Sponsored

Post a screenshot of your average MPG here!

High or Low AVG MPG's

• Total voters

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
On a recent interstate trip to the Big Easy. 75 mph is tough on the JLUR aerodynamics.
69A8F6F3-E49E-4B72-BF3D-EC10F12CB533.jpeg
Forgot to mention the JLUR is a stock six-speed. Anything above 65 mph is tough on the mpg numbers, but didn’t buy the rig for the fuel economy. I’ll take 20 mpg on BFG 33s, though.
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Agreed. I wasn't shopping for the most efficient vehicle I could find, though I still want the best I can get out of it. I'm happy with 18-22 on a 4 door JL around "town". That's better than I was getting with my Ram on road trips so, I'm completely satisfied with the JL's fuel efficiency.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Normally my JLU is not my daily driver but this was a pic from a week that I did drive it all week. My commute is mix and I cruise 60-65 when not stuck in traffic. The all time average varies between low and mid 23s. V6 8spd. Didn’t buy the Jeep worried about MPGs but happily surprised that it does this well.

6D8B74C4-2B26-45CF-970C-4259BF3F678F.jpeg

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Normally my JLU is not my daily driver but this was a pic from a week that I did drive it all week. My commute is mix and I cruise 60-65 when not stuck in traffic. The all time average varies between low and mid 23s. V6 8spd. Didn’t buy the Jeep worried about MPGs but happily surprised that it does this well.

6D8B74C4-2B26-45CF-970C-4259BF3F678F.jpeg
Wow, no way can I get that kind of mileage. I do get between 17 and 18 city though and that is much better than my JK so i am not unhappy.

We took a four hour drive once and I got it up to 23 something.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
I’m on stock tires also so that helps. My commute is more highway than not but anyone who knows the Capital Beltway/495 will tell u traffic can be bad in the afternoon. That particular week wasn’t as bad obviously lol...So my 24.9 MPG over 300 miles pic above is a good week. The pic below is my current all time MPG average.
24D68A57-28F1-4286-8785-4F997B88A32C.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bulldown

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD All Terrain
My 2019 Rubicon with 2.0 gets 21mpg combined city and highway with calculator. 8500 miles on Jeep. Stock 33” BFG’s. The dash mpg says 22-23mpg avg most of the time. I am happy with 20mpg+

Maybe I could get 24 on flat roads, under 60mph.

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
I still don’t get it. Maybe I just drive too fast, but with the 6-speed you aren’t getting anywhere in 6th under 70mph. I’m really interested in how I can’t break 20mpg in a highway but others are getting 23.

Harleexl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe Sting Gray
Occupation
Automotive
Latest pic and never reset since new. This is from pretty easy driving in my work commute lately and I have not been over 70mph much in a week. It's at 26.2 now and sure it can get better but I'd really have to baby it, and maybe remove the roof rack.
Stock JLUS 2.0 BSG hardtop with AT tires.
*Driving it normal, running up to 75mph highway and having a bit of fun with the throttle, I'll get 23-24 avg no problem so I'm pretty happy there!

20191024_194108.jpg

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I still don’t get it. Maybe I just drive too fast, but with the 6-speed you aren’t getting anywhere in 6th under 70mph. I’m really interested in how I can’t break 20mpg in a highway but others are getting 23.
A big part of fuel efficiency is driving style. There are small things you can do to make big improvements.
  • Fist and foremost, look/plan ahead. If you're approaching an intersection and you see a red light, don't drive right up to the light and brake hard to a stop. Ease off the throttle before you get there, and maybe even coast a bit. You should come in at a speed that allows you to break easy/soft when you have to stop. A lot of times the light will change as you get there and you can then ease back into the throttle to get back up to speed.
  • Speaking of slowing down. You mentioned driving a manual. It may be fun to hear the engine/exhaust as you down shift, but don't use the engine/transmission to slow you down by downshifting as you approach a stop. Every time that tach jumps up as you row through the gears you're consuming fuel. It's okay to shift, but let the brakes slow you down, not the engine.
  • When you accelerate away from a stop (or even from a slower speed) don't mash the gas to get going. I'm not saying to baby it, but if you're running the tach up to/near the red line with every shift you're not doing yourself any favors. We always referred to it as "granny shifting" but by shifting at lower rpms you'll burn less fuel.
  • As for freeway driving, don't zig-zag and jockey for position. Get to a cruising speed and maintain it. From a purely physics standpoint it is more efficient to maintain a speed than it is to increase it. So every time you have to speed up, even if it's a minimal amount like 5 mph you're being less efficient. That's one of the big reasons why trying to drive 5-10 over the limit is less efficient than at the limit. When you drive the posted limit you can usually hang out in the right lane without ever adjusting your speed. When you go faster than that you get jammed up behind the slow semi who chose to pass in the other slow semi, you get get bottle necked behind the guy who doesn't know how to merger, etc. Every time you encounter those people you have to slow down a bit. Then you speed back up to your target speed and consume extra fuel.
  • Likewise, don't tailgate. I know a lot of people think "drafting" is efficient. On a race car at 1 foot following distance, while on a race track, sure. In the real world, not so much. You may save a little fuel while you follow someone real close, but the problem is that every time the tap the brake you'll likely do the same. Now you're back to the whole speed up and use extra fuel issue.
  • The other issue with driving fast is that the engine runs at a higher rpm. So not only do you use more fuel to get to your target speed, but you'll be cruising at a higher rpm which uses more fuel.

TLDR: A few minor changes.
Plan ahead and be easy on the brakes.
Don't use the transmission/engine to slow you down.
Ease into the throttle, and/or shift sooner.
Pick a cruise speed that allows you to maintain that speed.
Don't tailgate.
Slow down.

Do those things and you'll be more efficient. Some people don't enjoy the ride when they drive like that. If that's the case, just consider the lower fuel economy as part of the cost of driving more "spiritedly".

Sponsored

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Much better than the first 2K miles, combined city and highway

KIMG1187.JPG

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
After adding an 800 mile trip, half of which was in the mountains, I was glad to see my average for that 800 increased to slightly over 20. With about 1500 miles on it now, I am impressed it went up. But does that have anything to do with the miles on it - or maybe how I drove it? I did have a somewhat heavy foot as I always do, but 2/3 of those miles were with a small (empty) utility trailer behind it, which in CA means you have to slow down to a maximum speed of no more than 55mph...which means 1/3 of the trip often had me going 70 while 2/3 had me only going 60. So now I think the mileage logarithmically gets worse somewhere between 60 and 70, due largely to the aerodynamics of this thing...

erick73

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S, 2019 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019, 2 door, 6 speed manual, mostly highway driving with cruise set between 65-68 mph.

MPG.jpg

MPG2.jpg

T43

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
My best tank was 28.5 Highway driving. My worst was 19.2 almost all in 4wd and 4low. This trip is the 26 pic and is mostly highway and some gravel roads. My overall is the 24 pic. 2019 JLU Sport stock tires and suspension 3.6 auto.

20191019_012111.jpg

20191019_012107.jpg

JlChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU SPORT
I too have the 6 speed manual, although the 3.6 likes to be revved I have found my best fuel mileage comes when I have the cruise control on in 6th set at 62mph. I usually average about 23 to 24 mpg. Stock tires, 2.5 spacer lift.
Sponsored