D rings or red hook for recovery

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Starting to get my recovery gear and reading about doing recovery...most people use d rings and kits come with them, but our steel bumper only has hooks... from what I see hooking up a d ring or even just a strap to a hook can be dangerous because if it comes off it becomes a deadly projectile.

What points do our bumpers have that we can securely sue for recovery, or is it really not as bad as it sounds?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing wrong with a strap on the stock tow hooks. People need to get out of the way though still just in case. A strap will generally fall to the ground.

Don't use a strap with hooks on it or put a D ring on the strap and then on a hook. Like you've said, it can become a projectile.

Last edited:
OP
OP

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Nothing wrong with a strap on the stock tow hooks. People need to get out of the way though still just in case. A strap will generally fall to the ground.

Don't use a strap with hooks on it or put a D ring on the strap and then on a hook. Like you've as I'd, it can become a projectile.
Si just use the loop at the end of the strap?

I’m guessing this doesn’t happen with a winch

Sponsored

olmectech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee, Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
I replaced front and rear bumpers because of those hooks. Don't understand why Jeep does not put closed loops on those bumpers from factory.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Like @Chocolate Thunder said...Soft shackles or just use the strap. The factory hooks are just fine. Front and rear.