Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Unpacking was a welcome pain, and I'll take this any day over what other manufacturers or retailers do. I received my ICI Magnum rear bumper (from Extreme Terrain) unwrapped, in a damaged box that was too large, stuffed with...wait for it... foam peanuts. Didn't even fill 50% of the box. Needless to say (but I'm gonna), the bumper had some scuffing to the powder coating.

If only they had a video of how to unpack. Disposing might require burning. ;)

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
I ordered my 2019 JLU Sport S just before Black Friday last year. That meant I got to order all sorts of goodies on that day and saved hundreds of dollars. My biggest purchases were LOD Destroyer front and rear bumpers and rock sliders. Not having a heated garage in Wisconsin meant that I had to wait months to put them on. I'll never forget the packaging. Not only a bit of a struggle (worth it) to get out but then getting rid of all those boxes! I love the product though. I can't wait till this year's sale so I can get the next round of upgrades. For me it's been a slow work in progress and I kind of enjoy slowly modding my baby. It gives me something to daydream about!

IMG_20191008_150252.jpg

JCJR824

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
I ordered my 2019 JLU Sport S just before Black Friday last year. That meant I got to order all sorts of goodies on that day and saved hundreds of dollars. My biggest purchases were LOD Destroyer front and rear bumpers and rock sliders. Not having a heated garage in Wisconsin meant that I had to wait months to put them on. I'll never forget the packaging. Not only a bit of a struggle (worth it) to get out but then getting rid of all those boxes! I love the product though. I can't wait till this year's sale so I can get the next round of upgrades. For me it's been a slow work in progress and I kind of enjoy slowly modding my baby. It gives me something to daydream about!

IMG_20191008_150252.jpg
Nice Jeep! I just picked mine up and want to get the LOD Destroyer Rear bumper and sliders, Rugged Ridge Venator Front Bumper, and DV8 fender liners. Where did you get them for Black Friday?

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
Nice Jeep! I just picked mine up and want to get the LOD Destroyer Rear bumper and sliders, Rugged Ridge Venator Front Bumper, and DV8 fender liners. Where did you get them for Black Friday?
Northridge 4x4 I believe. I ordered stuff from all over but looking at my old back statement just now it looks like most was spent there. I do remember that I saved a grand total of just over $800 on all my purchases. That made is very pleased! This year I'm debating on which upgrades to go for? I can't do new wheels/tires until these stock one wear out. So it'll be most likely a River Raider snorkel, or a whinch, or lights for the rear bumper, or a slick dashcam, or tube doors, or who knows??? Oh my, but I love finally being able to mod a Jeep. This is my 4th since I bought my first back in 1989. The first three were just utility/daily driver. This one's my first toy/daily driver with utility.

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
What are the cables from the the hood to the roof for?

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
What are the cables from the the hood to the roof for?
They are limb riser cables. My cowl was getting scratched up from brush. These help lift branches up and over the windshield. I installed the ones designed by Hauk Off-road.

I'm not sure why the other guy responded to your valid question?

Edited to note: the only thing I don't like is that I need to unbolt the hood catch so I can coil them up to tuck them inside the cab when I go through the touchless carwash. The robot sprayer arm thingy would most likely be snagged by them. This is only an issue in winter when I constantly wash off road salt and sand. Warmer weather and I hand wash my baby.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
I can't believe you can't believe I asked that question!

*It's something I've never seen.

wtf_01.gif
Yeah ,same here ! I was hoping someone would ask !

Last edited:

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
They are limb riser cables. My cowl was getting scratched up from brush. These help lift branches up and over the windshield. I installed the ones designed by Hauk Off-road.

I'm not sure why the other guy responded to your valid question?

Edited to note: the only thing I don't like is that I need to unbolt the hood catch so I can coil them up to tuck them inside the cab when I go through the touchless carwash. The robot sprayer arm thingy would most likely be snagged by them. This is only an issue in winter when I constantly wash off road salt and sand. Warmer weather and I hand wash my baby.
Interesting... it's not something I've ever thought about; hopefully they're effective. I checked them out on Hauk's website. Don't mind @higbyz; he's an ally & we get his brand of humor.

Thank you for the explanation... I learned something.

JustAJeepn

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Their packing was a lot. If I didn’t have to almost destroy the box they were shipped in to get them out and find it after they were completely installed I might have sent them back. Oh well...I’m sure they will get dinged up a little bit when wheeling.

00898B17-942F-42F3-9F4F-354C815AB82F.jpeg

BDAEA1F3-3307-46BB-A10C-031E92B93728.jpeg

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I completely get why LOD and other providers of product that could be subject to damage in transit use this stuff. Done correctly it can really well encapsulate and protect product, and stores before application, usually in 2 separate chemicals that combine (exothermically), in a fraction of the space of the expanded mix (where packaging materials storage space=$), of most alternatives like bubble wrap or styrofoam, the latter needing to be product surface specific.

Sadly, most of this stuff decomposes poorly, including the "green foam" that forms home insulation, it's name more deriving I've read from its creation from, in part, natural sources, than its ability to decompose with haste. It least its useful life isn't "shipping time" but the longevity of a building.

For a while packers were using popcorn as cusion. Great for decomposition, popped kernels don't expand further, meaning packers don't get any storage space advantages with it prior to its placement in boxes unless they store kernels and face whopping electric bills for expanded them with heat as needed.

I think we all agree that the hassels with unpacking are the lessor of two evils, the other being, in best case scenario, the vendor standing by product and the time and expense of exchanging damaged goods, or worse, making claims with the shipper.

I'd love to see a foam that decomposes quickly. At least with bubble wrap, the first and possibly second attribute of "reduce, reuse, recycle," can be applied; the first attribute a product of popping the bubbles prior to discarding.
Sponsored