kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This issue amuses me, as the JL has a solid front axle and it will always wonder!

The next time that you are at a grocery store, check out the front wheels of your shopping cart.

The vertical shaft above the wheels is not directly above the center of the front wheel, so it will now track in a straight line automatically.

The Jeep can't do this with a solid axles that is attached at the center of the wheel.

Obviously, the larger the tire on your Jeep will increase the amount of steering correction being needed.
Now I understand why my wife calles me stupid. I didn't realize how dumb I was until now, its me not the Jeep. All this time.......
Sponsored

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You make some good points, but at the same time, when people buy a new vehicle they shouldn't have to shell out their own cash to fix things under warranty. My jeep is stock. If I modded it, I would be on my own fixing issues like with my tj and jku, which I loved chasing down the death wobble in my tj btw.

Is really more than people complaining. It's people hunting for answers from others who may have found some. That's part of what is great about these forums is finding others with same issues and learning the fix occasionally.

Just my 2cents
Yeah but this thread has no part of that, just a bunch of complaining, I’ve offered suggestions, answered questions and asked several questions in relation to factors that could contribute. Absolute crickets, no dialogue just complaining!! I agree with you, if this was one of those ask questions and try different things type of thread it would be great, but it’s not. And I hear this a lot, “I shouldn’t have to”, or “we shouldn’t have to”. And to some extent you’re right, you shouldn’t have to!! But in this situation you gotta do what you gotta do. This is my seventh wrangler, CJ5, CJ7,CJ7,TJ,TJ,JK and now the JLUR. So basically every generation except the TJ and they have all driven like absolute crap except the JL. I took the family out in my wife’s grand Cherokee last weekend and her steering is wheel is looser and requires more correction then my JL, our brains make us think problems are worse than they are and even create problems that aren’t really there. My point is this is a problem that jeep dealers cannot address because they don’t think it’s an issue, what’s the resolution?? Complain about it and get nowhere, find a resolution outside of Jeep or deal with it In a nut shell those are the only real options. I installed my first lift that I ended up swapping out for the Mopar lift and I had Jeep install my lift and tires because I didn’t want any hassle for future warranty issues that they could try and blame my lift on. When I got the Jeep back it drove OK but it had issues with axles shifting and Castor not where I thought it should be. I could’ve brought it back to Jeep but I know they wouldn’t be able to figure it out so I took it upon myself and fixed it, now I’m very happy and love my Jeep. I don’t mean to sound harsh because I really am sympathetic with everyone’s issues. But at the end of the day it’s time to put on the big boy pants and take action upon ourselves. There was enough information out there on this steering issue and buyers should have been well aware of these issues before hand. I also think a lot of it is first time jeep ownership and to much is expected from a vehicle that’s nothing more than a civilized Rock crawler.

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Yeah but this thread has no part of that, just a bunch of complaining, I’ve offered suggestions, answered questions and asked several questions in relation to factors that could contribute. Absolute crickets, no dialogue just complaining!! I agree with you, if this was one of those ask questions and try different things type of thread it would be great, but it’s not. And I hear this a lot, “I shouldn’t have to”, or “we shouldn’t have to”. And to some extent you’re right, you shouldn’t have to!! But in this situation you gotta do what you gotta do. This is my seventh wrangler, CJ5, CJ7,CJ7,TJ,TJ,JK and now the JLUR. So basically every generation except the TJ and they have all driven like absolute crap except the JL. I took the family out in my wife’s grand Cherokee last weekend and her steering is wheel is looser and requires more correction then my JL, our brains make us think problems are worse than they are and even create problems that aren’t really there. My point is this is a problem that jeep dealers cannot address because they don’t think it’s an issue, what’s the resolution?? Complain about it and get nowhere, find a resolution outside of Jeep or deal with it In a nut shell those are the only real options. I installed my first lift that I ended up swapping out for the Mopar lift and I had Jeep install my lift and tires because I didn’t want any hassle for future warranty issues that they could try and blame my lift on. When I got the Jeep back it drove OK but it had issues with axles shifting and Castor not where I thought it should be. I could’ve brought it back to Jeep but I know they wouldn’t be able to figure it out so I took it upon myself and fixed it, now I’m very happy and love my Jeep. I don’t mean to sound harsh because I really am sympathetic with everyone’s issues. But at the end of the day it’s time to put on the big boy pants and take action upon ourselves. There was enough information out there on this steering issue and buyers should have been well aware of these issues before hand. I also think a lot of it is first time jeep ownership and to much is expected from a vehicle that’s nothing more than a civilized Rock crawler.
Can't believe you didn't get a TJ! My tj is my favorite , After I solved my DW. I had great luck with my jku. Can't beat the JL with 8spd. Just don't be shocked to see something down the road on this steering system. Aside from DW, I haven't heard so many things about a jeep issue. It's been in and out of the press already too.

