

Can you confirm what you got in your kit as I told them I didnt want the Towball for $15 (as i do already have some at home) but I would of thought that the "03292RW" kit would of included that and the 7 Pin flat wiring..

Im going to fit it myself, but apart from the ecu, I would of thought everything else would of been part of the kit?

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is what i got quoted and picking up tomorrow.

"03292RW TOWBAR ASSEMBLY $700.00
04835 ECU $245.00
05951 TOWBALL $15.00
04922 7 PIN FLAT WIRING $31.00
FITTING $180.00"

While i still think we are being taken for a massive ride on the price, at least it has that sticker for any insurance purposes or whatever over the american ones.. still pricey.

Can you confirm what you got in your kit as I told them I didnt want the Towball for $15 (as i do already have some at home) but I would of thought that the "03292RW" kit would of included that and the 7 Pin flat wiring..

Im going to fit it myself, but apart from the ecu, I would of thought everything else would of been part of the kit?
Pricing pretty similar. I agree it is high for what you get, but on the other hand with shipping and our rubbish exchange rate, importing one may not be cheap enough to offset the security of the Australian rating.
The kit includes a tow ball and bar. It protrudes far enough back that the spare tyre would not cause an issue getting a trailer on and off.
It doesn't include the wiring to the trailer plug. This is probably because you then have the option of multiple plug/socket arrangements. You have been quoted for the 7 pin flat wire 04922, but I received 04816 Trailer Socket 7 Pin 1200mm. The cable is bound and not flat making it easier to run in plastic conduit, given the wiring is all outside the vehicle body. This one cost me $22.
Sponsored