Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
So probably not my smartest decision ever, but in the first week I had my Jeep we went on a 3,000 mile cross-country trek and thought I would share what I learned about my 2020 JLUR. My Jeep is a JLUR with the 3.6L and the automatic transmission and I also added the tow package, the LEDs, and Sky One Touch top.

Why would I subject my wife, 2 kids, and 3 dogs to this? I just got back from deployment and couldn't find a great deal on the Jeep I wanted anywhere close to Tucson so I thought hey, why not do an order through Criswell. I worked with Pat and got my Bikini Blue Rubi on a friday and enjoyed the cool MD weather and then drove up on Saturday with my 4 year old (who was staying with my parents for a few weeks) to Michigan where my wife and 2 year old daughter were staying as well as the 3 pups. After getting a 6x12 uhaul hitched up, we did a 3 day drive back to Tucson, 2 of the dogs into the jeep and the other and the kids got the minivan treatment. Total length of the trip was just about 3K and all of it pretty much interstate driving.

So how did the JLUR do? Overall, better than I expected as a whole. While not the greatest of driving options for several thousand miles in only a few days, it performed well at something its not exactly built for.

What I liked:
The driving comfort was pretty great. Even after dozens of hours of straight driving with only quick breaks and quick motels, the seat was supportive and didn't have any issues. The additional options versus the 2012 JK I had previously were very helpful, the Sirius and the automatic climate control being the true standouts.

The transmission is tremendous. I love manual transmissions but I opted for the auto this time and its one of the smoothest driving I have had. It never wanted to hunt for gears and my RPMs never made me questions if I had the best gear. Even with a max'd 3500 lb trailer, no complaints.

What I didn't:
Gas mileage wasn't great, I was getting about 18 traveling between 70-75 MPH before the trailer and then averaged low 12s with it attached. I can't complain too much as I knew it wasn't going to be good but was hoping for a little better than i actually got.

The LEDs combined with the trailer isn't great. I think its due to the large weight on the rear suspension pushing the nose up but definitely got flashed a lot by drivers for blinding them.

Overall:
So how did the JLUR do? Overall, better than I expected as a whole. While not the greatest of driving options for several thousand miles in only a few days, it performed well at something its not exactly built to do well. I have zero regrets, not only about the purchase but even using it for the trip.

IMG_20191002_092240193.jpg
Sponsored

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
70 - 75 driving a brick shaped vehicle. I'd be happy with 18. I suspect if you'd back that off to 60 - 65 you'd break into the 20s. To boot, brand new. Get some miles on it and it should loosen up a bit.

The Jeep is a streamliner compared to that trailer, not to mention that between it and the weight of ya'll and the dogs you've doubled the curb weight. I'm not the least bit surprised by your numbers.

Oh, and welcome home. Good job.

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
70 - 75 driving a brick shaped vehicle. I'd be happy with 18. I suspect if you'd back that off to 60 - 65 you'd break into the 20s. To boot, brand new. Get some miles on it and it should loosen up a bit.

The Jeep is a streamliner compared to that trailer, not to mention that between it and the weight of ya'll and the dogs you've doubled the curb weight. I'm not the least bit surprised by your numbers.

Oh, and welcome home. Good job.
As you put more miles on it the MPGs should improve. I got over 28,000 miles in 6 months and am getting over 20.5 MPG averaging 85 MPH. Mine is a 6 speed though, I'm not sure how that plays into it (6th vs. 8th gearing and difference in parasitic loss %)

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
We live just south of Tucson, but had the same experience with the local dealer. We drove to Idaho and bought from Peterson in Nampa and bought a 2019 JLUR. Great buying experience and my wife and two daughters went on the trip to and from Boise. My two sons were working summer jobs so they couldn't go and wouldn't have fit anyhow since we were bringing the soft top back in the cargo area. We drove 1200+ miles in 2 days. We recently did a 1600+ mile trip to Northern Arizona and then to Southern California and back to Tucson. It was an even better experience now that I know what to expect and its capabilities a bit more.

I got just shy of 19 mpg, but never had a trailer attached, but have the 6-speed manual. I have a little over 9600 miles on the Jeep in 3 months and am now getting around 21.5 mpg. We have the LED package as well and get flashed by a ton of people driving at night so I have to think the height of the Jeep is part of the dynamic. I just flash people back to show them that I am not running the high beams.

I love the Jeep so far and hate to drive any of the other vehicles as they just suck. There are a few Jeep clubs in the Tucson area and we ride with SOAZ (look them up on Facebook) and they have run almost every weekend and are planning some bigger runs in 2020. A fun drive is through box canyon and when you get near Gardnerville there is a little 17% incline off the North side of the road that is a good excuse to use 4Lo and try out the lockers. We have done well over 100 miles of off roading with SOAZ and I have been amazed at how easy the Rubicon goes over obstacles that would stop any of the other vehicles I own. Hope to see you on the trails, and there are a ton in the Tucson area. My wife wants a Bikini Jeep (not a Rubicon) now to go along with our Hellayella Rubicon.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Jim, thank you for your service and congrats on the new Jeep! I agree with you on that the auto is very smooth and the seat is comfortable.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JJSix

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Good to be home. Dropped the trailer and MPG is looking about 19 driving around Tucson right now so definitely getting better.

Cdnjeep

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
you can adjust the led headlights with a flathead screw driver.. I had to do that to mine when I kept getting high beamed by people lol..

Sponsored