Sponsored

Mounting a Smittybilt 2781 Compressor?

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I bought the compressor not realizing it how big it is and before I had my JL.

Now I'm looking for places to mount it to my rig so I can wire it to my aux switch for easy inflating.

Anyone aware of any mounts or locations I could install this thing? I've got the V6, I'm curious if the location of the 48v etorque system could be used underneath?

Thanks
Sponsored

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I bought one in Feb and I used on trip to the Rockies. I leave it in it's carrying bag and only take it when I'm planning an off road trip. Having a 2 door Rubicon, space is at a premium and the compressor is something I only need when I plan an off road trip

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
I bought one in Feb and I used on trip to the Rockies. I leave it in it's carrying bag and only take it when I'm planning an off road trip. Having a 2 door Rubicon, space is at a premium and the compressor is something I only need when I plan an off road trip
Sorry to revive a crazy old thread but wondering if it will fit under the rear seat?

Sponsored

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
Sorry to revive a crazy old thread but wondering if it will fit under the rear seat?
No it won't, at least not in my 2 door. I put it behind the seat and strap it down so it doesn't move and bounce around when I go off roading.

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
No it won't, at least not in my 2 door. I put it behind the seat and strap it down so it doesn't move and bounce around when I go off roading.
Thanks, I was trying to figure out if it can live in the Jeep permanently or if I will have to keep it with my offroad gear. I appreciate the response.

OP
OP
Moregone

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks, I was trying to figure out if it can live in the Jeep permanently or if I will have to keep it with my offroad gear. I appreciate the response.
If I were going to live full time I would definitely make the jump up to a ARB Dual so you could mount in the engine bay or under the front seat.

What I've done to make the 2781 more friendly is..

- Got a nice quality and slightly bigger bag from Harbor Freight (makes packing and unpacking a breeze and allows my to consolidate my tire repair stuff into one bag)
- I ran an Anderson connector with large gauge wire from the battery to behind my steel bumper. I trimmed the end off the compressor and added the matching Anderson connector. (this allows me to connect the compressor without having to open the hood)

I do still consider hard mounting it in the rear cubby with the Rusty's mount. I will want to have the XG gamma bags for rear storage to replace the lost cubby space.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
If I were going to live full time I would definitely make the jump up to a ARB Dual so you could mount in the engine bay or under the front seat.

What I've done to make the 2781 more friendly is..

- Got a nice quality and slightly bigger bag from Harbor Freight (makes packing and unpacking a breeze and allows my to consolidate my tire repair stuff into one bag)
- I ran an Anderson connector with large gauge wire from the battery to behind my steel bumper. I trimmed the end off the compressor and added the matching Anderson connector. (this allows me to connect the compressor without having to open the hood)

I do still consider hard mounting it in the rear cubby with the Rusty's mount. I will want to have the XG gamma bags for rear storage to replace the lost cubby space.
Do you have a parts list for the wiring, this a brilliant idea.

OP
OP
Moregone

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Do you have a parts list for the wiring, this a brilliant idea.
So it is only fair to mention I got the idea from this video -

I started off with the small style connectors shown in the video but had 2 problems. I ordered the exact amount of pieces I needed and made a mistake, but the connections were too small for my liking so I went and went ahead and ordered the bigger style. I chose these because of the end caps it comes with knowing the vehicle side would be tucked away in the bumper. 6-10 Gauge Battery Cable Quick Connect Disconnect

I also realized I wanted to add a fuse since I don't like the idea of large gauge wire being run without safety in mind. 80amp Fuse

I had 6 gauge cable and all the fittings from past projects. You don't need too many connectors, just a couple for the battery terminals I believe. The connectors come with their own and the fuse didn't need any.

Let me know if you have any questions, be glad to help.

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
So it is only fair to mention I got the idea from this video -

I started off with the small style connectors shown in the video but had 2 problems. I ordered the exact amount of pieces I needed and made a mistake, but the connections were too small for my liking so I went and went ahead and ordered the bigger style. I chose these because of the end caps it comes with knowing the vehicle side would be tucked away in the bumper. 6-10 Gauge Battery Cable Quick Connect Disconnect

I also realized I wanted to add a fuse since I don't like the idea of large gauge wire being run without safety in mind. 80amp Fuse

I had 6 gauge cable and all the fittings from past projects. You don't need too many connectors, just a couple for the battery terminals I believe. The connectors come with their own and the fuse didn't need any.

Let me know if you have any questions, be glad to help.
I've been considering something similar. I was thinking of running to a connector in the rear cargo area though. This would allow me to "install" the compressor when hitting the trail, then disconnect it when I get home to store it in the garage. I originally thought I might try to mount it somewhere on the rear frame, but now I think I'll just cargo strap it down. I do have the 4-door, so space is not the premium it would be in a 2-door.
I think I'm going to run it to one of my 40A Aux switch leads under the hood. That gives me a switch and fuse for safety. Amazon describes it has having its own 30A fuse, so I should be good.
Are you still happy with yours?

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
I was contemplating this same thing after reading above. But I have the SB # 2781 Compressor and it has a max draw of 45 amps. Thus the weak link in this chain would be the 40 amp fuse and switch in the Jeep. Not good IMO.....and I dont want to learn this the hard way.

Rethinking now to wire directly to the battery with an in-line 50 amp fuse. I am uncertain of the wire size on the SM 2781 Compressor. Anyone KNOW? I will likely need to add about 5 feet of wire between the battery and the bumper and there mate the Anderson connections......and use about 5 feet more wire to add to the SB compressor wires.....thus an additional 10 feet of wire added (allowing me to better position the compressor on either side at the front of the vehicle.

I think 6 or 8 gauge copper wire is required.....but need to spend time doing more current carrying research. I dont think the 10 gauge wire as suggested above is going to be adequate when adding 10 feet of wire. (I'm not great as an electrician.....so I tend to err on the conservative side if I do the research). I think the 45 amp or 50 Amp Anderson type connectors are also gonna be required.

Must be someone that has done this with correct wire sizes.

Last edited:

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
The table shows that for 15 feet of wire that 8 gauge would be a good choice.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting a Smittybilt 2781 Compressor? The-Formula-on-How-to-Find-What-Gauge-Wire-for-the-Am

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I ended up with a Viair 400p automatic. 30A draw, so I just wired it to my 7-pin trailer plug. If I start tripping fuses, I'll switch to an anderson under the dash on one of the 40A lines.
Sponsored