First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
This is what I wish FCA realized. We understand that some vehicles come from the factory broken. It happens. Especially with something this complex and at this production rate.

If they would just treat me like a customer and not a problem, they would come out on top. As much as they can.

My wife really wanted a JL. I built mine to her spec, with me getting the next JL in a year or two. Playing the car trade off game until her car kicks the bucket.

However, we have the steering problem and we have no resolution in site. Let alone a response from Jeep beyond "Meh"....

Guess who isn't buying another Jeep and has no problem telling friends and neighbors about how much this all sucks.
Well said. My wife wants a Renegade and based on my experience I won’t go this route again with FCA
Sponsored

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Any chance you can do us a solid and call or find a way to get the part number for the correct "intermediate shaft"?
Also, what dealer? Might be worth the trip. Getting ridiculous.
I will ask, it isn't on my copy.

Udi

First Name
Udi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR 2.0L, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
I'd believe the rubber bushings in the track bar are changing Shore Hardness with temperature.
If the bushings in the track bar are so bad, how come the bushings in the drag link and tie rod are ok? I would think FCA would have all of these similarly designed. And the stresses should be similar for all of them.

Last edited:

Udi

First Name
Udi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well said. My wife wants a Renegade and based on my experience I won’t go this route again with FCA
My wife has a 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk and it has none of the problems the Wrangler has. It's been very reliable. We both love it and we took it on pretty challenging off road trails. The engineering and production lines are completely separate for these vehicles. You wouldn't be punishing Jeep, you'd be punishing yourself...

Udi

First Name
Udi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I just got my 2020 JLR back from the dealership for the same wandering/dead spot problems that some of you have - this was my second visit. In the first visit, they've tightened the ball joints and replaced the steering damper. I doubt that replacing the steering damper did anything but tightening the ball joints seems to have helped with the wandering. Either that, or the cold weather is helping. But the wandering problem is now significantly less bad.

Then I brought it back to the dealership second time for the dead spot (~3") at highway speeds. I went in armed with a video showing my steering wheel going down a straight road. I think that was pretty convincing. Looks like I'm driving an old truck with a shot steering box. I also asked them to align the non-centered steering wheel, and I brought with me an alignment report (free from Les Schwab) as proof.

So the dealership kept my Jeep for 2 days and then asked me to take it back home until they receive the parts. Why does it take 2 days to diagnose a steering problem? They haven't done anything to the Jeep, just kept it for 2 days! I believe they intend to replace the steering box and the track bar. Not sure what that is going to achieve since (I believe) this 2020 JLR has all the latest part numbers. With the steering box, it may be lottery - some boxes are good and some are bad. But a new track bar? I already have a new track bar, it's a new Jeep. Are they going to install a 3rd party track bar?

By the way-- how come you all get loaner Jeeps and I get the shuttle?

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My wife has a 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk and it has none of the problems the Wrangler has. It's been very reliable. We both love it and we took it on pretty challenging off road trails. The engineering and production lines are completely separate for these vehicles. You wouldn't be punishing Jeep, you'd be punishing yourself...
It’s the lack of customer service that concerns me. I’m already dealing with it on one vehicle,
I won’t deal with it on a second. I can find plenty of suitable cars for her from manufacturers that stand behind their products.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

Sponsored

Mjanski

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
So did all that fix your issue?
90% better, trying aftermarket adjustable lca to add additional caster and also yeti track bar. Not had chance to try those yet. Also they put an AD box in as thats what was sent from the warehouse. My dead spot and play was not as bad as some have posted here more the tracking and control on highway my main issues.

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
90% better, trying aftermarket adjustable lca to add additional caster and also yeti track bar. Not had chance to try those yet. Also they put an AD box in as thats what was sent from the warehouse. My dead spot and play was not as bad as some have posted here more the tracking and control on highway my main issues.
So they installed a AD steering box, even though your invoice says "AE"? I'm confused...

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just find the whole thing confusing that one persons fix is a gear box, another a track bar, another it’s a steering shaft...etc.
All I know is I have a $42,000 sailboat in my garage that drives like a piece of crap and I’m not going to invest in expensive band aids trying to fix a problem without knowing exactly needs to be fixed. Once it’s a proven solution I will follow thru.
Right now it’s jeeps problem and I’m not letting them skate out of it.

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
I just find the whole thing confusing that one persons fix is a gear box, another a track bar, another it’s a steering shaft...etc.
All I know is I have a $42,000 sailboat in my garage that drives like a piece of crap and I’m not going to invest in expensive band aids trying to fix a problem without knowing exactly needs to be fixed. Once it’s a proven solution I will follow thru.
Right now it’s jeeps problem and I’m not letting them skate out of it.
The problem is that there are clearly several possible reasons for the wandering. There is no one "proven solution" that fixes everyone's steering issues. So if you plan on sitting back and waiting for a "solution" to fall in your lap, I think you're gonna be waiting a while...

Udi

First Name
Udi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s the lack of customer service that concerns me. I’m already dealing with it on one vehicle,
I won’t deal with it on a second. I can find plenty of suitable cars for her from manufacturers that stand behind their products.
I am perplexed by Jeep's lack of response for this JL steering problem. It's just odd that they are neglecting to address a major problem with their money making golden egg goose. But - the service that I am getting from my Jeep dealership since I bought this Wrangler is far better than the service that I've ever gotten from dealerships, including Honda. At Honda, their mantra was always - leave the car here, if this turns out to be a warranty covered problem, we won't charge you. Otherwise you have to pay X dollars for diagnosis plus repairs. At Jeep, they are working on a problem that may or may not have a solution under warranty without any pushback. FCA will eventually have a recall for the steering problems and in the meantime I do feel that at least the local dealership, and JeepCares are taking my concerns seriously and are not nickle and diming me.
Sponsored

Last edited: