Rattle- Ace Engineering Stand Alone Tire Carrier

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I don’t think mines that bad, I would love to blame my camera for why I can’t park straight with my JL, but it happens pulling in straight as well.
Sponsored

kheidolph

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
So these pics illustrate the “issue”.
Jeep is parked straight, but as you can see the lines veer of to the left. Again, not a deal breaker, but just something to be aware of.
(Yes, I was at Pep Boys. Don’t judge...I was buying 10 gauge wire for my twin ARB compressor install in the cargo area. LOL)

3AFF5F00-5979-4499-8A8C-BF30C2AD8929.jpeg

2841C0C9-3175-4371-845B-3260A8858BE8.jpeg
That seems to be a little more out of alignment than my setup. I'll try to get a picture for you today or tomorrow. Can we get a close up of what your camera mount setup looks like.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think mines that bad, I would love to blame my camera for why I can’t park straight with my JL, but it happens pulling in straight as well.
Yeah, I blame the trapezoidal hood for that. I park crooked all the time due to it.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
That seems to be a little more out of alignment than my setup. I'll try to get a picture for you today or tomorrow. Can we get a close up of what your camera mount setup looks like.
Using the Ace camera mount for now ( with the (Mopar brake light mount secured to it)

55190202-A8B7-4EA0-B2BD-1D0008049D46.jpeg

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I looked at my rear camera today when parked straight, it’s now where near as crooked as the photo earlier in the thread. I would never notice honestly.

Sponsored

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
So these pics illustrate the “issue”.
Jeep is parked straight, but as you can see the lines veer of to the left. Again, not a deal breaker, but just something to be aware of.
(Yes, I was at Pep Boys. Don’t judge...I was buying 10 gauge wire for my twin ARB compressor install in the cargo area. LOL)

3AFF5F00-5979-4499-8A8C-BF30C2AD8929.jpeg

2841C0C9-3175-4371-845B-3260A8858BE8.jpeg
Thank you!

Jeepender

First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 4DR RUBI
Occupation
VP of FUN
Using the Ace camera mount for now ( with the (Mopar brake light mount secured to it)

Jeep Wrangler JL Rattle- Ace Engineering Stand Alone Tire Carrier 55190202-A8B7-4EA0-B2BD-1D0008049D46
Hi There - I'm about to order the ACE stand alone carrier, and really like the way you relocated the (factory?) 3rd brake light. Would you mind sharing how that was done? I am running tail light guards and want to know how close the carrier comes to the passenger side tail light. ACE said they cannot provide me with a photo. If possible, could you take a photo looking down on the passenger tail light so I can get an idea of the clearance between it and the hinge? Appreciate the help!

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hi There - I'm about to order the ACE stand alone carrier, and really like the way you relocated the (factory?) 3rd brake light. Would you mind sharing how that was done? I am running tail light guards and want to know how close the carrier comes to the passenger side tail light. ACE said they cannot provide me with a photo. If possible, could you take a photo looking down on the passenger tail light so I can get an idea of the clearance between it and the hinge? Appreciate the help!
Hi Jeepender. I just drilled a few holes in the rear of the aftermarket Mopar brake light mount and a few matching holes in the ACE bracket. Just a few bolts and it works great. Yes, it is the OEM factory brake light, but it's mounted on the mopar mount. https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/chmsl-relocation-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl
Unfortunately, I cant' take any pics for you because I no longer own the JLUR (traded for a Gladiator). But I still have the ACE carrier (and it's for sale if you're local to the Philadelphia area).

kheidolph

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey @Jeepender

I went out and got some photos for you with some measurements. Hopefully these are helpful.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rattle- Ace Engineering Stand Alone Tire Carrier 20201218_095114

Jeep Wrangler JL Rattle- Ace Engineering Stand Alone Tire Carrier 20201218_095123

Jeep Wrangler JL Rattle- Ace Engineering Stand Alone Tire Carrier 20201218_095147

Additionally, I'm including a set of install instructions that I created for this carrier. I've sent these to ACE and they are supposed to put them on their site or send them out with new units, but for some reason, they haven't done that yet.

See attached file: ACE JL Stand Alone Tire Carrier Instructions_20190606_1.pdf

And finally...I didn't like the ACE license plate bracket and brake light. Since I was keeping the stock steel bumper for the license plate, I created a custom modification in order to retain the factory look of the backup camera and did recessed brake lights in the lug holes. Here is a picture of that and if you are interested, I will type up instructions. I just haven't had the urge to do it yet.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rattle- Ace Engineering Stand Alone Tire Carrier 20190420_180345

Attachments

Jeepender

First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 4DR RUBI
Occupation
VP of FUN
Hi Jeepender. I just drilled a few holes in the rear of the aftermarket Mopar brake light mount and a few matching holes in the ACE bracket. Just a few bolts and it works great. Yes, it is the OEM factory brake light, but it's mounted on the mopar mount. https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/chmsl-relocation-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl
Unfortunately, I cant' take any pics for you because I no longer own the JLUR (traded for a Gladiator). But I still have the ACE carrier (and it's for sale if you're local to the Philadelphia area).
Thanks Exit Left! Very helpful. I'm aLLLLLLLL the way in California, otherwise I would likely snatch up that carrier from ya. How are you likin' the JT?

Sponsored

Jeepender

First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 4DR RUBI
Occupation
VP of FUN
Hey @Jeepender

I went out and got some photos for you with some measurements. Hopefully these are helpful.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rattle- Ace Engineering Stand Alone Tire Carrier 20190420_180345

Additionally, I'm including a set of install instructions that I created for this carrier. I've sent these to ACE and they are supposed to put them on their site or send them out with new units, but for some reason, they haven't done that yet.

