Sponsored

Sliding in the wet. Jeep thing or better tires?

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I have started A thread about wet weather sliding with my KO2's on my Rubicon. I run pressure around 30. Still slides. I have been thinking of switching to a new tire witha silica compound. They seem. from tire reviews, to do much better on wet roads. There are not very many and not all sizes. Cooper ATS/4S is one. I think Bridgestone AT Revos are another. I don't think the factory Bridgestones are the Revo model are they? Also just found Dick Cepek Trail Runner EXP ( made by Cooper in fact) are a AT/MT hybrid with silica compound and one member said good in rain so far. The have a 315/70/17 also which I have been looking at. The Copper ATS 4S does not. Bridgestone Revo does go to 315 I think. getting confused looking at tires over the last month. I am wondering more if it is a light rear end , light truck in general. My Suburban and Yukons were like race cars tracking in wet compared to my Wrangler. Granted they are much heavier.
Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
That's essentially all there is to it. It's a tall vehicle with RWD. It may occasionally slip in the rain. Different tires aren't going to help. How many miles do you have on them? Brand new tires aren't quite broken in, and I've noticed traction on 30,000+ miles starts to get a tiny bit sketchy. But just take it easy on the throttle and learn where that slipping point is.

It's happened to me in my current JL with the Bridgestone A/Ts, my old TJ with a variety of tires, and one pants-shitting moment, years ago, in an XJ with BFGoodrich KO's. I wouldn't recommend using 4H in the rain, but some people say it won't cause any wear and tear, so to each their own on that.
From my experience, brand of tires DOES make a difference.

My 2018 Sport came with the Duellers - and the turbo 2.0. I had some scary incidents of losing grip on the rear axle while cornering. It was unacceptable. I put 285/70R17 Toyos (Open Country AT II) on the Jeep and it has made a WORLD of difference. I lost the rear end control with the Duellers cornering on dry pavement. Going straight on wet pavement, passing at highway speeds, I would lose grip when the vehicle downshifted and accelerated.

With that said...I believe part of my problem was the turbo kicking in, and me not expecting it or avoiding having it happen. With the Toyos though, when I corner hard the amount of slippage is easily controllable and not concerning.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, hard to believe the Toyos are better than Bridgestones. Now I am really confused. Can't decide on tires OR wheels. First world problems right. I am going to look at the Toyos now

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, hard to believe the Toyos are better than Bridgestones. Now I am really confused. Can't decide on tires OR wheels. First world problems right. I am going to look at the Toyos now
Mark, ALL tire brands and models have supporters and detractors, bad reviews and good reviews. There are others on this forum who swear by the Toyo Open Country, in its various tread patterns. The ones I have, have a 65,000 mile warranty. Also - and this is HUGE - you can try the tires for 45 days. If you don’t like them you can return them at no charge!

Keep in mind I went from Duellers at 245/75R17 to Toyos at 285/70R17. Bigger diameter and bigger contact patch.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Mark, do a thread search for “Toyo.” You will pick up some more opinions and information. Good luck and let us know what you decide! Others who come behind you may find your experience to be helpful.
Sponsored