Website
www.metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL 2.0T Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sales and tech support for MetalCloak
Thank you- So if someone were to purchase the fenders now, when your black box comes out, will that be an additional charge, or will it then be shipped to current customers.
Not 100% sure at this point. It honestly may come down to cost but we will always work with our customers to help make it right.
Sponsored

CloakedWillys

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL 2.0T Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sales and tech support for MetalCloak

SilverSahara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Iā€™ve just installed the Metalcloak overland fenders on my Jeep JL

Iā€™ve found that the white LED daytime running light on the Metalcloak fender comes on but is very very dim. I have checked the connections and all seems fine.

The yellow turn signal / indicator works fine and is quite bright.

Has anyone seen this or can anyone suggest a path to troubleshoot ?
Did you go with powder coated black or did you have them color matched? Iā€™m seriously considering dropping the $$ on replacing all 4 fenders. Any pics? Good to know about the lighting issues too, thanks for posting.

haiducool

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
I have the fenders and would strongly recommend them - strong enough to step on them if needed (for example load things on the rack), and also flat - perfect for beer bottles.

However the DRL lights - I just spent today another 2 hours trying to sort out and gave up. My problem is the left side is much brighter than right. Metal Cloak sent me a new one - same results. I tested the voltage with a multimeter - 8V instead of 12V, so suspect that's the problem. For whatever reason, Jeep is sending 8V when running. The other problem is that even when the car is off and locked, one DRL is flickering. Again I suspect Jeep is the culprit. Even if I set the DRL with Tazer to none. I ultimately just cut off the cable to the DRL lights.. Might connect them later to s-pod or similar, however they are a bit too bright an overpower the halos. My preference is to run with halos only.

Sponsored

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have the fenders and would strongly recommend them - strong enough to step on them if needed (for example load things on the rack), and also flat - perfect for beer bottles.

However the DRL lights - I just spent today another 2 hours trying to sort out and gave up. My problem is the left side is much brighter than right. Metal Cloak sent me a new one - same results. I tested the voltage with a multimeter - 8V instead of 12V, so suspect that's the problem. For whatever reason, Jeep is sending 8V when running. The other problem is that even when the car is off and locked, one DRL is flickering. Again I suspect Jeep is the culprit. Even if I set the DRL with Tazer to none. I ultimately just cut off the cable to the DRL lights.. Might connect them later to s-pod or similar, however they are a bit too bright an overpower the halos. My preference is to run with halos only.
I really am no expert and do not have a high level of understanding with these new canbus 12v systems, but couldnā€™t you just use a relay? Just use the oem DRL wire as the trigger wire hooked up to a relay wired directly to the battery. Then when your Jeep turns on the drl circuit it triggers the relay and then....BOOM!, 12v straight from the battery to the DRLs.
I know itā€™s additional rigging and you shouldnā€™t have to do it after spending so much on the fenders, but it seems like a feasible workaround (assuming 8 volts is enough to trigger the relay).

haiducool

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
For me personally, the led light is too bright and appear diffused at full power (i.e. overpowers the halos).

Another change I would love to see if the turn signals - the difference in brightness between just driving at night and then turning is not sufficiently distinct, so it kinda gets lost. Cars on the side don't appear to see me turning. The small size of the light, and the position/ angle does not help.

ChiZona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Not sure yet. We are still tested and want to make sure it does not cause any issues before we release them.
Has this finished testing yet, is there a plan yet to release to customers whom have purchased these?
Sponsored