gpurp

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
I've run across a few references about sway bars being flipped. Can someone explain how this happens and how to prevent it?
Sponsored

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
I've run across a few references about sway bars being flipped. Can someone explain how this happens and how to prevent it?
Yes... Happens when sway bars links are too short an inch or so above parallel is where I run mine. IN the past (JK), EVO kits has supplied links several inches above. So long had to grind/cut frame stiffening tube in front because of interference.

OP
OP
gpurp

gpurp

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
I guess you mean an inch above parallel on flat ground. Seems like the endlink will pull the sway bar all the way down when drooping. At least until you run out of travel and both are in a straight line.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
I guess you mean an inch above parallel on flat ground. Seems like the endlink will pull the sway bar all the way down when drooping. At least until you run out of travel and both are in a straight line.
Yes, and at that point it's 50/50 which way the link will go when the suspension is compressed. If the sway bar flips in front, bad things can happen. It can get jammed into the tie rod potentially damaging it. Flipping the rear isn't as bad, but it can still take out a brake line, etc..

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
A lot of people do it that way but that's not the right way to do it. Depending on your lift height and length of your shocks you can still invert your bar using the "slightly above parallel" rule.

Only way to be sure is to get your frame on jack stands, take your wheels off, and fully droop out your axle. If your bar and end links make a straight line then you need longer links, even if that means your sway bar is not at the ideal angle at ride height.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
A lot of people do it that way but that's not the right way to do it. Depending on your lift height and length of your shocks you can still invert your bar using the "slightly above parallel" rule.

Only way to be sure is to get your frame on jack stands, take your wheels off, and fully droop out your axle. If your bar and end links make a straight line then you need longer links, even if that means your sway bar is not at the ideal angle at ride height.
Or just get sway bar disconnects.
Sponsored