I'm glad my issue was relatively minor but I've seen video of some crazy steering issues on some.

There are a couple of more traditional options for steering boxes and I wouldn't be surprised to see more of this keeps up.

Anyway, glad you love your JL, mine is great too overall. Now get a TJ!

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I've found it's best to ignore these post by guys like that.

For some reason they think we're all complaining for no real reason.

They can toss out any technical jargon they want as to why it drives different than a Camry (a or shopping cart?), But that doesn't change the fact that there is a small % of JLs that have broken steering with no fix.[/
Your an ignorant one aren't you??? The guy you just said to ignore owns a JL with steering issues. Maybe if you actually read a post or two you would see that. I guess you should ignore him because he fixed his and knows what he’s talking about.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Can't believe you didn't get a TJ! My tj is my favorite , After I solved my DW. I had great luck with my jku. Can't beat the JL with 8spd. Just don't be shocked to see something down the road on this steering system. Aside from DW, I haven't heard so many things about a jeep issue. It's been in and out of the press already too.

I'm glad my issue was relatively minor but I've seen video of some crazy steering issues on some.

There are a couple of more traditional options for steering boxes and I wouldn't be surprised to see more of this keeps up.

I did have a TJ, never had a YJ. I actually bought my TJ new in 03, one of the first wranglers to have AC, I loved that Jeep. If any issues come up I’ll resolve them with a complete Steer Smart suspension, drag link, tie rod, track bars and Metal Cloak LCA’s all around. If I decide to keep this jeep long-term I’ll end up with a hydraulic steering system or a hydroelectric set up, but for now I have ZEREO issues with the way it drives.

Sponsored

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Can’t afford another Jeep that takes all my money, this one takes enough lol

EA1FEF70-12FC-41C2-AD8D-01502840EF12.jpeg

06A2966B-795C-46B9-8E73-F97ADB4FD43A.jpeg

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

They can toss out any technical jargon they want as to why it drives different than a Camry (a or shopping cart?), But that doesn't change the fact that there is a small % of JLs that have broken steering with no fix.

They can toss out any technical jargon they want as to why it drives different than a Camry (a or shopping cart?), But that doesn't change the fact that there is a small % of JLs that have broken steering with no fix.
You’re an ignorant one aren’t you?? If you actually read a post or two you would see that he had steering issues just like everyone else but his are resolved!! And there is a million and one reasons why a wrangler is different then a Camry but I’m willing to bet your to ignorant to care!!

M0ondogy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You’re an ignorant one aren’t you?? If you actually read a post or two you would see that he had steering issues just like everyone else but his are resolved!! And there is a million and one reasons why a wrangler is different then a Camry but I’m willing to bet your to ignorant to care!!
Your not nice. Why call me ignorant?

It's not my fault I don't follow the 300+ page thread and every poster on it who has steering issues and the new side thread on the same issue.

Even if they are here to help us solve our steering problems, I'm not sure large underlined text telling people about shopping carts is a way of doing that.

Obviously the Camry is nothing like a JL, I brought that up to show how strange the shopping cart reference was.

That was strange right? The whole post was strange. No other way of reading it.

They can try and post again on how they solved their issues. They can use all the technical talk they want. Just don't bold an underline "they are built to wander" because that's what we hear from people on the forum, at dealerships, and from FCA. This problem is not how Jeeps are. They are built wrong, and were tired of it.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

It's not my fault I don't follow the 300+ page thread and every poster on it who has steering issues and the new side thread on the same issue.

Even if they are here to help us solve our steering problems, I'm not sure large underlined text telling people about shopping carts is a way of doing that.

Obviously the Camry is nothing like a JL, I brought that up to show how strange the shopping cart reference was.

They can try and post again on how they solved their issues. They can use all the technical talk they want. Just don't bold an underline "they are built to wander" because that's what we hear from people on the forum, at dealerships, and from FCA. This problem is not how Jeeps are. They are built wrong, and were tired of it.
Have you ever owned a Jeep? Have you ever worked on a Jeep? This is how Jeeps are, period!! Some might drive better, but better is a relative term!! Every single last one of my seven Jeeps have had the same diving characteristics, from my first 1979 CJ5 to my latest 2020 JLUR. You hear this from people that have owned Jeep’s for decades such as myself. And it’s not “technical Jargon” it’s real world facts!! Every time you turn your steering wheel there are 5 separate mechanical linkages that move to turn the wheels, unlike your “Camry” that has two electronically controlled ones. If you’ve never owned or driven a jeep you will not understand. It is as basic a vehicle as you can get, regardless of how much electronics and leather they cover it up with. It’s a steel tub mounted to a boxed frame with two SOLID axels and four wheels, that’s it!!! To make matters worse they have the biggest off-road tires Jeep has ever put on a wrangler. The reason I called you ignorant is because you put down people that know about these things, you sound entitled. A Wrangler will never be what you want it to be, so deal with it or trade it in for a Camry, it’s a free country!! And they are not built wrong, they’re actually built very right, they are purpose built off-road machines. With that said, they are the most capable off road machine on the planet!!

