Sponsored

lemon law - swapping jeep, any suggestions?

FlatSixShooter

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara,997C2, 981S, 750LI, Shelby GTSC, 19VW Jetta and a lot of motorcycles
Lots of good ideas above.

What Issues lead to the buyback, if you don’t mind me asking? Thanks
Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I’d say Gladiator but at the same time they already had a big recall as well, do some research, in the end it’s really what you want. If you want something a little different again I’d say get a gladiator and talk them down so you can get a higher trim level. Just because they are allowing you to trade doesn’t mean you can’t talk them down right? And if that’s not the case take the buy back and then go out on your own and do it at a different dealer or same, who cares at that point as that loan will be gone.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I will say this...unless you really want a load of options, it can be a lot cheaper to get a Sport with the add-ons you need. I bought my '19 Sport straight off the lot in July, with LSD (which means 44 axles and A/T tires), AC, A/T, hard top, and tinted glass. Out the door was 32K.

I wanted a Jeep, not a MB...don't need power windows and locks, proximity this and auto-stop that, or an entertainment system that beats the one in my living room.

OP
OP

jimmydarnell

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL sport
Lots of good ideas above.

What Issues lead to the buyback, if you don’t mind me asking? Thanks
In GA you can claim lemon law if in the shop over 30 days (doesn't have to be consecutive). I had one issue with a code coming up but that only took a few days. The rest were steering related and was never fixed. Last thing they told me was that JEEP is aware of the issue and working on a solution.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jimmydarnell

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL sport
I’d say Gladiator but at the same time they already had a big recall as well, do some research, in the end it’s really what you want. If you want something a little different again I’d say get a gladiator and talk them down so you can get a higher trim level. Just because they are allowing you to trade doesn’t mean you can’t talk them down right? And if that’s not the case take the buy back and then go out on your own and do it at a different dealer or same, who cares at that point as that loan will be gone.
Buy back has not been discussed. I filed the Lemon law to just replace it so that is the road Im going down. The options are to match window stickers as best I can or MSRP to MSRP. So how good a "deal" I get I think is irrelevant.

OP
OP

jimmydarnell

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL sport
You are right, If I could build one it does get cheap but with Automatic and turbo etc, it still gets up over my price.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Buy back has not been discussed. I filed the Lemon law to just replace it so that is the road Im going down. The options are to match window stickers as best I can or MSRP to MSRP. So how good a "deal" I get I think is irrelevant.
Roger that just trying to brainstorm for ya

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Get the JL Sport S w/ the options you want, get some Rubi Takeoff wheels/tires and Rubi takeoff suspension from a 4dr hardtop/tow pkg for a nice 1 3/4" lift, add the slightly longer Mopar LCAs, and crack open a few beers, you be happy!

I would imagine the primary steering issues have been ironed out, my 2019 has been perfect in that regard as has the frame weld quality. Like another mentioned, having another lemon would be very bad luck and pretty unlikely :)
G'luck w/ your decision and hoping you have a flawless JL next time!

Sponsored

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
However, the odds of getting another lemon Jeep is pretty high.
more like low i have a 2018 that was built in Dec of 2018 and it's fine no steering problems but then again i knew what i was getting into when i bought my JL i had a 2003 Wrangler so i know how a jeep feels on road. it's not like driving a newer SUV it's more like driving an older car from the 70s.

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Any suggestions or ideas? I can also have one delivered but really think best local so I can drive it and ensure it also doesn't have the same list of issues. it looks like I get to swap out my Jeep. I sent in the Lemon Law form to Jeep and they called and said I can pick anything they make equal to the MSRP of my Jeep which is about $40,300. I can go down a little and get some cash back or I can go up and pay difference. Not looking to go too much higher but may have some wiggle room. Like 3k or so. I have a Sting Grey sport S currently.

Here is what I plan to look at:

MSRP 44,095 white Sahara hard top

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/s...=CAR_YEAR&sortDirection=ASC#listing=252281263

MSRP 40,345 white Sport hard top

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/s...=CAR_YEAR&sortDirection=ASC#listing=253201692

MSRP 39,730 white Sport premium soft top

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/s...=CAR_YEAR&sortDirection=ASC#listing=251562449

MSRP 40,345 Grey Sport hard top

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/s...=CAR_YEAR&sortDirection=ASC#listing=253636465

MSRP 44,860 Grey Willies hard top

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/s...=CAR_YEAR&sortDirection=ASC#listing=256307159

MSRP 43,025 Gladiator green hardtop

https://www.fivestarcdjr.com/new-Macon-2020-Jeep-+-GLADIATOR+SPORT+S+4X4-1C6HJTAG6LL161640
I'm curious, how did you go about filing the lemon law? Was it through your state or a lawyer?

OP
OP

jimmydarnell

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL sport
I'm curious, how did you go about filing the lemon law? Was it through your state or a lawyer?
Ga has a site that explains the process with a form you mail directly to JEEP. The way the law works, they have 30 days to reply I think. I did this myself.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

man id love to have the opportunity to pick out a new jeep. change to a rubi and a different color. not that im not happy with mine. and i dont envy the issues you've gone through to this point.

if you need a truck, gladiator. on saturdays my son has soccer. the folding chairs, folding wagon and canopy baaarely fit in the back of the jeep. the plastic walls are scratched from the canopy that is a few inches too long. i cant use a gladiator though due to my offroading purposes. my JLUS already gets high centered as it is.

last offroad run i went on this lady had a gladiator rubi with mopar lift on 35s. looked very good. she had to bypass a few obstacles though as the spotters were telling her she'd probably get stuck. hello 37s!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
man id love to have the opportunity to pick out a new jeep. change to a rubi and a different color. not that im not happy with mine. and i dont envy the issues you've gone through to this point.

if you need a truck, gladiator. on saturdays my son has soccer. the folding chairs, folding wagon and canopy baaarely fit in the back of the jeep. the plastic walls are scratched from the canopy that is a few inches too long. i cant use a gladiator though due to my offroading purposes. my JLUS already gets high centered as it is.

last offroad run i went on this lady had a gladiator rubi with mopar lift on 35s. looked very good. she had to bypass a few obstacles though as the spotters were telling her she'd probably get stuck. hello 37s!
Grass always looks greener on the other side!.
Sponsored