Sponsored

Return of deposit?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
31c29a33b22fc203e8f5855c30c31399f7ea410dea796dd830b9a04d56512fa2.jpg
Sponsored

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Let me educate you then. Harley riders wave to each other because its an acknowledgement that we are willing to take the risk of dying for the enjoyment of riding in the open air. We know every time we get on that motorcycle we may not return home and end up in a hospital or worse yet a morgue. But, what we get from riding a motorcycle is worth the risk. So, its an acknowledgement of that risk. We know we could drive a car and be safe, but we choose, based on the open road experience to take that risk which a 'cager' would not understand, or be willing to take.

Can this be said for Jeeps? No. The only reason a Jeep rider waves is because they see someone that bought the same vehicle. We are still 'cagers', we still have the safety of airbags, seat belts, and body frames to protect us.

Many crotch rockets have proven themselves to be unsafe on the road. So, I can see why some people won't wave to them. Why would I want to wave to someone that will put my life in danger for some stupid antics of weaving in and out of traffic, chasing people in cars and beating them, break the rules of the road at almost every turn. No thanks. They do more damage to the biker reputation, and for that, no, I don't wave.

and who trades a Road King in for a Softail Deluxe? Isn't that going backwards?
Thank you for “educating me.”
So I hope you also don’t wave at people riding without a helmet, or Yamaha or Suzuki or BMW or Triumph or modded non-88 choppers.....after all, they’re not riding Harleys and just don’t get it.

You could always get a Jeep wave decal and put a big red circle with a line through it so the rest of us who just don’t get it won’t be bothered?

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for “educating me.”
So I hope you also don’t wave at people riding without a helmet, or Yamaha or Suzuki or BMW or Triumph or modded non-88 choppers.....after all, they’re not riding Harleys and just don’t get it.

You could always get a Jeep wave decal and put a big red circle with a line through it so the rest of us who just don’t get it won’t be bothered?
Riders without a helmet are a danger to themselves, not others on the road, so I don't know how you connect the two.
So, your same complaint of Harley Riders only waving to other Harley riders doesn't apply to Jeep drivers?
After all Jeep drivers don't wave to other 4wheel vehicles, just Jeep Wranglers.
Can you see the hypocrisy in this?

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Last comment: no more hypocrisy in Jeep to Jeep than Harley to Harley.

Ok, I'm done, back to our original programming!

Keep the rubber side down!!

Sponsored

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
Back to the OPs original question - although trying to follow the thread, he may not now want to back out...
Unless our illustrious governor has changed it recently too, in CA dealers are not allowed by law to retain a deposit if you decide to back out of an order for any reason. They know this, but some less-than-up-and-up dealers will try and intimidate you into thinking otherwise. I've ordered quite a few vehicles from a So Cal dealer, and the only one they took a deposit on was a Hellcat, and although we never discussed it, I know they know they couldn't have kept the deposit had I backed out - but then they also wouldn't ever order something for me again...
(if you think about it, when you sign the purchase agreement in CA, it specifically states and you must sign that you are aware of it, that "there is no cooling off period" - but when you ordered the Jeep, you didn't sign the purchase agreement. You only sign the purchase agreement when you take delivery. So in essence, there IS a cooling off period when placing an order.)(but unless your financial situation is now such that you simply can't do the deal, go forward and have a great time in a Jeep! You won't regret it!)

OP
OP
mreloc

mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Altitude; VWGTI
Back to the OPs original question - although trying to follow the thread, he may not now want to back out...
Unless our illustrious governor has changed it recently too, in CA dealers are not allowed by law to retain a deposit if you decide to back out of an order for any reason. They know this, but some less-than-up-and-up dealers will try and intimidate you into thinking otherwise. I've ordered quite a few vehicles from a So Cal dealer, and the only one they took a deposit on was a Hellcat, and although we never discussed it, I know they know they couldn't have kept the deposit had I backed out - but then they also wouldn't ever order something for me again...
(if you think about it, when you sign the purchase agreement in CA, it specifically states and you must sign that you are aware of it, that "there is no cooling off period" - but when you ordered the Jeep, you didn't sign the purchase agreement. You only sign the purchase agreement when you take delivery. So in essence, there IS a cooling off period when placing an order.)(but unless your financial situation is now such that you simply can't do the deal, go forward and have a great time in a Jeep! You won't regret it!)
Thank you Brian- 100% the information I was looking for!

And you're also correct- I'm not planning to back out at this time. I will test drive and then decide if any problems I may encounter are worth the investment of time to work out getting corrected.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you Brian- 100% the information I was looking for!

And you're also correct- I'm not planning to back out at this time. I will test drive and then decide if any problems I may encounter are worth the investment of time to work out getting corrected.
Make sure on your test drive you have someone in the passenger seat. This will test the frame/rails for the creak/pop/snap problem.

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I live in California, in case that makes a difference. The crap stories have me spooked about the JLUS I have on order. Dealer required a $3K deposit to place the order and it’s in D1 status.

What is common practice and/or legal right to request a return of deposit in the event I decide to pull the plug on the whole thing? (I used my AMEX for the points and for their purchase protection, in case that helps).

Don’t get me wrong- I’d love to buy the vehicle if it’s not a POS, but I’ve got a bit going on in my life to make dealing with problems and my dealer’s service department something I don’t want to take on. It’s in downtown LA and not a pleasure to drive to.

