John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Fingers crossed. Thanks for the info
I talked to a regional rep and it seems the class action as well as NTSB reports have triggered them to take this more proactively.

I am told a recall campaign will be issued to replace all JL's tie rod, drag link, track bar, and stabilizer with revised parts.

For JL Rubicons and Moabs the steering box will also be part of the recall. The steering box is a new rev that has some sort of automatic lash adjustment to prevent the slop that develops due to the larger tires and more load being put on the steering box on those models.

I asked about other model owners who put larger tires on and got the typical "Will vary by case" response.
Sponsored

OP
OP

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I talked to a regional rep and it seems the class action as well as NTSB reports have triggered them to take this more proactively.

I am told a recall campaign will be issued to replace all JL's tie rod, drag link, track bar, and stabilizer with revised parts.

For JL Rubicons and Moabs the steering box will also be part of the recall. The steering box is a new rev that has some sort of automatic lash adjustment to prevent the slop that develops due to the larger tires and more load being put on the steering box on those models.

I asked about other model owners who put larger tires on and got the typical "Will vary by case" response.
Well, I’ve replaced everything but the steering box with steersmarts stuff at this point, so hope they don’t fight me too much on the steering box. I asked for it to be replaced on my last two trips and FCA keeps telling the dealer they won’t do anything until I return everything to factory default. Very frustrating. Any idea on time frame?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Well, I’ve replaced everything but the steering box with steersmarts stuff at this point, so hope they don’t fight me too much on the steering box. I asked for it to be replaced on my last two trips and FCA keeps telling the dealer they won’t do anything until I return everything to factory default. Very frustrating. Any idea on time frame?
I don't think the new box and all the parts are available yet so thats likely the hold up to getting things announced and underway.

I also have it all replaced with Synergy drag/tie rods, Fox stabilizer, and JKS Track bar.

The only good news is if it becomes a recall campaign they won't piss around over the other mods; you just won't get those parts swapped out but dealer can't block the replacement.

If it's a dealer approved replacement it's usually a lot harder to convince them as they are measured on replacement parts they consume and some take the position it's caused by the aftermarket parts.

Vondy

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

Hope this is true and works. Had JLUR just 1 1/2 months. On its fourth trip for warranty on steering. On second box, second tie rod, alignment, added lower adjustable control arms, another alignment, tightened steering box and have at least made the steering tolerable. Still not the greatest.

2019RubiconNY

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon, 21 Willys, 22 Rubicon
Well this thread sounds like BS. “I KNOW A GUY” comments don’t help. Say what you have to say or don’t say anything at all

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It’s a gut feeling after talking to a Jeep engineer who is a family friend!
There is now a new AE version of the steering box for JLUs. It has been out for a few weeks now. If you call your Jeep dealer's parts department, they will confirm that AE replaces AD. In addition, a few people have posted in the main steering thread that the AE version has fixed the loose steering in their JL (4 door only). One mentioned there was an accompanying software update that went along with the new AE steering box.

Last edited:

5280Sapper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Disabled Veteran
well
Well this thread sounds like BS. “I KNOW A GUY” comments don’t help. Say what you have to say or don’t say anything at all
sorry theres more to it then just a hard part... but oh well.

2019RubiconNY

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is now a new AE version of the steering box for JLUs. It has been out for a few weeks now. If you call your Jeep dealer's parts department, they will confirm that AE replaces AD. In addition, a few people have posted in the main steering thread that the AE version has fixed the loose steering in their JL (4 door only). One mentioned there was an accompanying software update that went along with the new AE steering box.
Whoa, this is HUGE NEWS.
I’ve been having steering issues for months. It’s documented.
Do you think dealership will just order me one knowing my history with steering and not go through the whole “bring it in/drive with someone/let’s look and find what’s wrong” story?

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Whoa, this is HUGE NEWS.
I’ve been having steering issues for months. It’s documented.
Do you think dealership will just order me one knowing my history with steering and not go through the whole “bring it in/drive with someone/let’s look and find what’s wrong” story?
If the documented history includes that they agree there is a steering issue and they have tried the other remedies first listed in the steering Star case, then the steering box would be the next logical direction.

2019RubiconNY

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the documented history includes that they agree there is a steering issue and they have tried the other remedies first listed in the steering Star case, then the steering box would be the next logical direction.
I’m asking @JeepCares to step in for me and help. Since I’m waiting for new updated track bar to come in, maybe they can also order new steering box and have them installed together. I have had many many documented steering issues for the last 8 months. Already had steering box tweaked at dealer too. Already had damper replaced. Hope @JeepCares can talk to dealer to push it through. Already sent them a message and now waiting to hear back, hopefully before my other part arrives at dealer

Sponsored

Vezfly

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I’m asking @JeepCares to step in for me and help. Since I’m waiting for new updated track bar to come in, maybe they can also order new steering box and have them installed together. I have had many many documented steering issues for the last 8 months. Already had steering box tweaked at dealer too. Already had damper replaced. Hope @JeepCares can talk to dealer to push it through. Already sent them a message and now waiting to hear back, hopefully before my other part arrives at dealer
You need a new steering box, it is not supposed to be tweaked. That is why it has locktite on it from factory. Look at star case, it specifically backs what I’m saying here . They can check torques, they are NOT allowed to make adjustments

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Any update on new steering boxes? Mine is lifted with 37 tires and the dead spot is annoying. Especially in high cross winds with the wheel turned 45 degrees haha

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JlUR 2016 GT350 2017 Laramie
I have the 2020 jlur ... 2 weeks old, first thing i noticed was the disjointed feel of the steering... it has the AE steering box. Lowered psi to 36, even better when 34(cold) made a huge difference. Telescoping the steering wheel out also made a surprising difference. Im about to do a 1/8th cw turn on the steering box... will let you know... i need it to be better at speed, faster you go worse/lighter/looser it gets

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
I have the 2020 jlur ... 2 weeks old, first thing i noticed was the disjointed feel of the steering... it has the AE steering box. Lowered psi to 36, even better when 34(cold) made a huge difference. Telescoping the steering wheel out also made a surprising difference. Im about to do a 1/8th cw turn on the steering box... will let you know... i need it to be better at speed, faster you go worse/lighter/looser it gets
FYI - they put red loctite on the adjuster, make sure you heat it before attempting to turn

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JlUR 2016 GT350 2017 Laramie
FYI - they put red loctite on the adjuster, make sure you heat it before attempting to turn
Thanks for the heads up! Initially rotated 1/16th clockwise with subtle but noticeable improvement. Continued to 1/8th, feels much better imo, stopping here. I would say I have about 1/4-1/2 inch of play (was around 1 1/2 off the lot). I would also say the play feels stiffer and much more connected. I have yet to take it back on the highway where I felt it was at its worst but in town driving(<80km/h) is now good. I would now give it a 7 out of ten vs 3 off the lot.
Sponsored