EVO MFG | NITTO | ARB | KING JL Wrangler Build [SEMA 2018 - JLWF Coverage]

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Expedition, Escape
Climber? That’s one of the reasons we ordered a Wrangler. We were stranded after an easy but long approach into a canyon, and decided we were getting a Jeep. Granted we were off-road in a Corolla... so a Wrangler was a bit overkill. But we love it, and our dog is definitely enjoying it more than the tiny sedan.

I was thinking the same thing. Most of the tents I’ve seen are massive. We’ve always used small footprint, light tents, even when camping with our dog. Including my dog, wife and a 100 lb tent, we’d only be at about 450 lbs, so that rack should be fine for us. But if/when we get a rack, we’ll likely get a Gobi or similar so that we can run it with the soft top. The fun part would be figuring out how to get a massive dog into a RTT...
I am looking at the EVO website checking out the roof rack. It does mention the dynamic weight capability, but no mention of max static weight. I also looked at the pictures and it almost looks like with the bracket up front you could not open the back doors due to the trim material - see lower left edge.
upload_2019-4-30_21-41-6.png
Sponsored

Big Husky

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Photographer
Climber? That’s one of the reasons we ordered a Wrangler. We were stranded after an easy but long approach into a canyon, and decided we were getting a Jeep. Granted we were off-road in a Corolla... so a Wrangler was a bit overkill. But we love it, and our dog is definitely enjoying it more than the tiny sedan.

I was thinking the same thing. Most of the tents I’ve seen are massive. We’ve always used small footprint, light tents, even when camping with our dog. Including my dog, wife and a 100 lb tent, we’d only be at about 450 lbs, so that rack should be fine for us. But if/when we get a rack, we’ll likely get a Gobi or similar so that we can run it with the soft top. The fun part would be figuring out how to get a massive dog into a RTT...
Climber and former rope rescue, yupp.
So they got back to me and said: "distributed dynamic load rating of 154lbs." and like @coneklr 's response "Still doing further testing at this time."
So kind of a let down so far.

Big Husky

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
I am looking at the EVO website checking out the roof rack. It does mention the dynamic weight capability, but no mention of max static weight. I also looked at the pictures and it almost looks like with the bracket up front you could not open the back doors due to the trim material - see lower left edge.
It doesn't interfere with door opening, as long as you tighten it down good enough.

furrandchalk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Climber and former rope rescue, yupp.
So they got back to me and said: "distributed dynamic load rating of 154lbs." and like @coneklr 's response "Still doing further testing at this time."
So kind of a let down so far.
For what it’s worth, Thule says, “the weight capacity of the tent in use (static weight) can exceed the driving weight capacity of the rack/vehicle because the loads are dispersed throughout the tent and partially supported by the ladder. As a guideline, the static roof rack capacity is approximately three times the dynamic weight capacity (roof rack and tent included).”

https://support.thule.com/hc/en-us/...rossbars-carry-the-weight-of-my-rooftop-tent-

Personally, I wouldn’t put a tent up there until they provide a static rating.

Big Husky

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
For what it’s worth, Thule says, “the weight capacity of the tent in use (static weight) can exceed the driving weight capacity of the rack/vehicle because the loads are dispersed throughout the tent and partially supported by the ladder. As a guideline, the static roof rack capacity is approximately three times the dynamic weight capacity (roof rack and tent included).”

https://support.thule.com/hc/en-us/...rossbars-carry-the-weight-of-my-rooftop-tent-

Personally, I wouldn’t put a tent up there until they provide a static rating.
Glad to know their static to dynamic weight guidelines with the 3:1 ratio, though not universal to all brands. Makes me feel a bit better. Yeah I'll probably wait as well. But Bantam is coming up here in Pennsylvania soon! haha

Sponsored

Big Husky

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
Has anyone heard if @EVOMFG came to any conclusions from their "testing" of the rack + tent yet?

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Has anyone heard if @EVOMFG came to any conclusions from their "testing" of the rack + tent yet?
I saw a guy on instagram (@californiaroamer) running that combo for awhile and asked him about it. He didn't recommend it nor have any good things to say about putting an RTT on that rack.

Big Husky

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
I saw a guy on instagram (@californiaroamer) running that combo for awhile and asked him about it. He didn't recommend it nor have any good things to say about putting an RTT on that rack.
Gotchya. Thanks.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
I'm betting that rack gets updated soon. Their version for the Gladiator is aluminum.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
There are a few companies making internal skeletal structures to add load capabilities to the hard top.
Sponsored