Jeep Wave/oil change ?

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Changing my oil later this morning, and I’m 100% sure it will be done right. Oil and filter were $36, and it will take 15 minutes of my time. I never used any of the free oil changes. You get what you pay for.

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Mechanical inclination isnt really a prerequisite for changing ones oil. Maybe a place to do it , is.
Not many vehicles you can change the oil on and don’t even have to lift it up. Don’t really need a “place” unless you can’t find a level spot and 15 minutes.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It's over the limit. I'm going to have to drain it.
20191018_181112.jpg
I change my own oil now, but for my freebies I did this......

398A5DFA-4218-4075-BF39-D6971770EDE1.jpeg

79CB45EB-FC16-42A9-9F42-CD82EF889BB6.jpeg

worked great.... $ 5.00 on Amazon, by far my cheapest and easiest, but most effective mod so far. Also it’s for me, since I change my oil in my ram work truck, same engine but takes 6 quarts... :facepalm:.....:).

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
just find yourself a good dealer, had my 3rd Jeep Wave oil change, took 30 minutes including 5 tire rotation, no appt necessary, correct 5 quarts, while I sipped on good coffee and did some work using their WIFI, will change myself after the 4th, but nothing wrong with FREE.....

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Makes sense to take advantage of the free tire rotation (of course checking how over torqued they are when I got home and they will be) as that's a pain in the ass but oil I do myself.

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Got my 6 qts (grrr) and four tire (they totally ignored that I asked for 5) rotation and they replaced my steering dampener (without asking) even though the original was working fine.

Done with Jeep Wave freebies

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
just find yourself a good dealer, had my 3rd Jeep Wave oil change, took 30 minutes including 5 tire rotation, no appt necessary, correct 5 quarts, while I sipped on good coffee and did some work using their WIFI, will change myself after the 4th, but nothing wrong with FREE.....
Several here in Houston Tx has tried several Dealer Service Centers and have been unhappy with service received from all.

Sponsored

Mike630

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
After they give you six quarts instead of 5 be sure to drain the extra quart. At the end of your four free oils changes you’ll almost have enough for a fifth free oil change.

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

Take advantage of it. (Ride the wave?).
My local dealer (not where I bought the Rubicon) got me in within a couple days and did a recall job (steering damper) at the same time. They even got me a free Enterprise rental (Dodge Ram 4x4....). Better than completely painless.

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Do it yourself. Super easy (easiest of any vehicle I have ever owned) and you’ll know it’s done right. (Or if you mess up, at least you have only yourself to blame. It happens: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/oil-filter-o-ring-placement-matters.34840/ )

Besides the inconvenience of going to the dealer, too many of them are putting in 6qts of oil (because that’s what the 3.6L V6 took in the previous generation).

A 5 tire rotation is very easy as it only requires that one wheel be jacked at a time.

Here’s the note I keep on my iPhone to keep things easy:

Oil:
5q 0w20

Oil Filter:
MOPAR MO-349 68191349AB/AC
Mobil 1: M1C-456A

Air Filter:
MOPAR 68257030AA
8mm socket

Cabin Filter:
MOPAR 68301863AA

Tools:
22mm lugs
13mm drain plug
24mm oil filter cap (torqued to 18lbs)

Pull F11 & F97 to reset UConnect
(Edit: this is not a maintenance item, just a “note to self”)

upload_2019-10-15_17-47-37.jpeg

upload_2019-10-15_17-47-8.jpeg

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Love your information, it was well presented and informative. Yes if capable, do it yourself it very easy and with the jeep design, high access height you can just craw under. I won't even have my local dealership change the oil even though I had free oil changes. They are basically inept beyond believe. I'm sure they would put in 6 quarts as well as the wrong weight. The 0W20 is specified for a good reason. These engines are build to a closer tolerance and need the thinner oil for lubrication.

USAFREODRetired

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
It's nice that we have the 4 "FREE" oil changes and tire rotations, but like a lot of others here, NO THANK YOU... I will do it myself. It's not worth the hassle and enormous extra time in waiting for the work to be done and keeping your fingers crossed that they don't screw up something else or put 6 quarts in your engine, etc. My 1st oil change at 1004 miles was incredibly simple and easy. But, I understand for those that are not mechanically inclined or do not have a place to do the work.

Besides, I am using 5-30 weight oil (Amsoil) instead of 0-20 weight for reasons that have already been posted.
It's always a crap-shoot whether my dealer actually does the 5-tire rotation or not. First time I had to go back and have them do-over since it was so obvious. Then they tell me a 5-tire rotation is an "upcharge" from the "Jeep Wave" program. This last time I have zero confidence they really changed the oil, and they never reset the oil monitor onboard. Just get a Fumoto drain valve and do it all yourself. It's like nuking from orbit, the only way to be sure...
Sponsored