Sponsored

Jeep Wrangler JL/JLU EcoDiesel First Drive Reviews and Performance Specs

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
This is a compliance car designed to raise the fleet average MPG. They'll make enough of them to sell them to people that want to max out the options list - but after the issues I had with my Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel, definitely not worth it. The fuel MPG is theoretical and works on a short EPA test. If you do a lot of city driving and idling, the particle filter will get plugged and it will go into "regen" mode, where it burns extra fuel to burn out the buildup, and during this MPG drops by a lot. Happened to me quite frequently.

Not an issue for highway drivers, but if you're just doing city commutes every day with little highway, it's a problem.

I'm still waiting for the plugin hybrid. Seems more practical and less complicated than getting a unique low-volume diesel engine. (the hybrid just adds a battery pack, and an EV motor integrated into the transmission bellhousing - rest of powertrain same as other Jeeps).
I hope people realize what a problem frequent short trips will be in a modern diesel.
Sponsored

Last edited:

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
It’s a fact that the JL’s current manual trans cannot handle the diesel’s torque.

It’s only rated to 370 nm (~273 lb/ft), far below the diesel’s 442 lb/ft
Lots of bigger and beefier M/T's if the demand was present to make the engineering a strong ROI.

The diesel JLUR's get a beefier ZF 8HP model but that already existed in the FCA fleet in some of the Hemi powered models. It is a true bolt in replacement.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Lots of bigger and beefier M/T's if the demand was present to make the engineering a strong ROI.

The diesel JLUR's get a beefier ZF 8HP model but that already existed in the FCA fleet in some of the Hemi powered models. It is a true bolt in replacement.
Yes, and ZF also offers the 8HP90 that’s even stronger than 8HP75. There is a line of AT options with bacislly the same physical size in ZF’s lineup.

Part of the problem is nobody offers a manual diesel anymore, so there aren’t options. In order to get a steep first gear that can handle high torque, you need a physically large gear set that would be too big to fit in a Wrangler.

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
It makes me laugh a little hearing all the hate about the diesel engine and trying to justify the cost of it. First, if you are buying a Jeep to save money your an idiot! You won't, you will add things to it, change it and modify it with things you need and things you don't need. If you are looking for fuel economy then just go buy a Prius and get over it.

Second, if you can't afford the extra $3,200 it cost then don't get it. Some people just don't have the money...it is ok! Thirdly, I have been driving a 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Turbo Diesel...I hear all the same crap about how I would never be able to cost justify it. I got it because I wanted and and wanted the torque and power. I put a chip on it years ago and get 21 or 22 MPG on the highway...not to mention can blow any gaser 2500HD away.

The final that no one ever talks about or mentions, I have been looking at selling my truck and I was SHOCKED to discover I can get $8K to $9K more for the Diesel. So, one day when I decide to sell my 2020 Diesel Wrangler...I will get the $3,200 back not to mention all the the fun I had driving it...which will be priceless.

So, if you can afford it and you want it get it! If you have to justify it and can't afford it or your spouse won't let you get one, then don't. Can't wait to get mine! (P.S. it was my wife's idea to get a jeep! I wanted a Corvette! But she suggested a Jeep and an new Harley! Don't be jealous...I hit the wife Jackpot!)

Sponsored

bcampion

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-2020
[QUOTE=" - but after the issues I had with my Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel, definitely not worth it. .[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Great motor, torque. mileage, but leaves you stranded when you least expected, my Eco Diesel Grand Cherokee spent one month of ever year I owned it in the shop, All problems were emissions equipment failure, they covered under warranty, sold fast once warranty was up, so glad I sold it, even at a loss. I couldn't depend on it, reliability is most important to me.

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
I know a guy who had a 2015 Ram EcoDiesel. Total engine FUBAR at less than 80k miles... long battle over warranty and ended up in court.

Bottom line: the 3.0 EcoDiesel as made by VM Motori is a light duty, consumer grade hunk of crap. I can't recommend that motor to anyone.

Caveat Emptor!

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I think this will be a short- lived production run, due to the impending extinction of diesels for emissions penalties. They are being banned in many cities, and the expense getting them to pass emissions, and still perform as advertised has been a painful process.
As a niche vehicle, for military and off-road use, the torque numbers are fabulous. Overlanders will like this, 500 miles to a tank of fuel...
The electric drive train will deliver the torque, battery technology is advancing fast, electric pickups are in the near term, so this will probably be a short term run, in my opinion.
Now, about that electric Wrangler...

Andy-jr.

