TrickyO

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Overland
Hi Jaydee,
I can attest to the issues of not having paint protection. I have the JLU Overland. Just back from a trip to Pt Plomer with the camper and now have lots of stone chips on my rear fenders. I removed the side steps and put the Rubicon Rock Sliders on, so this exposes the fender. Will be putting mud flaps on. Would it be worth getting the fenders covered in film? Are you the best in Sydney?
Thanks,
Richard

OP
OP
Jaydee_S

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Hi Jaydee,
I can attest to the issues of not having paint protection. I have the JLU Overland. Just back from a trip to Pt Plomer with the camper and now have lots of stone chips on my rear fenders. I removed the side steps and put the Rubicon Rock Sliders on, so this exposes the fender. Will be putting mud flaps on. Would it be worth getting the fenders covered in film? Are you the best in Sydney?
Thanks,
Richard
I definitely think its worth putting some film there.. mind you, there should of been some factory film in that location? Or maybe that only came on the Rubicons.. My Rubi had some film there which i replaced anyway. Though i highly recommend it if you want to save it from getting too destroyed over the years. Im happy to make a kit for this high impact area which can be applied easily enough, though this wont be until end of November at earliest when im back from the states if you can hold out.

I would also never say that we are the best, but I feel we are pretty good at what we do. For example here are 3 cars we finished this week and handed over (Plus my car in the middle to make the shot a bit better haha) All complete full car wraps. 2x Ferarri 488 Pista's and 1 Mclaren Senna. These are the kind of cars we are usually work on, which in turn requires us to install film at extremely high quality as you'll never meet a pickier person than some of these super car owners lol.

20191026_022506.jpg

Last edited:

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I definitely think its worth putting some film there.. mind you, there should of been some factory film in that location? Or maybe that only came on the Rubicons.. My Rubi had some film there which i replaced anyway. Though i highly recommend it if you want to save it from getting too destroyed over the years. Im happy to make a kit for this high impact area which can be applied easily enough, though this wont be until end of November at earliest when im back from the states if you can hold out.

I would also never say that we are the best, but I feel we are pretty good at what we do. For example here are 3 cars we finished this week and handed over (Plus my car in the middle to make the shot a bit better haha) All complete full car wraps. 2x Ferarri 488 Senna's and 1 Mclaren Senna. These are the kind of cars we are usually work on, which in turn requires us to install film at extremely high quality as you'll never meet a pickier person than some of these super car owners lol.

20191026_022506.jpg
I’d have to agree. Any shop which is being trusted with dozens of high-6 and 7-figure vehicles didn’t get there without incredible attention to detail. Reminds me of MrJWW’s videos about his F12 TDF’s paint correction and ppf application at NVN London. Perfectionism redefined.

Sponsored

niJL

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Did you ever make a template for the windshield? I’m interested in getting some precut windshield protection film, but haven’t had any luck.

OP
OP
Jaydee_S

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Did you ever make a template for the windshield? I’m interested in getting some precut windshield protection film, but haven’t had any luck.
Hey Brandon, I did make some pre cut patterns, i tried it a few times but then on my last 2 installs i realised its way way easier to use a slightly oversize cut piece and them trim back hard against the edge of the glass. Its super easy on the JLs as the entire edge of the glass is exposed and you just run a knife/blade along that as a guide. Gives a look as if nothing is installed..

Your best bet if you want a super clean install is to visit a friend of mine Ryan who owns Protective Films Solutions in Santa Ana, as that should be a lot closer to you than me in Sydney =)

They do this day in and day out, though it may be pretty pricey =/

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
Someone said the film will last 2-3 years, then you need to replace it with a new one. Is that true?

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Someone said the film will last 2-3 years, then you need to replace it with a new one. Is that true?
No, warranty is for 10 years on xpel and you can also add the stuff to your insurance policy for non-warranty damage.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jaydee_S

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
All depends on the film. I have used quite a lot of them and currently i use and prefer Suntek Reaction film. It comes with a 12 year warranty too.
https://suntekfilms.com/paintprotection/ppf-reaction

Though, please note that while companies will offer a high warranty period, it is based on the fact that the film is well maintained and looked after which honestly isnt difficult.

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
All depends on the film. I have used quite a lot of them and currently i use and prefer Suntek Reaction film. It comes with a 12 year warranty too.
https://suntekfilms.com/paintprotection/ppf-reaction

Though, please note that while companies will offer a high warranty period, it is based on the fact that the film is well maintained and looked after which honestly isnt difficult.
thank you.
sorry, I didn't ask properly..
I know for street cars, their films are expecting to last long..

i just concern about film against bush. I went to sone narrow trails, and there are some scratches left on the side of car.

Are films strong enough to against bush and still hold up for years?

Thanks...

OP
OP
Jaydee_S

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
thank you.
sorry, I didn't ask properly..
I know for street cars, their films are expecting to last long..

i just concern about film against bush. I went to sone narrow trails, and there are some scratches left on the side of car.

Are films strong enough to against bush and still hold up for years?

Thanks...
Mine has been wrapped for over 2 years now and it still looks great.

Ive done a few extremely tight trails overgrown in bush. The mirrors and hard top got some light scratches and the doors and all look absolutely perfect. If you are in Sydney, Im happy to show you my jeep first hand.

It takes a lot to rip through the film, though one thing is for sure, it'll give you peace of mind driving up against bushes. I obviously try to avoid doing that as best as possible, but when i do, i know there is a very low chance that i'll actually damage the paint.

