Sponsored

$8 Tire Mounter & Back-Saver

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Thats a really good idea. Think ill try it out.

just need something for the spare now. Maybe one of those drywall lifters lol

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Great idea. I can't even lift my 33's. Not sure I can switch to 35's. no way I will be able to mount them!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
The first time I picked up my 37s, mounted on a heavy beadlock wheel, I though to myself how do normal people pick these up out on the trail? The tire and wheel is heavy and awkward to handle and I am a huge man that has powerlifter for decades.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I can’t lift my 35’s on Hutchinson beadlocks. They are 120 lbs all in. I would be screwed if I was by myself. I had to Mickey Mouse some crazy McGuyver contraption just to get my spare on and off.

This thing would be great to rotate the tires. I will just not rotate the spare.

Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
just a refresh bump for those that might be interested in saving their backs :)

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Have any of you used the shovel trick for mounting your tires on your Jeep?

Just put the tire on the shovel, push the end of the shovel down, it will lift the tire so that you can slide it onto the axle.

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Have any of you used the shovel trick for mounting your tires on your Jeep?

Just put the tire on the shovel, push the end of the shovel down, it will lift the tire so that you can slide it onto the axle.
My buddy taught me a trick that makes life easy. I *can* lift my 39s on beadlocks while standing, but its annoying, especially on the front where the hub just want to spin and run away from me.

The trick is to just sit on your ass and use your legs to assist. Makes it much easier.

Like you, I used to be a competitive powerlifter (not for decades, I'm only 29) and I'm still probably way stronger than most people, but I don't like to exert effort when not necessary.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
The trick is to just sit on your ass and use your legs to assist. Makes it much easier.
That’s what I would do for my old 35s. But I could still lift a 35 to put on the spare tire mount. It’s a PITA but I can do it.

Now I’m getting 37s. I’ve already got the new tire carrier installed. I’m 49 now but in much better shape than I was just a year ago (I’ve been lifting a lot). I’m curious to see how I fare.

BTW, after picking up a 35 for the first time, I started keeping a back brace in the Jeep. I didn’t hurt myself that time but I quickly became aware that I could.

Sponsored

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
That’s what I would do for my old 35s. But I could still lift a 35 to put on the spare tire mount. It’s a PITA but I can do it.

Now I’m getting 37s. I’ve already got the new tire carrier installed. I’m 49 now but in much better shape than I was just a year ago (I’ve been lifting a lot). I’m curious to see how I fare.

BTW, after picking up a 35 for the first time, I started keeping a back brace in the Jeep. I didn’t hurt myself that time but I quickly became aware that I could.
Oh believe me I get it! I deleted the spare going from 37s to 39s, but I hated lifting the spare 37 even being pretty damn strong. I usually just had my wife come out and help.

Good for you getting in great shape! Love hearing little stories like that.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Oh believe me I get it! I deleted the spare going from 37s to 39s, but I hated lifting the spare 37 even being pretty damn strong. I usually just had my wife come out and help.

Good for you getting in great shape! Love hearing little stories like that.
Yea, I was in excellent shape when I was in the Army. I could max the PT test back then. Over the years I went from 175 to 220lbs. A couple years ago I had enough of that. I fixed my diet, got a Peloton treadmill and started running. Then I discovered they had strength training classes. I tried out a series of those when the Covid thing hit and BAM I started looking pretty damn good. Actually I look like Mr Bean with lean muscles.. hahahahaha. But I’m down to 180lbs now. My knees thank me constantly..

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Yea, I was in excellent shape when I was in the Army. I could max the PT test back then. Over the years I went from 175 to 220lbs. A couple years ago I had enough of that. I fixed my diet, got a Peloton treadmill and started running. Then I discovered they had strength training classes. I tried out a series of those when the Covid thing hit and BAM I started looking pretty damn good. Actually I look like Mr Bean with lean muscles.. hahahahaha. But I’m down to 180lbs now. My knees thank me constantly..
That's awesome, love to hear it! I'm about 270lbs, maybe 20% body fat so pretty lean but not shredded by any means. I was around 300 when I was powerlifting competitively but that was just too heavy. Couldn't breath going up stairs, joints hurt, etc.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's awesome, love to hear it! I'm about 270lbs, maybe 20% body fat so pretty lean but not shredded by any means. I was around 300 when I was powerlifting competitively but that was just too heavy. Couldn't breath going up stairs, joints hurt, etc.
I thought about going that route and getting “swole” :LOL:
But, at the end of the day, my knees wound’t be any better for it (airborne and air assault saw to that). Also, that much weight isn’t great for the heart and my family has a history of heart disease issues. So I decided getting lean was the better option for me.

swflfireguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
When I rotate my tires, even to get my 33's on the spare, I use a plank and a work platform since I can't manhandle it that high anymore
Sponsored