Sponsored

2019 JLUR Steering Box Options??

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
I got FCA to replace my steering box under warranty. We will see what happens. This dealership is interested in how it comes out because they are getting more calls about the steering on JL’s and would like to know how to fix it. Is there a true way for them to reflash the PCM to change the steering sensitivity or is that just BS!
Sponsored

AndyMcConnell

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR, 2018 Entegra Insignia 44R
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the heads up! Initially rotated 1/16th clockwise with subtle but noticeable improvement. Continued to 1/8th, feels much better imo, stopping here. I would say I have about 1/4-1/2 inch of play (was around 1 1/2 off the lot). I would also say the play feels stiffer and much more connected. I have yet to take it back on the highway where I felt it was at its worst but in town driving(<80km/h) is now good. I would now give it a 7 out of ten vs 3 off the lot.

Soooo, how did you release the Loctite? With the adjustment in such an inaccessible location, I am not sure what the options are there. I also have a 2020 JLUR that I picked up on the 21st of October, and it is ridiculous how much play there is in the steering wheel. It is from the wheel to the steering gear box, as you can jack up the front end and clearly see that about 2 inches of play happens without moving the wheels at all.

At 50+ MPH it is not a fun drive at all, as every little steering adjustment requires input through that slack before anything happens, and then going back the other way you do it again... definitely gonna get pulled over for drunk driving one night.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Soooo, how did you release the Loctite? With the adjustment in such an inaccessible location, I am not sure what the options are there. I also have a 2020 JLUR that I picked up on the 21st of October, and it is ridiculous how much play there is in the steering wheel. It is from the wheel to the steering gear box, as you can jack up the front end and clearly see that about 2 inches of play happens without moving the wheels at all.

At 50+ MPH it is not a fun drive at all, as every little steering adjustment requires input through that slack before anything happens, and then going back the other way you do it again... definitely gonna get pulled over for drunk driving one night.
Heat gun on the adjuster for a couple minutes and then quickly turn is the best way to soften up the thread locker.

AndyMcConnell

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR, 2018 Entegra Insignia 44R
Vehicle Showcase
Heat gun on the adjuster for a couple minutes and then quickly turn is the best way to soften up the thread locker.
Thanks, wasn't sure if a heat gun would be enough heat, and I don't have a torch available to do it.

Sponsored

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JlUR 2016 GT350 2017 Laramie

Haha, i thought the same thing...not sure if the cops would understand...”defective steering eh?!” I was able to break the loctite without heating using a hex socket..heating would of been easier. Honestly though, i just installed the steer smarts yeti track bar and fox 2.0(doubt the damper did anything) tonight...it is so much better now. Really night and day. I can finally enjoy this thing. I may return the steering box to factory now.

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the heads up! Initially rotated 1/16th clockwise with subtle but noticeable improvement. Continued to 1/8th, feels much better imo, stopping here. I would say I have about 1/4-1/2 inch of play (was around 1 1/2 off the lot). I would also say the play feels stiffer and much more connected. I have yet to take it back on the highway where I felt it was at its worst but in town driving(<80km/h) is now good. I would now give it a 7 out of ten vs 3 off the lot.
You have pics of the procedure?

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
FYI. AE steering box did not fix the play in the steering wheel. Still there!

Sponsored

KGriner

First Name
K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Well this thread sounds like BS. “I KNOW A GUY” comments don’t help. Say what you have to say or don’t say anything at all

Bullshit just like you said… I know a fucking guy… Ha