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 White JKU, 2012 Black JK 2018 White Grand Cherokee, 2001 TJ, 2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase
When I bought my 2012 JKU, the first year of the 3.6 it seemed to have all the haters out bashing it before it even hit the streets. I believe history is repeating itself. Haters are going to hate! That 3.6 of mine that has been good to me, i'll never buy another. Don't be mad that a new vehicle is coming out.

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
When I bought my 2012 JKU, the first year of the 3.6 it seemed to have all the haters out bashing it before it even hit the streets. I believe history is repeating itself. Haters are going to hate! That 3.6 of mine that has been good to me, i'll never buy another. Don't be mad that a new vehicle is coming out.
That would be a great analogy save for the fact that the 3.0 EcoDiesel is NOT new. Not anywhere close to it actually. There's nothing new about it other than dropping it into a JL or JT.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
That would be a great analogy save for the fact that the 3.0 EcoDiesel is NOT new. Not anywhere close to it actually. There's nothing new about it other than dropping it into a JL or JT.
Actually the 3.0 is 80% new. FCA is calling it the third generation EcoDiesel

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Its been re-engineered, and is NOT the same 3.0 that was in the Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500 a few years ago. Lessons learned, the design was changed.

Same with the 3.6, the one in the JL is different than the one that was in the JK. Improved designs.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I plopped an order for a 3.6. I’m all about the future of vehicles and gas mileage but we just aren’t there yet so I’ll drive conservative and get the best I can and have good (in FCA land) reliability with the 3.6.

The diesel is an odd ball. I agree. It’s made for hard core off road folks who need the biggest numbers and who don’t care about cost, pollution, or reliability. If that’s you’re thing so be it. I also agree it’s off that it’s geared for those folks who are the minority who get the two door but it’s not offered there. I’m sure number crunchers did the math to look for the most profit.

That said towing is unchanged. Cost higher. Maintenance higher. Reliability is lower and complexity higher. Sure the Mpg are higher but in terms of pollution I think most people when they find out their DPF is clogged and will be 4K to fix will just delete it and pump soot out the back end.

A clean fuel efficient diesel is a thing but negates the whole point of a diesel. Tons of power and rock solid reliability for hundreds of thousands of miles goes out the window with modern emission standards (which are good mind you).

The plug in when/if it happens will be offset by tax breaks so your break even cost on mpg savings should be faster if not instant. But those systems can become endless money pits as they age. You take a simple electric motor and a simple gasoline engine and combine them into a complex and expensive monstrosity. Pure EV would be more reliable and much simpler.

I’ll get my 3.6 for maybe 3-5 years and hopefully a midsize off road EV will exist by then that’s 50k.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
So, let me get this straight. Slower than the gas versions, by a lot. Heavier by 450lbs. Costs about $4000 more. Takes 250,000 miles of driving and fuel savings, to recoup the costs. Had a Diesel badge. Gee, its a winner and will sell out.
I was coming to that conclusion too. 442lb ft of torque sounds great. So does the fuel economy, but what about the downsides...

Isn’t diesel fuel more expensive, around the country, than premium?

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
It makes me laugh a little hearing all the hate about the diesel engine and trying to justify the cost of it. First, if you are buying a Jeep to save money your an idiot! You won't, you will add things to it, change it and modify it with things you need and things you don't need. If you are looking for fuel economy then just go buy a Prius and get over it.

Second, if you can't afford the extra $3,200 it cost then don't get it. Some people just don't have the money...it is ok! Thirdly, I have been driving a 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Turbo Diesel...I hear all the same crap about how I would never be able to cost justify it. I got it because I wanted and and wanted the torque and power. I put a chip on it years ago and get 21 or 22 MPG on the highway...not to mention can blow any gaser 2500HD away.

The final that no one ever talks about or mentions, I have been looking at selling my truck and I was SHOCKED to discover I can get $8K to $9K more for the Diesel. So, one day when I decide to sell my 2020 Diesel Wrangler...I will get the $3,200 back not to mention all the the fun I had driving it...which will be priceless.

So, if you can afford it and you want it get it! If you have to justify it and can't afford it or your spouse won't let you get one, then don't. Can't wait to get mine! (P.S. it was my wife's idea to get a jeep! I wanted a Corvette! But she suggested a Jeep and an new Harley! Don't be jealous...I hit the wife Jackpot!)
Not hating on the Diesel Jeep, just pointing out pros and cons.
So let me get this straight, you berate those who don't like what the Diesel Jeep has to offer, and equate that with not having enough money? Then say if they want it, they should just buy it?
Then you said you wanted a Vette, but your wife wanted you to get the Jeep. Now, I'm just saying "Jackpot". I'm stopping, before well. Just going to stop.
Sponsored