Sponsored

Anyone running the Milestar Patagonia M/T tire?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
For what it's worth: The first set we bought was for my cousin's lifted Ram 2500 and now has 25,000 miles on them and they are wearing evenly and have several 32nds of tread to go. We rotate them in a cross-rotation pattern every oil change (7,500 miles or so) and monitor air pressure. They have been fantastic tires on his 7,000+ lbs. truck.
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
We receieved about 5 inches of snow yesterday. The tires did well.

My experience:

2 sets of 38x13.50r17 Milestar Patagonia. Both sets did well in winter.

1 set of 40x13.50r17 Milestar Patagonia. Did horrible in winter.

I have had other brands of 38s and 40s. 38s have always done well in winter, 40s have always done poorly.

I'm not certain what causes this. A couple ideas:

1. The extra two inches causes a slightly larger contact patch and floats around.

2. The tread is spread out further possibly.

3. The less backspacing required for 40s sticks the tires out further possibly throwing off weight distribution.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

My experience:

I have had other brands of 38s and 40s. 38s have always done well in winter, 40s have always done poorly.

1. The extra two inches causes a slightly larger contact patch and floats around.

3. The less backspacing required for 40s sticks the tires out further possibly throwing off weight distribution.
I’ve always been told a slightly narrower than stock tire is preferable for a winter tire, as it allows you to bite down past the snow to more packed/road for better traction. It’s likely the 40’s just float too much.

dcam

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I'm not sponsored and I've been running a set of Milestar Patagonias 38"x13.5 for just over 5,000 miles that I paid for out of my pocket. These tires have been on sand, wet roads, grass, mild muddy conditions, hard pack, boulders, different types of rock, a couple of water crossings - mostly the type of terrain you will find in CA and AZ. They've also been to Moab over the summer in the dry. They've held up well and are well balanced, but it took a lot of weights to balance if that is a concern to people.

Pros - cost, work really well off-road, not chunking as of yet after lots of hard rock/off-roading, comfortable, quietest 38inch I've had on the road, light weight as compared to other brands in same size.

Cons - sidewall tread is not my favorite/it looks more like an AT, tend to wear faster than other 38 MT's that I've had.

Who is this tire ideal for? At the price point, Patagonias are a really good buy for hard working tires that are quiet, do well off road and can live up to most of the hype. I've had them aired down many times to single digits on Method Beadlocks without tearing a sidewall. This is more of a hybrid tire that is not quite an MT, but is more aggressive than an AT tire. If you spend more time on road and use this tire for aggressive overlanding or off roading, it will hold up fine and you will be happy. If you want extreme performance as found in a more aggressive MT specific tire and are wiling to pay more for a better balanced tire that lasts longer, then there are other options that you should consider.

I have multiple wheel sets and Jeeps and I will buy another set of the 38's for one of my Jeeps that spends about 25% of it's time over landing and pulling a light weight adventure trailer and the rest of the time on road getting to and from the trails. For another Jeep that I use primarily off road (85% offroad/15% on road), I have 40 inch Nittos.

When it snows in CA, I'll do snow run with the Jeep on 38 Milestars, but others have already given their opinions on the tire's capability in snow so you can add to the list of pros and cons.

Final take: I've become a fan of Milestar Patagonias and would buy another set. I just hope the price doesn't keep climbing. I also wouldn't want them to change their compound to make them last longer if that meant sacrificing the rock climbing grip. I'd keep them just as they are, but maybe improve the mold so they were better balanced.

Hope this helps people.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I'm still waiting to see what the Norm is with these tires as far as longevity. If they wear down to SLICKS at 20k that's a no go for me. I'd be replacing them every 1.5yrs. Screw that noise.

I think I'm either going Cooper STT Pro or Nitto Ridge Grapplers next. Although honestly the KO2's are serving just fine for what I use my jeep for.
Go with the K02's then. They run small thought but quiet and last a long time. I'm leaning 38 pat's but cant help thinking I'm making a mistake.

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Walmart is selling 38x1350x17 in the 200 range. They even have a 38x1250x17 available for even less. Does Walmart mount and balance tires?

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Walmart is selling 38x1350x17 in the 200 range. They even have a 38x1250x17 available for even less. Does Walmart mount and balance tires?
The milestar 38/13.50/17 is $249 + tax at Walmart in a proper load c.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
The milestar 38/13.50/17 is $249 + tax at Walmart in a proper load c.
Walmart will not mount and balance an oversized tire. They will only mount and balance stock sized, nothing else.

Last I checked the tires were listed for $249. They also charge $15-20 in fees plus tax. So you are looking at around $300 a tire.

Last edited:

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Walmart will not mount and balance an oversized tire. They will only mount and balance stock sized, nothing else.

Last I checked the tires were listed for $249. They also charge $15-20 in fees plus tax. So you are looking at around $300 a tire.
Thanks. I can get that price at discount tire so no benny anywhere.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Got my 295/70/17s @ Walmart.com and they mounted & balanced them no problem, maybe some Walmarts aren't equipped to do it but ours did a great job. But my tires are not too oversized vs 37s or more.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Got my 295/70/17s @ Walmart.com and they mounted & balanced them no problem, maybe some Walmarts aren't equipped to do it but ours did a great job. But my tires are not too oversized vs 37s or more.
295x70r17 being only a half inch different may be an alternative size recommended by the manufacturer. There are usually a couple sizes they suggest.

5280Sapper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Disabled Veteran
I have ran Milestars for 50k first 25k on 38’s with no lift for a few months.. worked great wheeled everywhere drove everywhere. 40’s now and still do the same thing. Drive it like my ZO6 and it holds it own.. first 2 sets I paid for 3 set was given to me by Milestar.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door

My experience:

After alot of research and test fitting 37s, I finally pulled the trigger and sold my 315/70/17 ko2's load c and ordered 37/12.50/17 load d milestar's and 17x9 4.5 backspacing kmc machete non beadlocks. :involve: I was tempted to get the 38/13.50/17 bc of the load c rating...had them purchased and switched the order to 37s. The deciding factor was based on having a 6 speed with 4.10's and wanting less rotational mass on the brakes/bearings/steering and to reduce the need to spend more $ regearing. Although the 38 is lightweight for its size, it still weighs 10lbs more than the 37. I wish the 37 came in a load c....my tire guru good friend thinks it was crazy to not get the 38 bc the load c will ride softer and flex alot better offroad. I'll have them mounted this week...I'm sure I"ll regret not getting 38s. :giggle: :headbang:
Sponsored