Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite

jacllondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon granite 2 doors; 2021 willys Sarge
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t understand trading your car in solution. I get it if you can get a buy back/lemon law. When you trade in a new vehicle you are losing thousands of dollars.

There is a proven fix, albeit expensive and that is the PSC upgrade. End of the day that is still WAY cheaper than trading in your rig. That is if it is bone stock as well.
I have the 2.0 not 3.6 engine

Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-Door
Ordered a 2020 2Dr Rubicon and heard it's on the lot waiting for me. I had a chance to take it for a quick test drive and I felt a little bit of the wandering. I've test driven some that were worse in this regard, and some that were better. I'm going to take it on another test drive today before doing paperwork tomorrow. Tires were at 39/40 PSI.

I'm not a mechanic by any means. Do you have any advice for what I should look for on my lengthier test drive today? I'm going to start with airing the tires down to 35psi on the test drive.

Aside from that - if the steering feels like it needs too much input - are there any specific components I should have them re-torque or align before signing off on this thing?
Take it on a straight part of the highway at about 70-75 (don’t care what the speed limit is there), mine was much more noticeable at higher speeds. But give it about 15-25 min at least on the highway.

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JlUR 2016 GT350 2017 Laramie
Take it on a straight part of the highway at about 70-75 (don’t care what the speed limit is there), mine was much more noticeable at higher speeds. But give it about 15-25 min at least on the highway.
I agree, air down the tires and take it on the highway...I have the 2020 jlru, don't have the wandering or death wobble but that dead spot on the steering wheel is taking the joy out of driving this thing on the hightway. Just received the steer smarts yeti track bar and fox 2.0 damper today...installing this weekend :) really hope this gets that last 1/2 inch of play out.

Sponsored

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
I agree, air down the tires and take it on the highway...I have the 2020 jlru, don't have the wandering or death wobble but that dead spot on the steering wheel is taking the joy out of driving this thing on the hightway. Just received the steer smarts yeti track bar and fox 2.0 damper today...installing this weekend :) really hope this gets that last 1/2 inch of play out.
I’m doing the same....both the yeti track bar and the 2.0 fox....will let u know by next Thurs

Mojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
@Mojo , did you need adjustable LCA's on the front AND rear to get the caster to 6-7 degrees?

I have a 2.5" RC spacer lift, a Fox 2.0 steering stabilizer and a Rancho track bar, and my wandering/loose steering is worse than ever. I have an appointment for my 2nd alignment on Friday, but I'm not confident at all that they will fix the issues. I may cancel the appointment, order adjustable LCA's and take it back with instructions to have them set it to 6-7 degrees. Right now it's at 4 degrees.
You will certainly need adjustable LCAs if you have a suspension lift since caster decreases as lift height increases. I installed the Mopar fixed length LCAs because my jeep doesnt have a lift kit which sets my caster just about right. I am still considering getting adjustable LCAs to give me even more caster though because it doesnt self center as much as I would like.

Mojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I don’t understand trading your car in solution. I get it if you can get a buy back/lemon law. When you trade in a new vehicle you are losing thousands of dollars.

There is a proven fix, albeit expensive and that is the PSC upgrade. End of the day that is still WAY cheaper than trading in your rig. That is if it is bone stock as well.
I agree, although the PSC system is the fix for steering box related issues, it doesnt address any loose hardware or crappy bushings in the other steering components. Everyone here works too hard to take a $5k-$15k loss on a trade in and we all know FCA will never buy back. In my case I fixed it all for under $1000 which I shouldn't have to do yet any other option was much more expensive financially (trade in) and a greater investment in time (stealership blackhole) which is even more valuable to me.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I agree, although the PSC system is the fix for steering box related issues, it doesnt address any loose hardware or crappy bushings in the other steering components. Everyone here works too hard to take a $5k-$15k loss on a trade in and we all know FCA will never buy back. In my case I fixed it all for under $1000 which I shouldn't have to do yet any other option was much more expensive financially (trade in) and a greater investment in time (stealership blackhole) which is even more valuable to me.
I hear that and same here. I am too far down the road of modifying my Jeep and I love it minus the steering. I have done most of what you did and it is still bad (I am lifted 2.5" so that could be the difference). I feel and based on another (non dealer) professional option the issue is in the steering box. For me to get it right, not trade it in as that isn't an option, knowing FCA will do nothing, not wasting any more time, I am going the PSC route to just be done. It is ordered up and will be installed in less than a week.

I will report back and then I hope to never have to come into this thread again :);)

Mojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I haven't heard it mentioned but I plan on also replacing my rear trackbar as well as soon as synergy releases theirs. It seems the backend likes to move around more than it should when cornering which is more noticeable since tuning up the front end. I didnt mention this before but my jeep would also dive to the left under hard braking and pull to the right under hard acceleration (yes I do drive my jeep like I did my GTR). After replacing the front trackbar with a good one that has gone away.

Sponsored

Mojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I hear that and same here. I am too far down the road of modifying my Jeep and I love it minus the steering. I have done most of what you did and it is still bad (I am lifted 2.5" so that could be the difference). I feel and based on another (non dealer) professional option the issue is in the steering box. For me to get it right, not trade it in as that isn't an option, knowing FCA will do nothing, not wasting any more time, I am going the PSC route to just be done. It is ordered up and will be installed in less than a week.

I will report back and then I hope to never have to come into this thread again :);)
Congrats! I'm sure that box will be butter smooth. Aside from that just having tight bushings and the proper caster/toe you will be set!

Blammmo_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr Rubicon
I had the track bar TSB performed on my 2018 2 door Rubicon, and also had the steering stabilizer recall taken care of.
Dealer then checked the alignment and I just drove it home, the Jeep is soooo much more comfortable to drive at highway speeds, I never had the steering wheel play like some of you have reported, but always had to make constant minor corrections at highway speed and was always fighting to drive a straight line.
I’ll chalk it up as a win for now, a few more trips down the interstate to be sure and damn, life is good:like:

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
I am not sure but I wanted to make sure after I adjusted that no binding occurred and both hard left and hard right felt the same then back to center.

1 to 2 in dead spot before is now gone.

I turn the wheel left or right, wheels respond almost instantly at speed now.
Out of curiosity, what was ambient temp when problem occurred and what was ambient temp when resolved on road test?

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JlUR 2016 GT350 2017 Laramie
I’m doing the same....both the yeti track bar and the 2.0 fox....will let u know by next Thurs
it works! Feels like my jk now, good luck with yours!

rolly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 2DR
Is there a technical service bulletin that applies to the 2020 model year as well? My service dept says they haven't had a single person bring in s JL for this issue.
Sponsored