Sponsored

JLUR 4 Door Hard Top Buffeting Fix

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
As a hard top 4 door JLUR owner, I, and assume most of you, experience a “buffeting” effect in the interior at speeds between 35 and 45MPH (and sometimes at higher speeds as well). I solved my issues with that today based upon reading a few posts here. The issue is the roof flexes (similar to a drum beating) and thus pressure and sound are introduced into the cabin.

For $12, I have reduced the buffeting sound to near zero. I no longer notice the noise or the pressure at any speed. I used a 3” diameter x 36” long foam roller and covered one-half of the roller (except the last 4” inches on each end) with 1” pipe insulation. This is because (at least on my JLUR), there is a cavity in the center of the roof that required a bit more packing to close the gap.

I will figure out a way to dress it up later, but for now, I am very happy to have eliminated something that should never have existed.

yRp5J.jpg

Foam roller - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RQ3VBQ

Pipe insulation - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-in-x-6-ft-Foam-Pipe-Insulation-ORP11812/204760805

Hey, @JeepCares – this is a design issue that could be easily resolved by strengthening the roof (side to side) directly above or slightly behind the passenger overhead support bar thereby eliminating the roof flex.
Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Interesting, I don't have any buffeting issues with my hardtop.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting, I don't have any buffeting issues with my hardtop.
They seem to be common--count yourself lucky if you do not experience it. The Sahara that I rented back in June of this year did it and my Rubicon does too (fixed now and the most quiet it has ever been).

Smooth9883

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLRU & 2018 WK2 Trailhawk
I put my hardtop back on and the buffeting is crazy! I’m tempted to put my soft top back on because the buffeting is so bad.

Glad your fix worked. I would prefer for the people I paid almost 60k to to find a fix!

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
I think all the 4-door hardtops have this problem. I think the difference is that people may not be initially sensitive to it, or are used to it. When I first test-drove my JL (all windows up), it was super noticeable to me, but not my girlfriend (who is normally sensitive to this kind of stuff). I was even starting to think I was making a bad purchase decision.

Over the course of the 1200 mile drive home, I apparently got used to it and it stopped bothering me. I'd almost say that I don't even notice it anymore. But oh boy...I sure remember how I felt on the test drive about it. I can understand why many might not get used to it.

Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
You guys are making me rethink this. Maybe I just don't notice it since my Jeep is so much quieter than my work truck. Are you noticing the buffeting with all the windows closed? One open? Two open? What?

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You guys are making me rethink this. Maybe I just don't notice it since my Jeep is so much quieter than my work truck. Are you noticing the buffeting with all the windows closed? One open? Two open? What?
Mine typically did it cruising between 35 and 45 and window position made no difference, but definitely more of an issue with them closed since wind noise with Windows down would override it. Imagine the pressure and sound of a drum head "wobbling" and being introduced into the cabin. I am probably super sensitive to it, but am glad my cheap fix made it disappear.

PS - @spurly - stuff a few small pillows or rolled up towels in the space where my foam roller is and drive it with all windows closed and see if you notice a difference.

ScubaSigGuy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JlUR, 2018 Raptor, 2018 GT350R, 2015 BMW 1200GS Adventure
Is this issue due to the top being flimsier than the previous generations? I've never had this on any of my other Jeeps with hard tops. Before ordering my JLUR I was at the dealer checking them out and I noticed that the new top is not as strong near the pillar. i was able to pretty easily flex it with my hand. I went home and tried the same thing with my JK top and it seemed much sturdier. Did they reduce the weight of the top by making it thinner, or am I imagining this?

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is this issue due to the top being flimsier than the previous generations? I've never had this on any of my other Jeeps with hard tops. Before ordering my JLUR I was at the dealer checking them out and I noticed that the new top is not as strong near the pillar. i was able to pretty easily flex it with my hand. I went home and tried the same thing with my JK top and it seemed much sturdier. Did they reduce the weight of the top by making it thinner, or am I imagining this?
This is my first Jeep so I have no experience with the previous models. The fact the foam (which is applying very minimal pressure to the roof panel) is able to solve this on mine suggests the top is either not strong enough or not reinforced in the appropriate places to prevent wind rushing over the top of it from causing it to flex and introduce the buffeting.

