GreyFox

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
My understanding was that the brine solution here in Ohio is salt (sodium chloride) mixed with a cinder mash. I don't know for sure though, that's just what I've heard from random people. Nobody who really knows, so maybe Brandy can ask her brother what the brine really is comprised of.
I think it's that the salt percentage is higher than previous. So definitely keep your vehicles washed periodically to try to keep that cancer (rust) at bay.
Sponsored

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Cheby Colorado
I can’t tell if you’ve lived here your whole life or just moved here from somewhere else....

I’m a lifetime Clevelander - so I’m not really bitter (as you sound) about this stuff. Just kind of meh about all of it. I can see someone moving here expecting something (maybe?) and then being disappointed by our reality.

oh well.

p.s. it’s funny people try to talk to me about sports and I’m just not into them at all.. I suspect it’s being growing up I always heard my dad complaining about our shitty teams so why would I get into something like that? Huh
Whole life.

Sorry about the Cleveland thing.

I should probably clarify; I live just south of Cbus, so no lake effect for me. However, they still treat it like lake effect. It's pretty well known that south of I-70 usually receives much less precip than above it. And I'm not bitter about anything, I just think Ohio overguns the whole situation, at least in the Cbus area. I've daily driven quite possibly the worlds worst vehicle for driving in the snow, for the past 12 years. A 2007 Colorado Xtreme. I've never gotten stuck. Never spun out. Never rear-ended anyone due to slippery conditions. 95% of driving in the snow/ice has to do with how you deal with it. I have, however, had several flats due to potholes post snowplow season. Ok, maybe I am a tad bitter.

I've got a JLUR on order, so I soon won't care either way.

I, for the most part, agree. Plow the interstates and leave the rest alone.
I'm inclined to let natural selection sort out the general public.

Spoken like true central Ohioans and Jeep owners. I'm inclined to agree that, it would be somewhat effective for those areas outside the snow belt (lake effect area). Two things to remember though.
1. In NE Ohio we would get snowed in if the roadways weren't treated/maintained.
2. Not everyone owns a JL, or other type 4x4 that can get through the deep snow/slush.

Yes there are other areas that get MUCH more snow than us (looking at you Montana), but that's not to say we don't get a lot.

Not a huge amount of snow in this picture, but if you're this Volvo owner, you're not going anywhere without the plows making a path.
52A5IQGHIRGB5MB7MZF53M4PDU.jpg

And this is my back porch 2 winters ago. As you can see by the deck box, and rails that's not drifted snow. That's straight up accumulation over the course of 1 night. Put that on the roads without plows and you'll shut down the area for days. Maybe weeks if anther system comes through and puts down more snow before it's all been packed/drifted/melted. No treatment may work away from the lake, but not up here.

porch snow.jpg
I WISH we would get snow like that on the regular.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
..... I've never gotten stuck. Never spun out. Never rear-ended anyone due to slippery conditions. 95% of driving in the snow/ice has to do with how you deal with it. ...
You're absolutely right. If you adjust your driving for the conditions they're easy enough to handle. It's not like snow/ice are some mystical condition that can't be overcome. People mostly need to simply slow down, and brake sooner/lighter.

....I WISH we would get snow like that on the regular.
Eewww, you're one of those people. Ha ha. Some people love the snow, so I'm assuming you're one such person. I wouldn't say I hate snow, but it definitely has its down side. FWIW, we had snow on the ground already this year. Not a lot, but enough to cover the grass on Halloween night. I'm going to have to check the weather because my Jeep just gave me a weather advisory this morning. It's too soon to start pilling up, I'm not ready.
Sponsored