See attached file: ACE JL Stand Alone Tire Carrier Instructions_20190606_1.pdf

And finally...I didn't like the ACE license plate bracket and brake light. Since I was keeping the stock steel bumper for the license plate, I created a custom modification in order to retain the factory look of the backup camera and did recessed brake lights in the lug holes. Here is a picture of that and if you are interested, I will type up instructions. I just haven't had the urge to do it yet.

Thanks Kurt! Ex-ACT-ly what I was looking for. Super-duper helpful. I also am looking for an alternate solution to mount my license plate. I've ordered the ACE Halfback bumper and am thinking of a bolt on or magnetic attachment just under the driver's side tail light. I'll futz with it once it shows up. In the meantime, YES - I would love to get your step-by-step on the cool brake light solution you came up with. Really like the wheels, too. Are they black and grey with white lining? Suh-weet!

kheidolph

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Kurt! Ex-ACT-ly what I was looking for. Super-duper helpful. I also am looking for an alternate solution to mount my license plate. I've ordered the ACE Halfback bumper and am thinking of a bolt on or magnetic attachment just under the driver's side tail light. I'll futz with it once it shows up. In the meantime, YES - I would love to get your step-by-step on the cool brake light solution you came up with. Really like the wheels, too. Are they black and grey with white lining? Suh-weet!
Colby,

Glad to help.

Those are the Black Rhino Shrapnel wheels. They are actually glossy black with milled spokes. They pickup on a lot of colors and multiple people have asked if they are gray and white. What's nice is nothing sticks to them. My wife has my stock Rubicon wheels and they are always dirty. Mine are always clean...even after an off road trip. Usually a quick rinse removes everything from them.

https://www.blackrhinowheels.com/off-road-wheels-rims-shrapnel.php

As for the camera mount and brake lights...I have some bad news. You can't do the camera modification anymore. I just checked and the part that you need from EAG is no longer available. In fact, I had to grab the link from the UK amazon site because the US site is dead.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EAG-Wrangler-Adapter-Harness-Included/dp/B07K79ZR4L
EAG 18-19 Jeep Wrangler JL Backup Camera Tire Adapter and Harness for Tire Carrier (Tire Carrier Not Included)

If you want to do just the brake lights, it's not hard.

Materials:
- Water proof splice connectors
- Electrical tape
- Wire loom of your choice (optional, but recommended)
- 3/4 PVC (optional and no more than 12 inches needed)
- Lug nut lights (mine came with SAE connectors) (see below)
- SAE connectors w/ wire tails (see below)

1. You will need a set of these lug nut lights and SAE connectors:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BY2OFQS/
Jeep Wrangler JL Rattle- Ace Engineering Stand Alone Tire Carrier 1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D484KR8/
Jeep Wrangler JL Rattle- Ace Engineering Stand Alone Tire Carrier 2

2. When you finish your factory install, you should have a connector that looks like this:
Jeep Wrangler JL Rattle- Ace Engineering Stand Alone Tire Carrier 3 - 20190320_163741

3. You will need to cut that connector off or remove the pins to expose the wires. These are the wires that you will tap into for the brake lights. Note that there are 2 sets of wires. 1 set is on when your headlights are on. That is for the ACE license plate light. The other set is for your brake lights. To find out which is which, temporarily hook up a light to a set of wires, turn on the car, and turn on the headlights. If lights up, you know that set is for the license plate light. If it doesn't light up, try hitting the break and make sure that it lights; indicating you are now connected to the correct set of wires.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rattle- Ace Engineering Stand Alone Tire Carrier 4 - 20190419_141938

4. Use some water proof splice connectors to connect the SAE connectors with tails to the correct set of wires using a Y configuration. This will allow you to quickly disconnect your brake lights which will be necessary when you remove your spare. Notice how mine already came with the SAE connectors. Your lights should have this connector as well.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rattle- Ace Engineering Stand Alone Tire Carrier 5 - 20190420_173040

5. Test fit your lights on your wheel. If they recess too deep, you can use some PVC to push them out. Measure and cut as needed. (see image above for what I did with mine)

6. After testing everything, wrap all of your cables and splices in electrical tape. Be sure not to tape your connectors together as you will need to disconnect them during install and removal of your spare tire. Your finished product should look like this:
Jeep Wrangler JL Rattle- Ace Engineering Stand Alone Tire Carrier 6 - 20190419_190427

That's basically it. To install your spare tire with the lights, follow this order:
1. Install your spare tire.
2. Insert your LEDs into the lug holes at the 4 and 8 o'clock positions.
3. Open the tail gate and connect the 2 connectors.
4. Secure any loose wires.

Done!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck!

Jeepender

First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 4DR RUBI
Occupation
VP of FUN
Great update and info. I've emailed EAG to see if they still have the camera unit. Fingers crossed! When I get this all done, I'll share pics. Thanks again!

kheidolph

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great update and info. I've emailed EAG to see if they still have the camera unit. Fingers crossed! When I get this all done, I'll share pics. Thanks again!
Awesome. If you are able to find it, let me know and I'll send some additional info to make that EAG adapter work. If not, you might be able to do it by sawing off the stock camera cover from the tire carrier.

All the best,
Kurt

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I put a small shim between the mount and the camera on one side of the camera to offset the angle caused by the way the carrier is mounted. To do that you just need a couple longer bolts. They are small, not sure the size, but I had a few lying around.
Sponsored