Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
The new willys is a sport with slightly different looks. You can get a sport with the anti slip rear diff package and youre good to go. If you want it more off road worthy, get rubi takeoff springs and shocks as well as a set of tires. done.

The quote you mention about partime 4x4 is on the sport as well.

If youre never going to go offroading you dont need a Wrangler. If you want one because you like them get whichever looks nicer to you with a softop. If you decide to go offroading months after you get the jeep or whatever, go do it, any trim will have outstanding performance on the trail.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The new Willys is missing the most important part that was offered in the past, 3.73 gears.
While standard on Willys, 3.73 was still available on Sport.

I think the most important item that set the JK Willys (and Freedom) apart from Sport that’s missing on JL is the optional rear locker

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
The Willy's like the Moab are nothing more than appearance packages. The Willy's does have the bigger brakes which is honestly the only good thing out of it. . I don't know what the upgraded package cost but if its more than 3k I'd skip it quite frankly and just buy better parts in the aftermarket. .

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
It doesn't look like anybody answered your question about the two speed transfer case. The transfer case is what allows you to select between 2 wheel drive, 4 wheel drive high range (4H) and 4 wheel drive low range (4L). High range and low range refers refers to what set of gears you are using in the transfer case. Now normally you're driving in 2 wheel drive (high range) and the engines "power" (actually torque) if you will, is passing right through the transfer case to the rear axle and wheels. When you select 4 wheel drive (4H), you engage the transfer case and the power goes to the front axle and wheels as well as the rear. 4 wheel drive low range is where it gets more technical, and this is where that 2.72 low range comes into play. Basically when 4L is selected, the transfer case switches to a new set of gears which multiplies the power to the axles by... 2.72. Gears, magical stuff. Most situations don't require this amount of power but it can be very useful if you're doing more advanced trails.

Like others have said you don't ever want to use 4 wheel drive, high or low, on dry pavement. Only use it when the wheels are slipping. And if you ever do find yourself in 4L, you'll notice that your engine is revving more than usual and you're moving very slowly. That's normal and its part of how the transfer case produces more "power" *insert Tim Allen noises*

Happy Jeeping

Sponsored

relayer4u

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
The Willy's like the Moab are nothing more than appearance packages. The Willy's does have the bigger brakes which is honestly the only good thing out of it. . I don't know what the upgraded package cost but if its more than 3k I'd skip it quite frankly and just buy better parts in the aftermarket. .
This is a popular opinion with some folks but I'm very happy that I paid a little more for the Willys performance package. When I configured identical Sport S & Willys on Jeep.com the MSRP difference was $1,040. For that extra cost, I got higher performance brakes & shocks, pinch seam covers, a non throw away wheel and tire set (watch for the Sport owners rocking a Willys wheel pack near you soon!) and an appearance group. Just the brake upgrade alone would cost you more than $1,040 in parts & install labor on a Sport model.

Your brother gave you good advice!

OP
OP
Jennalee

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Just the brake upgrade alone would cost you more than $1,040 in parts & install labor on a Sport model.

Your brother gave you good advice!
Yup he liked the brake upgrade and sold me on the mud tires. But he especially likes the black grill and wheels! :LOL:

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The mud tires might be annoying for a street grocery getter, but the brakes are a good option. You may want to consider trading them in for some A/T or street tires if that's your only use. Michelin makes a good tire they call an A/T, that is really just suitable for very light off-road use, but is great on the street. Tires are a always a trade-off. Great off-road tires are noisy, eat gas, and give up traction on the street, when compared to street tires.

OhReally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hellayella JLUS, Honda Odyssey
A couple of nice things (at least for me) is the power door locks, windows, and LED lights that don't come on a Sport.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
What??? Damn it!

I had an understanding that "4H" stood for "4 Hellos", where the left headlight would automatically flash 4 times whenever you came into proximity of another Wrangler on the road. Man... this changes everything! :headbang:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
A couple of nice things (at least for me) is the power door locks, windows, and LED lights that don't come on a Sport.
The JL Willys is based on the Sport S.

That is different than the JK where there was a model based on the base sport.
Sponsored