Clunk Sound When Starting

drock317

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS - Ocean Blue
Is it anything like the squeal/clunk discussed in this thread? Mine also does the same when hard on the brake at startup and doesn't do it when light on the brake at startup.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/squeal-at-start-up.11848/page-4#post-362859
This is exactly what I was gonna suggest you guys search for. I had these same questions a year ago and have tested using the remote start with no clunking and then only lightly holding the brake and starting with no issues and the clunking only occuring when you fully pressed down the pedal and started it. This is an issue people have talked about the Grand Cherokee and Durango's too.. all resolved with not pressing the break as hard or using remote start.
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I just noticed it yesterday on a long road trip. Happened after I restarted the hot engine at a pit stop offer about three hours of continuous driving.

quickly turned off the engine and restarted to see if it would happen again and it did.

tried to replicate the problem after I got to my destination, but the sound went away.

will continue to troubleshoot with different variables today. It didnā€™t occur to me that it could be the AC. Will play around with that today.

the sound definitely sounds like a fan shutter or a valve closing or something along those lines.
Is it anything like the squeal/clunk discussed in this thread? Mine also does the same when hard on the brake at startup and doesn't do it when light on the brake at startup.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/squeal-at-start-up.11848/page-4#post-362859
Hi Mike and Gord,
Should this concern become less intermittent and you decide to visit your dealer, please keep us updated. If assistance is needed while working with your dealer, we're available via PM.
Alex
Jeep Cares

DudeBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Sorry to necro an old thread, but did anyone ever figure out what that noise was? That noise has been bugging me for quite some time now and I'm wondering if it's something I can get fixed before the warranty runs out on my jeep. To be clear I have a single loud clank as the engine turns over like someone hit the transmission with a sledgehammer, not the squeal that other thread mentioned.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Sorry to necro an old thread, but did anyone ever figure out what that noise was? That noise has been bugging me for quite some time now and I'm wondering if it's something I can get fixed before the warranty runs out on my jeep. To be clear I have a single loud clank as the engine turns over like someone hit the transmission with a sledgehammer, not the squeal that other thread mentioned.
Just heard the exact noise this morning again.

I hear it from time to time, usually when I'm remote starting the Jeep from cold.

DudeBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Just heard the exact noise this morning again.

I hear it from time to time, usually when I'm remote starting the Jeep from cold.
Yeah It always sounds louder when cold starting it in the morning. It always makes me worried when I hear it.

Sponsored

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

Dudebro did you find the cause of the clunking noise? I've been experiencing this intermitently for the last couple of months and driving me nuts

DudeBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Dudebro did you find the cause of the clunking noise? I've been experiencing this intermitently for the last couple of months and driving me nuts
Sort of. I'm pretty sure it's the starter motor gear disengaging. I heard a while back that they beefed up the starter motor on the JLs because of the added stop/start feature we all just love šŸ™„. It made sense to me so I just have been assuming it was normal. Hasn't broken down yet at least.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I found this on a Facebook forum that supports your reasoning. Iā€™ve been trying it the past couple of days and have not heard the sound.

Don't press your brake pedal down as hard. I know it sounds funny but it has something to do with the start stop system. I've been able to replicate this every time. It's usually just on cold starts after it's not been running for a while. But don't fully push the brake pedal and start and it won't do it. Also you'll notice if you remote start it the noise doesn't occur. This noise happens on Durango's and grand Cherokees too.
Sponsored