Of course if I don’t pull the plug now- I’ll try to thoroughly test drive it before taking delivery (which will be a challenge to find a highway i can actually hit highway speeds on). If it fails then, I’ll certainly walk then.

Thoughts?

There are no guarantees in life. Today one must be completely aware of any contract signed. If these were issues, they should be included up front on the contract. InArizona all jeep dealers add dealer prep. items at the end. This will easily run near or above $1500 the vehicle cost. If you ordered a vehicle, this can be specified up front. When I ordered my 2018 jeep with the options I wanted I specified no dealer options in the price. When the manager came back with the contract for signing he said dealer options added were OK. I had him change the wording and initial the changes. Fortunately my Wrangler has been trouble issues without the currents reported problems being threaded on the forum. Best of luck with your vehicle and I hope it's what you expected. They are a great vehicle, just craw under an Wrangler, nothing is built like it for the money. By the way, I had to deal with FCA because my dealer is inept. They were responses and even refunded me close to $500.00 for my inconvenience. When or if you need to write, address it to the CEO. They actually listen. In any business situation always go to the man who makes the decisions.

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
My 2018 JLUR turned 1 year old yesterday. It recently turned 10,000 miles. It had some niggles that the dealer has without exception resolved:

1. GPS got confused; dealer re-calibrated and it's been perfect since.
2. Noisy passenger seat; 1st time dealer could not replicated; 2nd time replaced seat track; problem fixed.

That's it. Nothing else. 1st year it's been as solid and reliable as my Hondas. We'll see if that lifetime warranty was a good investment down the road though.

ButWhatDoIKnow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler, 2014 Jeep Cherokee, 2015 Abarth 500C
This will be the third year of JL's. Most of the production and engineering glitches should be ironed out.
I know when I drive a Jeep I come home with a smile on my face. That's why I drive it!

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
OP, what did you decide? Did you take delivery of the vehicle? I picked mine up yesterday and I’m sooooo happy with it!

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I'll chime in as well. 2019 JLUR coming up on 1 year since delivery. The only issue I've had is a cracked windshield, which was replaced under warranty. No problems, no issues, no regrets. ~7300mi so far. I admin for a large, all breeds Jeep group on Facebook, and I'm lurking here frequently throughout the week. Some of the "issues" are truly atrocious, as is the way it is handled, but when you get into it, it's mostly on the specific dealers, and these issues are definitely the minority. My own anecdotal experience is the vast majority of the "issues" I've heard about are way overblown by people who are worried, have zero technical knowledge (or knowledge of the idiosyncrasies of boxy, solid axle, 4wd vehicles), and are confused why their cool new convertible handles more like a dump truck than a Lexus. These people never rode in some of the older Jeeps, and it shows. It takes some getting used to, but overall: a Wrangler is a bit of an oddball, but still like any other vehicle. If there is something truly wrong, you'll notice it.

This is the first vehicle Ive ever ordered and the first brand new vehicle I've ever owned. Before this, I was buying used off AutoTrader and sticking it to the seller/ dealer as hard as i could without being disrespectful. I had 2 TJ's and put over 100k on one, 60k on the other, both over 100k when I sold them. I've had a Wrangler of some sort since 2003. Ordering a vehicle is kind of nuts, right? You're going to pay through the nose, right? Not really. Just had to find the right people to work with. I got numbers i was happy with, and they put the order through. I put down a $500 "good faith" deposit even though I knew the salesman. He put the order in that day and 2.5 months later, I had my Jeep. The process went smoothly and overall, if i was going to order something as specialized as a Rubicon that I was planning on keeping for 10+ years, I would 100% do it again (pending the numbers).

My only advice other than give it a good shakedown on your test drive, is check it over well. Check the frame welds, make sure any and all recalls have been done. I just had the steering stabilizer done and it smooths out some of the weird feeling (even by Wrangler standards) in the steering. And if your dealer gives you any surprise BS, don't be afraid to walk.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
I’m in downtown too and have one on order. I’ve been obsessively reading over the “Issues” threads because my personality is obsessive and a new car is a huge, expensive long term commitment. I go back and forth regretting my order too because the steering problems scare me to death. I can deal with everything else, I can’t deal with bad steering.

I ordered mine from San Juan Capistrano and made sure my salesman knew I was concerned about the steering and that my $1000 deposit was refundable. I’m planning on asking him for an extended test drive as well for at least a few hours out on my own. Try to do the same. I made sure to look for a dealership with a freeway that wouldn’t be congested so I can take the Jeep up to 70 mph. That will be impossible to do in downtown LA.

DTLA is a nightmare to drive through and traffic is always congested everywhere we go so if our Jeeps veer into the next lane we’re guaranteed to slam into somebody. I feel your stress, I really do. It’s frightening to read that people are having these issues with their 2020 Jeeps.

When does yours come in? Mine should arrive at my dealership around mid November. Instead of sitting on the edge of my seat excited for it to arrive I’m dreading the day it gets delivered. So stupid.

I wish you the best of luck, hope you get a good one! And me too :fingerscrossed:
Very wise approach, take a long test drive and make sure you are comfortable with the jeep. If it’s not right, believe me..you will know it.
If it feels wrong don’t accept the product with promises they will fix it. As it’s known that the dealer can not fix the issue and you will only become frustrated with the lack of empathy. Make them do whatever modifications are needed BEFORE you take possession.
Once you accept delivery they get paid it becomes your problem.
Sponsored