ScubaSigGuy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JlUR, 2018 Raptor, 2018 GT350R, 2015 BMW 1200GS Adventure
This is my first Jeep so I have no experience with the previous models. The fact the foam (which is applying very minimal pressure to the roof panel) is able to solve this on mine suggests the top is either not strong enough or not reinforced in the appropriate places to prevent wind rushing over the top of it from causing it to flex and introduce the buffeting.
At first I though that maybe the lack of roll bar cushioning created that gap, which wasn't there on the previous generations, but looking at your picture closely it appears that space is much larger than I thought. I’m glad that you found a fix that works for you, and no offense meant to you, but if I had to look at that everyday I would be a thorn in the side of Jeep CS. I’m not buying a nearly $60k vehicle to have to deal with something like that. BTW, it’s bad enough that they deleted the roll bar padding to save a few bucks.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
At first I though that maybe the lack of roll bar cushioning created that gap, which was t there on that previous generations, but looking at your picture closely it appears that space is much larger than I thought. I’m glad that you found a fix that works for you, and no offense meant to you, but if I had to look at that everyday I would be a thorn in the side of Jeep CS. I’m not buying a nearly $60k vehicle to have to deal with something like that. BTW, it’s bad enough that they deleted the roll bar padding to save a few bucks.
Right; there is at least a 2-3/4" gap on the ends and a 3-1/2" gap in the middle. I agree with you, but the good news is that you cannot see it unless you duck to see it in the mirror. The other thing is that I am not finished with it, I am going to try cutting 3" x 3" and 3" x 4" pieces (4 total) and see if those have the same effect. If they do, then I will probably paint them black and insert them making it less of an eyesore.

I totally agree that @JeepCares needs to pay some attention to this--there is NO way a 50K vehicle should require any degree of "shade tree" engineering to correct a problem like this.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I did not notice any buffeting initially when I received my 2020 JLRU in August. But, after taking my hard top off a couple of times, it seems to happen frequently around 35-50 mph. I have some foam rollers throughout my clinic, so I will try it and see how it works.

Like others have posted, what a shame WE have to fall victim to lack of proper FCA engineering for our $50K+ Wranglers. I guess "forgiveness" or "don't worry about it" is also a "Jeep thing", right?

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
The 2 Unlimiteds I test drove had pretty bad buffeting, the one I ordered and received didn’t have any buffeting, but that could be due to the Hothead Headliners. Regardless, the space you put a noddle in makes a wonderful shelf for one or two Harbor Freight moving pads and will achieve the same anti-buffeting effect. And laying on one of the moving pads while working on your Jeep is amazingly comfortable!

DF0F1057-1D8F-42C3-A106-2FFC10B3DB22.jpeg

78TxAggie

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
A well placed moving blanket worked for me as well - just folded and stuffed it in there - no more buffeting!

Hulk

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLUR
As a hard top 4 door JLUR owner, I, and assume most of you, experience a “buffeting” effect in the interior at speeds between 35 and 45MPH (and sometimes at higher speeds as well). I solved my issues with that today based upon reading a few posts here. The issue is the roof flexes (similar to a drum beating) and thus pressure and sound are introduced into the cabin.

For $12, I have reduced the buffeting sound to near zero. I no longer notice the noise or the pressure at any speed. I used a 3” diameter x 36” long foam roller and covered one-half of the roller (except the last 4” inches on each end) with 1” pipe insulation. This is because (at least on my JLUR), there is a cavity in the center of the roof that required a bit more packing to close the gap.

I will figure out a way to dress it up later, but for now, I am very happy to have eliminated something that should never have existed.

yRp5J.jpg

Foam roller - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RQ3VBQ

Pipe insulation - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-in-x-6-ft-Foam-Pipe-Insulation-ORP11812/204760805

Hey, @JeepCares – this is a design issue that could be easily resolved by strengthening the roof (side to side) directly above or slightly behind the passenger overhead support bar thereby eliminating the roof flex.
Hi, I have a 2019 JLUR with this same issue. So glad that I am not the only that has noticed this problem. It is strange that some people notice this and some don't, mainly the service guy at the Jeep dealer near me. I have it there right now, for them to find a solution. I had them switch out the wheels and tires from a Sahara just to see if the Rubicon BF Goodrich K02's were the problem. Made no difference. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow and try your fix. I am so hoping that it works. I can't stand driving it with that buffeting sound. Mine starts making that sound as soon as I start rolling. It's like every small imperfection in the road transmits that buffeting sound. Will let you know if your fix works for me. Thanks
Sponsored