Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Love your information, it was well presented and informative. Yes if capable, do it yourself it very easy and with the jeep design, high access height you can just craw under. I won't even have my local dealership change the oil even though I had free oil changes. They are basically inept beyond believe. I'm sure they would put in 6 quarts as well as the wrong weight. The 0W20 is specified for a good reason. These engines are build to a closer tolerance and need the thinner oil for lubrication.
personally i think the 0W is for mpg. Thicker oil can actually hurt your mpg slightly. Fiat did everything they could to squeeze out every extra .0001% of mpg on the JLs.

and we’re all busy busting that mpg right back down with bigger tires, lifts, and more weight! :jk:
Sponsored

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Do it yourself. Super easy (easiest of any vehicle I have ever owned) and you’ll know it’s done right. (Or if you mess up, at least you have only yourself to blame. It happens: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/oil-filter-o-ring-placement-matters.34840/ )

Besides the inconvenience of going to the dealer, too many of them are putting in 6qts of oil (because that’s what the 3.6L V6 took in the previous generation).

A 5 tire rotation is very easy as it only requires that one wheel be jacked at a time.

Here’s the note I keep on my iPhone to keep things easy:

Oil:
5q 0w20

Oil Filter:
MOPAR MO-349 68191349AB/AC
Mobil 1: M1C-456A

Air Filter:
MOPAR 68257030AA
8mm socket

Cabin Filter:
MOPAR 68301863AA

Tools:
22mm lugs
13mm drain plug
24mm oil filter cap (torqued to 18lbs)

Pull F11 & F97 to reset UConnect
(Edit: this is not a maintenance item, just a “note to self”)

upload_2019-10-15_17-47-37.jpeg

upload_2019-10-15_17-47-8.jpeg

Thank you......of all the information on this forum....most of it is good information....but your posting provides GREAT maintenance info at our fingertips. This is good to have handy.

Great tip on having it on the phone.

THANKS

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
personally i think the 0W is for mpg. Thicker oil can actually hurt your mpg slightly. Fiat did everything they could to squeeze out every extra .0001% of mpg on the JLs.

and we’re all busy busting that mpg right back down with bigger tires, lifts, and more weight! :jk:
I agree 100%. The 0w is for increased gas mileage, which saves FCA money. I do not feel it gives the best protection for the 3.6 V6, especially past the warranty.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I change my own oil now, but for my freebies I did this......

398A5DFA-4218-4075-BF39-D6971770EDE1.jpeg

79CB45EB-FC16-42A9-9F42-CD82EF889BB6.jpeg

worked great.... $ 5.00 on Amazon, by far my cheapest and easiest, but most effective mod so far. Also it’s for me, since I change my oil in my ram work truck, same engine but takes 6 quarts... :facepalm:.....:).
link please?

Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Thank you......of all the information on this forum....most of it is good information....but your posting provides GREAT maintenance info at our fingertips. This is good to have handy.

Great tip on having it on the phone.

THANKS
All good info, but for the oil drain plug a 1/2" socket, and the oil filter cover a 15/16" are tight, the metrics have some slop there.

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Corolla S, 2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
It's over the limit. I'm going to have to drain it.
20191018_181112.jpg
I finally got some calls returned. They're saying the paperwork is incorrect and that they really put 5 quarts. I checked the dipstick and according to the picture, they're just lying to me at this point.

I did remove oil that night and it's at the top level of the dipstick. I'll take advantage of the free oil changes but will double check again next time.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
I finally got some calls returned. They're saying the paperwork is incorrect and that they really put 5 quarts. I checked the dipstick and according to the picture, they're just lying to me at this point.

I did remove oil that night and it's at the top level of the dipstick. I'll take advantage of the free oil changes but will double check again next time.
Get one of these pumps and simply suck the oil out. Much much easier
pump.jpg

Sponsored

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
Get one of these pumps and simply suck the oil out. Much much easier
pump.jpg
I agree with that. On my wife's old LR4, it was the only way that you could change the oil. I use that pump for all kinds of stuff.

AJR2025

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Had my Jeep wave oil change done today at Lafontaine in Lansing, Mi. The invoice says they put in 6 quarts. I questioned them. I was told that the “manual is wrong, that their system had been updated and calls for 5.5 quarts. The computer system only allows them to itemize whole numbers. That’s why it says 6” . On top of that, they installed the steering damper backwards. “The steering damper can go both ways”. If that’s the case, why put a sticker on it indicating the proper direction?

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Had my Jeep wave oil change done today at Lafontaine in Lansing, Mi. The invoice says they put in 6 quarts. I questioned them. I was told that the “manual is wrong, that their system had been updated and calls for 5.5 quarts. The computer system only allows them to itemize whole numbers. That’s why it says 6” . On top of that, they installed the steering damper backwards. “The steering damper can go both ways”. If that’s the case, why put a sticker on it indicating the proper direction?
Hey, I grew up in Lansing left about 30 years ago though.

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
I took mine in for it's first Jeep Wave oil change. I also took my own Castrol Syntec 0W20 because they were only going to use a synthetic blend. So it cost me $25 for the 5qt jug at Walmart. I talked to the oil tech and he knew JLs are 5 qts. I joking told him he can only use the contents of that jug and nothing else. Fortunately I was able to watch through the window and everything went well. Oil level was near the top of the indented area on the dipstick. The tech had previously worked at the dealership owner's Audi dealership and seemed to do a good job. Whew!

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Just went in for my second oil change after the last one 6 moths ago where I argued that they over filled it and contacted Jeep about it which they promised to address it with the dealer. And lo and behold they got it right the paperwork says 5 and the oil stick looks good
Sponsored