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
Mine has been wrapped for over 2 years now and it still looks great.

Ive done a few extremely tight trails overgrown in bush. The mirrors and hard top got some light scratches and the doors and all look absolutely perfect. If you are in Sydney, Im happy to show you my jeep first hand.

It takes a lot to rip through the film, though one thing is for sure, it'll give you peace of mind driving up against bushes. I obviously try to avoid doing that as best as possible, but when i do, i know there is a very low chance that i'll actually damage the paint.
:like:
sounds good.
I should add it into my list….

Johnjohn

First Name
Stevens
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti
Hey All,

As some of you know, I apply paint protection film to cars by trade and i finally took delivery of my JL Rubicon nearly 2 weeks ago now. Many months ago i was talking about wrapping my car in one of the early threads to provide protection to all the painted surfaces (and lights) and a few of you were interested in that as well.. I'd thought i'd show off my new pride and joy and some of the photos of the process and final result.

I ended up wrapping every painted panel on my Rubicon (So everything excluding hard top) which also includes the all the hinges. This week im going to trial some special windscreen film as well to try and prevent some of those dreaded cracked windscreens we keep hearing about.

We use templates for most installs which means we print out a pattern and apply it to the car to minimise the use of knives of cars. On my car, we did the bonnet by hand to get the best finish and for the fact i wanted to preserve the factory rubicon decals on the hood so i hand cut around those and will be applying a satin paint protection film on that to keep them looking factory.

The film i used on my personal car was STEK dynoshield and some of the features of the film are:

• Glossy Finish - adds awesome shine to the car
  • Hydrophobic (Advanced water repelling properties)
  • Anti-Contamination (Easy to remove contaminants)
  • Stain Resistant
  • Fast Recovery Self - Healing (by heat or hot water)

The self healing will remove most light scratches and and swirl marks with a bit of heat (Be it from the sun on a hot day, heat gun, hair drier or even some warm/hot water) Its actually that good.

Now i dont know if there are any lines im crossing in these forums by posting this, Im not trying to sell anything, just showing that it would probably be a good investment for anyone out there.

In addition, I applied Gyeon Matte ceramic coating to the black roof sections, Gloss ceramic coatings to all 5 wheels to make cleaning them MUCH EASIER and Gyeon trim to all the plastic sections to give all of that a bit of protection as well.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me. =)

My car out in the sun. Honestly photos just dont do this colour justice.. it looks so good in person. (everything wrapped in this photo)
Jeep Wrangler JL Paint Protection Film 20191026_022506

We wrapped the front end of a Ferrari F40 last week, you can see how much more glossy it looks compared to the rest of the car. The owner is now asking us to wrap the rest of the car as he loved the finish that much and that F40 has a cool price tag of about 2.4 million... But lets be honest, that jeep steals the shot =)

Examples of the templates we use to plot out film.

Drivers door half done

Pre cut out door lock and door handles.

Front template to cover everything you see here. all the green, all the silver/grey and the lights.

Front fender starting to be wrapped.

The film turns matte/satin colours gloss as you can see in the "C and O" in this picture. the "B and I" have already been hand cut out. This is something i wouldnt normally do for a customer car as there is a higher risk of cutting the paint (even though we are confident in doing this) Though we would normally wrap over the sticker/decals or remove them and replace. As the film is hydrophobic, if we were to remove and replace the decals, they simply wouldnt stick to the film well. Oh and in the letter B, thats not a scratch or cut mark.. just a bit of fluff that came off the towel after wiping it (didnt realise it was in the picture until i just posted this)

All door sills are completely wrapped. We wrap from where it touches the black plastic molding all the way under the car where the pinch seem is (We removed the rock rails to get full coverage)

Additionally, we are one of the few installers that wraps every edge possible. on the doors for example, we will wrap the front and back of the doors as well as the top and the bottom so that A) you cant see the edge of the film apart from on the corners and B) you get maximum protection and security against the film lifting on the edges.

I hope this gives a little bit of an insight into the world of paint protection film for anyone who doesnt know about it. While it isnt the cheapest to apply, I cannot stress enough that you get what you pay for.

Retail price to do a full car like the Rubicon would typically be anywhere from 4500 to 5500. but all shops will generally work with you into what exact coverage you are after be it just the front, just the sides, just lower doors, etc.. Some shops will also quote a lot cheaper, but please be careful if anyone takes that approach as you do get what you pay for.

Some of the cheaper shops dont use kits and hence will be hand cutting every edge on your car and potentially cutting the paint. Some shops wont supply as much coverage as others and some shops have quality control issues in keeping contamination down from being stuck under the film (such as dust, hair, etc). We pride ourselves on max coverage and quality of the install.

Some of our background to show that we hopefully know what we are talking about, is that we wrapped the very first Mclaren Senna in Australia start of year, will be wrapping another full Mclaren Senna next week, currently wrapping 2x Ferrari 488 Pista's, Just finished a Lamborghini Urus and and Ferrari 458 Challenge (race car) plus have done more Porsche GT2 RS and GT3 RS wraps than we can count on our own hands. These are some of the high end cars we have done, though we obviously wrap any car that may come our way. So if anyone needs advice on getting their car wrapped (even if its by another shop, I'd be more than happy to give you some pointers to ask them about)

Cheers,
Jaydee (MINTJL)
I am looking at possibly doing a matte wrap. I am not all familiar with the correct wraps to achieve that effect. What do you recommend?
Sponsored