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

I get annoyed at a post like yours with comments like “they are built wrong” and “we are tired of it!!” Have you spent even one minute dialing in your tire pressure or are you waiting for FCA to tell you what it’s supposed to be? Have you checked your alignment, or are you waiting for the dealer to tell you what it’s supposed to be? Have you made an appointment to have every nut, bolt, ball joints and linkages in your front end torque checked?? Or have you just come here and whine about how your Jeep is built wrong and doesn’t drive like a Camry??

Sponsored

M0ondogy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Have you ever owned a Jeep? Have you ever worked on a Jeep? This is how Jeeps are, period!! Some might drive better, but better is a relative term!! Every single last one of my seven Jeeps have had the same diving characteristics, from my first 1979 CJ5 to my latest 2020 JLUR. You hear this from people that have owned Jeep’s for decades such as myself. And it’s not “technical Jargon” it’s real world facts!! Every time you turn your steering wheel there are 5 separate mechanical linkages that move to turn the wheels, unlike your “Camry” that has two electronically controlled ones. If you’ve never owned or driven a jeep you will not understand. It is as basic a vehicle as you can get, regardless of how much electronics and leather they cover it up with. It’s a steel tub mounted to a boxed frame with two SOLID axels and four wheels, that’s it!!! To make matters worse they have the biggest off-road tires Jeep has ever put on a wrangler. The reason I called you ignorant is because you put down people that know about these things, you sound entitled. A Wrangler will never be what you want it to be, so deal with it or trade it in for a Camry, it’s a free country!! And they are not built wrong, they’re actually built very right, they are purpose built off-road machines. With that said, they are the most capable off road machine on the planet!!
Whoa. You are a mean one.

Let me break this down for you.

My jeep has steering problems, and the poll on this thread says that ~half of the 2020s in this thread do too. The other thread has over three thousand post of people trying to fix it.

Are you saying there isn't a problem? If you are, you might be the ignorant one here. It's ignorant to assume your Jeep is fine so all others must be too.

Yes, by the way, I have had other Jeep. I've been fortunate enough to drive 3. This being my fourth. They all drove fine regardless of how much I messed with the mechanics of it.

The problem is that my JL and many others are built wrong and need to be fixed. FCA doesn't have one, and most of the aftermarket solutions are only treating the symptoms and not the problem. I'm not going to get a new steering box, again, I'm not going to fix the toe again, nor will I buy beefer arm.

M0ondogy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I get annoyed at a post like yours with comments like “they are built wrong” and “we are tired of it!!” Have you spent even one minute dialing in your tire pressure or are you waiting for FCA to tell you what it’s supposed to be? Have you checked your alignment, or are you waiting for the dealer to tell you what it’s supposed to be? Have you made an appointment to have every nut, bolt, ball joints and linkages in your front end torque checked?? Or have you just come here and whine about how your Jeep is built wrong and doesn’t drive like a Camry??
Yes. I've done all this. Thanks for your sage wisdom.

You have a working Jeep, I assume. Why are you in this thread? Are you here to gloat or are you here to insult people who don't know how to use tools?

Neither is a good use of your time, bud.

I'm here to get my jeep fixed. Seems reasonable to me. No need to get you underoos in a bunch.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Now I understand why my wife calles me stupid. I didn't realize how dumb I was until now, its me not the Jeep. All this time.......
You installed one of the cheapest lift kits on the market along with non matching valved shocks, lug centric wheels and 35/12.50 Ridge Grapplers and your blaming the Jeep because it’s wandering??? Now I’ve heard it all!! Try getting a quality lift with matching tuned/valved springs and shocks, maybe some adjustable front lower control arms to get the caster and pinion angle correct and spend some time on your tire pressure and I guarantee your JLUR will wander no more!! Also adjustable track bar up front at the very least.

Last edited:

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

You have a working Jeep, I assume. Why are you in this thread? Are you here to gloat or are you here to insult people who don't know how to use tools?

I'm here to get my jeep fixed. Seems reasonable to me. No need to get you underoos in a bunch.
I’ll say it again, if you actually would read a little further back you would see that I had and fixed my steering issues. I love to help guys passionate about their Jeeps fix their issues but this thread is nothing but a bunch of whiners. I’m done!! I’ll be here no more!! And no I never insult anyone who doesn’t know how to use tools, on the contrary, you insulted people that know how to use tools and know how Jeeps are built!!

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

And this is my point, all that I gave you was good advice and you respond with condescending comments!! That’s why I made underoos are in a bunch... that’s a good one btw, I got a chuckle out of that one lol
Sponsored