Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The wife an I aren’t really group people, to be honest we’re not political, we’d rather talk about lifts, springs, shocks, engines, and such out on the trail. And yeah, the wife holds her own in those conversations. Lol.

We have a couple friends we wheel with, and sometimes we just like getting out there ourselves. We almost always come across people wheeling anyway.

I’ve looked into some local groups and even met up with some. Although they seem to welcome you to their little group, you can tell your not really being accepted. Not everyone, but mostly jk and tj people, don’t get me wrong I like all Jeeps new and old, but it’s almost like they resent you for having something different. Not a big deal for us, I just found it interesting.

This isn’t a “ built not bought ” kind of thing, as most of them are in newer rigs.
I was curious how is it where you live, any similar experiences? Sorry if this is a thread already, I kinda browsed and didn’t see anything, but then I can barely do this forum thing as it is..lol ......:jk:....:)
Sponsored

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The wife an I aren’t really group people, to be honest we’re not political, we’d rather talk about lifts ,springs,shocks,engines, and such. And yeah the wife holds her own in those conversations too. Lol.

We have a couple friends we wheel with, and sometimes we just like getting out there ourselves. We almost always come across people wheeling anyway.

I’ve looked into some local groups and even met up with some. Although they seem to welcome you to their little group, you can tell your not really being accepted. Not everyone, but mostly jk and tj people, almost like they resent you for having something different. Not that I really care, I just found it interesting.
This isn’t a “built not bought”kind of thing as most of them are in newer rigs.
I was curious how is it where you live, any similar experiences? Sorry if this a thread already I kinda browse ahead of time didn’t see anything, but then I can barely do this forum thing as it is..lol ......:jk:....:)
It was the same when the YJ came out, then the TJ, then the JK. I've actually seen less of it with the JL. I think the sheer numbers will move the JL into acceptance quicker than the others gained it when they first came out. Plus, with the proliferation of 37's on JLs, it's harder to knock them.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I've also seen this when the S2000 went from 2.0L to 2.2L, and every time Harley comes out with a new engine. The bottom line, if you've got something newer, there will be people with the older version that resent you and think yours is not a true one. Heck, I remember as a kid thinking the square lights on the YJ were ugly, then hearing when I had my JK that real jeeps had square headlights ;)

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
The Wrangler is above all else an "image" vehicle, so it's generally bought by people concerned about their "image", and thus insecure about their "image". I think that's all you are witnessing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Roky

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This may sound harsh, but the problem may be you.
A lack of self confidence, or just an introverted personality.
If you don't "feel" accepted, maybe those feelings are just yours.
Ouch!! fair enough, you don’t know me, that could be a possibility, but I’m a big ole teddy bear, life of the party....we’re not inverted or snobs, just good ole country folk. I’m sure some of it is personality clash, but what I’m seeing goes beyond that....:)

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
The Wrangler is above all else an "image" vehicle, so it's generally bought by people concerned about their "image", and thus insecure about their "image". I think that's all you are witnessing.
Thats a big generalization. There has to be people who bought their jeeps for reasons other than image. Doesnt there ? At least ? Maybe ? Shit ! Im not insecure am I ? Arent we talking about BMW and Mercedes people ? Not jeep people ! Say it aint so !

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
This may sound harsh, but the problem may be you.
A lack of self confidence, or just an introverted personality.
If you don't "feel" accepted, maybe those feelings are just yours.
Where is this thread goin ? Roky , lie down on the sofa and let it all out. Im here for ya !

Sponsored

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Coming from a really capable trail rig (YJ) and a hardcore trail rig (yj) to a JLUR, I totally get the attitude towards the new ones. All these people in their young 20’s rolling around with a lifted JK looking down upon JL’s because the JK is a real Jeep. Kids.... listen up, your JKU was the original abomination to the Jeep platform. Four doors, slanted and curved windshield, V6, dare I say it was crazy wide. That’s really the only other platform that I’ve noticed which gives the JL any grief. Get over yourselves. The yj and tj guys always come looking at my JL. I can share my battle stories Of the YJ consisting of 4am runs to the trail head in the sierras with no windows, no cup holders for my grande cold brew, no heated seats, and oh my god how did I survive without the heated steering wheel. We enjoy each other’s company in passing, we laugh, we are real jeepers.

The mature jeeper doesn’t care what you drive. Find a new group of people that are worth spending your time with.

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
It ain't a real Jeep until the next one comes out. At least that's been my experience with Jeep clubs. Same way with Miatas, the first water-cooled Porsche 911s, etc. Doesn't bother me though because I drive what I like and know that it is superior in every way.:rock:

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
I've also seen this when the S2000 went from 2.0L to 2.2L, and every time Harley comes out with a new engine. The bottom line, if you've got something newer, there will be people with the older version that resent you and think yours is not a true one. Heck, I remember as a kid thinking the square lights on the YJ were ugly, then hearing when I had my JK that real jeeps had square headlights ;)
Ha, you brought back S2000 memories since I owned both - couldn't believe the grief, trading in my 2002 for the 2006, I took since the redline dropped from 8800 rpm on the 2.0 to 8000 on the 2.2 (later models with the 2.2 were also softer - still felt every pebble you went over:). Both sounded unbelievable when the VTEC kicked in at 6000 grand.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
I’m with you Roky. Wife and I have tried Jeep clubs. Just not for us. We are ok with a small group of friends (new or old), but enjoy wheeling by ourselves a lot.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Thats a big generalization. There has to be people who bought their jeeps for reasons other than image. Doesnt there ? At least ? Maybe ? Shit ! Im not insecure am I ? Arent we talking about BMW and Mercedes people ? Not jeep people ! Say it aint so !
Well, it isn't a practical vehicle, it's not affordable, and it's not a utility vehicle (yeah, it's good off road, but so are UTVs that cost less than half as much as a Wrangler). So if it's not an "image vehicle", it's a 'toy'. There are plenty of 'BMW people' that take their modified E36 M3 to the track every weekend and are every bit the enthusiast as the guy with the Wrangler on 37s, and their decades-old track car has zero snob appeal.

Nothing wrong with that. We all own hundreds of things with limited objective value/purpose, but oodles of subjective value.
Sponsored