Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
  • Banned
Welp, looks like my issues continue with my 19' Wrangler.

About 20 minutes into highway driving, cruise control set to 65, I smell a strong burning odor.. My Auto/Stop System light illuminates on my dashboard, service start/stop system... I think nothing of it. About 5 minutes later my gas mileage tanks from 20mpg down to 12, I give it some gas and there is little to no throttle input. I pull off the side of the highway, turn the car, check my fuses, all seems fine. Get back into the car, about 10 or so minutes later the check engine light comes on, starts to blink repeatedly... car feels like its misfiring on me. I get home, run the codes aaaaaaaand .... see below...

1Qc15a2xbEIVP3nNRpsAp_o7Hcn74M38MFhc-WcF5PCxHdE0oauAUAJJaBtSA-9IMgpYybeOZ4yujd54wA=w578-h1027-no.jpg

5DoqAm8SSXXj70shF25GyRF9vB0bk_448glFiLna8bIQl152Vee3w8T6mggQWwzF0mk9tgKvG-B1T0RHfo=w578-h1027-no.jpg
pQewbj7TGvgtFxTd4Ys89k3joCLKY9PXdaTdInfeT6L82lgFumDruMLoJzTQKidTFPH3YxujBTBG5aI83w=w578-h1027-no.jpg

Brand new Jeep, 5200 miles.... Filled up with 93 Octane from Exxon today.

Anyway, I let the engine sit for about an hour before I turn it over again. Check engine light is still on but no longer flashing, Stop/Start is now functioning. I drive the Jeep around for 45 minutes or so, driving it hard, lugging the engine and no matter what I do I cannot replicate the issue anymore.

I'm not sure if I should be happy or pissed that now when I take it into the dealership tomorrow they are going to tell me they cannot replicate the issue....

Thoughts, comments, any constructive theories are welcome.

*I've also had an ongoing issue with a loud tapping sound at idle see below thread
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/knocking-sound-at-idle.34498/
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
  • Banned
Took it to the dealership today, they finally recognize that the tapping sound I was getting from the engine is an issue that probably caused my problems yesterday. They are going to do a complete engine tear down with the possibility of replacing the engine.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Took it to the dealership today, they finally recognize that the tapping sound I was getting from the engine is an issue that probably caused my problems yesterday. They are going to do a complete engine tear down with the possibility of replacing the engine.
Sorry to hear about the woes she's been giving you! These really are great vehicles, but unfortunately an occasional bad apple makes it to the farm stand. Did you get anywhere with the buy back mentioned in your other thread?

Sponsored

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
  • Banned
Did you get anywhere with the buy back mentioned in your other thread?
Nope, since they were stating that there wasn't anything wrong after the initial fix I missed my window for a buyback.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, since they were stating that there wasn't anything wrong after the initial fix I missed my window for a buyback.
Like my grand dad used to say, "if it were raining pussy, I'd get hit with an asshole." Or the g rated version, when others could overhear, "never dropped a quarter that rolled back to me."

My fingers are crossed that all works out for you!

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
  • Banned
Thanks bud.... I love my Wrangler but this is def the last time I drop 45thousand on a Chrysler ever again.

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
  • Banned
Update from dealer, they believe the cause of the misfires was from a faulty valve cover gasket allowing oil to leak onto an O2 sensor. Also stated they think my ticking sound is coming from the top end are they are going to start throwing parts at it...

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU

Sponsored

5Petes

First Name
Rustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU in Punkn
Did you get resolution to this with Jeep? I have had the same valve cover gasket replaced twice and a whole new valve cover just replaced and got it back today. I opened a case with Jeep to see what that gets me but I'm at 30 days of downtime total since the end of October and only 6800 miles when I dropped it off the third time. Sad part is, this one drives like a dream and I have this problem instead.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Did you get resolution to this with Jeep? I have had the same valve cover gasket replaced twice and a whole new valve cover just replaced and got it back today. I opened a case with Jeep to see what that gets me but I'm at 30 days of downtime total since the end of October and only 6800 miles when I dropped it off the third time. Sad part is, this one drives like a dream and I have this problem instead.
Hi Rustin,
We sincerely regret to heat about your experience. It appears you are already working with our customer care team. Should you ever need any assistance getting in contact with your case manager, please feel free to PM us.
Alex
JeepCares

5Petes

First Name
Rustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU in Punkn
Got the call today that Jeep doesnā€™t really care and are leaving me to chase lemon law if I want anything else to happen and that my case is being closed. I donā€™t want my money back or to get something for free, I want a Jeep that will run reliably when my wife and teenager are behind the wheel. I guess weā€™ll see if I can make it more than a week this time before Iā€™m back for round four.
Sponsored