Sponsored

Soft Top Winter Storage (not just windows)?

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Lol. I can't believe you put it in Sunrider position!!!
I store it like everyone else. : - ) The joke is pertinent to a bunch of threads on the forum that I've participated in where debate has occurred over whether FCA sanctions keeping the soft windows in while the top's installed on the rig, and in Sunrider position.

The debate's about whether any damages caused by keeping those windows in would be covered by FCA either in product replacement, or the more expensive tort liability of bodily (human, not vehicle) damage that, on the outside change, might result to, say, drivers behind you on a highway from soft windows that dislodge.

By no means wishing to hijack this thread or even discuss this anymore, the owner's manual advocates window removal while other FCA produced materials like a supplemental guide, a video, and a picture suggest keeping the windows in is okay. The prior two have disclaimers, having the consumer of this content review to the owner's manual for complete details, the latter--picturing an JL off road and parked does not.

And we've debated basically the role of disclaimers in US law, my taking the stance that damages that result from keeping the soft windows in and their dislodging during travel, however unlikely, and something I often do, could successfully name FCA in litigation; my claiming that one (cost aside, just legally) would have quite a difficult time making such a case. : - )

Please return to your "regularly schedule" methods of hanging soft tops while in storage. : - )

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I use a Jtops boot to hold the top together and a window storage bag for the windows. I hang it all on the wall of my garage using some k-rail I bought from Lowe's.
20190310_185250.jpg
20190310_185210.jpg
Curiosity question. I guess it's reasonable to conclude that you're a Dual Top Owner.

(I mean I guess you could have purchased your winter top aftermarket, or really enjoy snow in your cabin (NOT).)

This said, I'm presuming your soft top came with a storage cover from FCA. Assuming it did, what made you choose the Jtop's boot over the stock cover?

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Curiosity question. I guess it's reasonable to conclude that you're a Dual Top Owner.

(I mean I guess you could have purchased your winter top aftermarket, or really enjoy snow in your cabin (NOT).)

This said, I'm presuming your soft top came with a storage cover from FCA. Assuming it did, what made you choose the Jtop's boot over the stock cover?
Not much snow here in Alabama, mostly just cold/freezing rain to worry about in our winter time. I am a dual too owner however, I ordered mine with a soft top only. I realized that as much as I love the soft top, being able to stay a canoe, cargo carrier, etc.. to the top was something that I wanted to be able to do. I found a premium soft top that was used for less than one summer locally at a bargain price of $700 and pounced on the deal, if only to have another for the future. I ended up seeing another (semi)local ad of someone wanting to trade their hard top for a soft top. I messaged him, made the deal and we made the swap. $700 for a hardtop with the MOPAR headliner was a pretty good deal to me. So, long story short, no factory cover but I do enjoy the boot when the soft top is down for multiple days in a row.

Sponsored

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
I take the top off folded and run the straps for the hoist inside the rails (tubes?) then tie the folded ends off to the ropes for the hoist so that they are no longer hanging down. It helps that I did not cut off the extra rope when I installed the hoist. Then I set everything else on top of the folded top. The windows rolled up the window surrounds etc.

I was thinking I should take a picture of this but already had it hoisted when I thought of it. I will in the spring so I can remember how I did it for next fall.
picture would be great as this option would save me some time! Also I’m curious about you rolling up the windows as I was under the impression that was a JK thing only and JL windows can’t be rolled. It’s getting to be about the time to swap and this is my first go around as a dual top owner.

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
picture would be great as this option would save me some time! Also I’m curious about you rolling up the windows as I was under the impression that was a JK thing only and JL windows can’t be rolled. It’s getting to be about the time to swap and this is my first go around as a dual top owner.
Oops sorry the windows are not rolled up they are in the Mopar Storage bag. I was thinking back to the JK for a minute.

I will try to get a picture of it and post in the next day or two.

OP
OP
TaxPhan

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax

I threw away the boot/cover from FCA as it seemed to be just for shipping. There was spot that was ripping so I didn't think twice about it. I just ordered the JTops boot, as a result of my actions. I like being able to wrap it up when storing. I think I'll purchase some sort of rack/shelf to attach to my hoist, and then I'll set it right on there. I think.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Any fear of rodents eating your top in storage? I have had a couple small things (roll of shop towels, bag for a handheld vacuum) gnawed on by mice in my garage, should I put some mothballs out or something? That would be a very expensive meal for a mouse if it ate through part of my soft top...

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Any fear of rodents eating your top in storage? I have had a couple small things (roll of shop towels, bag for a handheld vacuum) gnawed on by mice in my garage, should I put some mothballs out or something? That would be a very expensive meal for a mouse if it ate through part of my soft top...
Always worried about mice in the shed . I simply suspend the top from the rafters.
IMG_0813.JPG

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I threw away the boot/cover from FCA as it seemed to be just for shipping. There was spot that was ripping so I didn't think twice about it. I just ordered the JTops boot, as a result of my actions. I like being able to wrap it up when storing. I think I'll purchase some sort of rack/shelf to attach to my hoist, and then I'll set it right on there. I think.
Yeah, while my factory boot's still intact my impressions are that its (lack of) quality was more consistent with something that wraps a new soft top than something that wraps a soft top over the repeated winter seasons you own it.

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I lay the top through the straps and lash the ends using the extra rope that I did not cut off.
Then set the door surrounds on top of that. The shorter ones are actually inside.
Then the Windows in their storage bag top everything else.

20191024_152118.jpg
20191024_152130.jpg

20191024_152050.jpg
20191024_151958.jpg

Then pull up to the ceiling out of the way.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Always worried about mice in the shed . I simply suspend the top from the rafters.
IMG_0813.JPG
If the mice are hungry enough, those ropes are simply an expressway towards a meal. Ask me how I know:headbang:
Edit: unless you put something like mothballs or cedar chips or something. That should keep the critters out:like:

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
If the mice are hungry enough, those ropes are simply an expressway towards a meal. Ask me how I know:headbang:
Edit: unless you put something like mothballs or cedar chips or something. That should keep the critters out:like:
The shed is filled with rodent deterrent plus one of the best mousers in the state is a member of the family , meet SHANTI , she weighs in at 14 lbs and is detrimental to local rodents health !
IMG_0819.JPG
Sponsored