Smittybilt XRC Gen 2 vs Gen 3

noahdrw

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I am trying to pick a winch and have narrowed it down to smittybilt xrc with the help of my local 4x4 shop.

They are trying to sell me hard on the gen 3 vs the gen 2. I wanted to get some opinions on which to go with as well as an opinion on the 9.5k vs 12k for a jlu sport currently on 33s biggest I will ever go is 35s. I do not expect to use it a huge amount just have it for the extra piece of mind.

Sorry if this is a redundant topic I have just seen little other than marketing material comparing the two.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Of the two listed I’d suggest the gen 3. They just released it and it has a lot of improvements. The x20 is also an excellent winch with the benefit of a wireless remote

Brett

OP
OP

noahdrw

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Of the two listed I’d suggest the gen 3. They just released it and it has a lot of improvements. The x20 is also an excellent winch with the benefit of a wireless remote

Brett
thanks for the feedback, I am open to other options just trying to stay somewhat budget minded. I am looking at the xrc gen 2 stubby bumper and trying to keep the whole package in the $1200 range. Would you recommend the x20 over the xrc?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
thanks for the feedback, I am open to other options just trying to stay somewhat budget minded. I am looking at the xrc gen 2 stubby bumper and trying to keep the whole package in the $1200 range. Would you recommend the x20 over the xrc?
I've got the gen 2 and it has been outstanding. I just made a few tough pulls while offroading in Kentucky and it performed beautifully. I don't know what the Gen 3 weighs, but the main reason I went with the gen 2 is that it is only 46lbs with synthetic rope. I wanted as little weight as possible, since it won't be used 99.9% of the time.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator

Brett
Is it worth the price difference? Gen2 is about $250 and Gen3 is $430, on sale. That is a 40% price difference, or $175

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is it worth the price difference? Gen2 is about $250 and Gen3 is $430, on sale. That is a 40% price difference, or $175
I think the Gen 3 looks awesome, but the Gen 2 is bomb-proof. Like I said, It ripped Jeep after Jeep up rocky hills and never broke a sweat.

If the prices were closer, I'd probably go Gen 3, but absolutely NOTHING wrong with the Gen 2.

Last edited:

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I think the Gen 3 looks awesome, but the Gen 2 is bomb-proof. Like I said, It ripped Jeep after Jeep up rocky hills and never broke a sweat.

If the prices were closer, I'd probably go Gen 3, but absolutely NOTHING wrong with the Gen 2.
and compared to the x20? Does this article pretty much nail it?

https://4wdlife.com/smittybilt-winches-review

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

I'll read it and see. The X20 has a brake design that really reduces heat, which can cause problems for a synthetic rope if the drum gets too hot. I almost bought one but it was heavier and more expensive. I think it has a higher waterproof rating, too. But the XRC was good enough and everyone I talked to that had one raved about it. The light weight was a huge factor for me. I'm obsessive about keeping weight on the Jeep down. I don't think the X2o is much heavier, though. Only a little.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

I think the article has good info. One thing I thought was funny was the IPX67 vs 68 part. It said the X2o can go a half meter deeper. If you go a half meter deeper than the XRC on your bumper goes, then your Jeep is now a submarine! Lol! IPX67 is good enough, IMO. I saw a demo of an XRC 9500 in an aquarium running under water. It was at an outdoor show and I was there at the end of an 8 day run. The guy told me it had been running in there all week, all day, every day, from about 10 am to 10pm. Overnight, it sat there, still under water. He said he took it to show after show. It will shrug off anything it ever sees in the way of water with my Jeep. Btw, I've had it submerged in a mud hole once, but only for about 5 seconds. No harm no foul.

If I used the winch a lot, I'd have gone for the X2o for the cooler running and slightly better efficiency. But I did several long hard pulls back to back and it didn't bother my battery and the winch remained cool to the touch.

Whether you go XRC, XRC gen 3, or X2o, you can't go wrong, IMO.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. XRC 2 it is.
I think you'll be thrilled with it. One feature I really like, too, is the magnetic controller. I use that feature far more than I thought I would. Quick to put it on the bumper, adjust the rope or whatever, then pick it right back up and go again.

You are getting one hell of a price, too!

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Seems like the guys for you some great info!

Brett
Sponsored