Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

chadc880

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
JK steering box is hydraulic, JL is electro mechanical.
Would have to do a total retrofit to make it work. There are kits available if you want to drop a few grand to fix jeeps problem.
Incorrect

Both the JK and JL steering boxes are Hydraulic.

The JK uses a metal steering box while the JL is aluminum to reduce weight.

But of course the JK using a manual pulley driven hydraulic pump where as the JL using a electric driven hydraulic pump.

And why PSC states you must use the pulley pump with their steering box ?? I can assure they did plenty of testing and you know they know lots of information that we don't. FCA I can assure you knows everything of why the JL's and Gladiators steer like crap.

I guarantee you its 95% in the steering box for the slop and 5% in the electric pump on the hydraulic response.

NO OTHER FCA VEHICLE HAS SUCH CRAPPY STEERING AS THE JL & GLADIATOR!!!! PERIOD!!!!!

And as I have said it time and time again, They know they screwed up when a brand new JK steering like a dream compared to the brand new JL sitting right next to it.
Sponsored

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
And why PSC states you must use the pulley pump with their steering box ??
My guess is because the electric pump is controlled by the main vehicle ECU and they need their system to work autonomously and not be subject to the system software. A PSC installation video I've seen states that you also need a chipping device to de-activate the power steering control system

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Incorrect

Both the JK and JL steering boxes are Hydraulic.

The JK uses a metal steering box while the JL is aluminum to reduce weight.

But of course the JK using a manual pulley driven hydraulic pump where as the JL using a electric driven hydraulic pump.

And why PSC states you must use the pulley pump with their steering box ?? I can assure they did plenty of testing and you know they know lots of information that we don't. FCA I can assure you knows everything of why the JL's and Gladiators steer like crap.

I guarantee you its 95% in the steering box for the slop and 5% in the electric pump on the hydraulic response.

NO OTHER FCA VEHICLE HAS SUCH CRAPPY STEERING AS THE JL & GLADIATOR!!!! PERIOD!!!!!

And as I have said it time and time again, They know they screwed up when a brand new JK steering like a dream compared to the brand new JL sitting right next to it.
Both the JK and JL steering boxes are metal. The JK is cast iron and the JL is aluminum. Both, cast iron and aluminum, are metals.

I know there have been a number of owners that reported steering boxes with play in them. Jeep acknowledged that and issued revised boxes. But I don't think all of the JL steering/DW issues start and end there. As you stated, maybe some is in the pump. We also know the track bar flexes and the bushings in the track bar are softer than ideal. Additionally, people have found the track bar bolt to be smaller than the bushing and mounting holes. Reports also indicate bolts in the steering system were found to be loose. Reports seem to indicate all can be well initially, then steering issues and DW appear.

If you couple the soft bushings/weak track bar with the loose bolt issue, I think there's enough information to conclude that area is a problem that can either reveal right away or later, if the bolt loosens or parts begin to shift and work.

To me, the steering damper is a red herring. It will mask a problem with other components.

As for the PSC system needing the mechanically driven pump, my guess is that the electric pump may not have the flow rates needed to meet their box's specs.

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The NHTSA are currently investigating weld quality AND steering related concerns.

'ODI has granted the petition and is opening this investigation to further assess the scope, frequency, and potential safety-related consequences of alleged weld quality deficiencies and steering related concerns on the MY 2018-2019 ā€˜JLā€™ Jeep Wrangler vehicles.'

Worth watching this site:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/JEEP/WRANGLER/SUV/4WD%2520Later%2520Release#investigations

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on 'investigations'.

upload_2019-10-17_16-4-55.png

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
The NHTSA are currently investigating weld quality AND steering related concerns.

'ODI has granted the petition and is opening this investigation to further assess the scope, frequency, and potential safety-related consequences of alleged weld quality deficiencies and steering related concerns on the MY 2018-2019 ā€˜JLā€™ Jeep Wrangler vehicles.'

Worth watching this site:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/JEEP/WRANGLER/SUV/4WD%2520Later%2520Release#investigations

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on 'investigations'.

upload_2019-10-17_16-4-55.png
I actually wrote them an email asking them not to confuse welds with a completely separate steering issue. Hope they are not going down the wrong path.

For sure most of the cause on the persistent issue of play is the steering gearbox. Just sucks that the damper and weld issues are also thrown in for extra confusion.

Sponsored

M0ondogy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You realize that the address you found is for a DEALERSHIP???!!

Jeep HQ is in Auburn Hills, MI.
Yea. That made me a little confused for a second. I sent my letter (lemon law process) to

FCA US LLC.
Po Box 21-8004
Auburn Hills, MI 48321

That's the adress they list on their website.
Makes me wonder, if I mailed off to the wrong one.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I actually wrote them an email asking them not to confuse welds with a completely separate steering issue. Hope they are not going down the wrong path.

For sure most of the cause on the persistent issue of play is the steering gearbox. Just sucks that the damper and weld issues are also thrown in for extra confusion.
In my extensive reading of member posts of this forum, I've seen enough evidence and testament that there are other areas of the steering system that have issues contibuting to the wandering and DW. I believe I've read where the owner had the steering box replaced with a later revision box and it did not cure the issue of wandering or DW. I think we should keep an open mind that causes of wandering/DW could be in any assembly between the steering wheel and the front axle as well as the front suspension geometry control components (track bar).

Last edited:

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
Hi all - sorry for the late post as I have been back to the dealership after talking to "Jeep Cares".

As a recap: 2019 JL Rubicon; 1000 miles; steering deadspot; V41 (steering damper)/track bar/drag link/steering box AE all done...tire pressure good and realigned.

The travelling/regional technician took my Jeep for a ride yesterday...he claimed there is nothing left to do until FCA changes or recalls a part. He did acquiesce to my request for an upgraded steering damper (the mopar fox one that has popped up in another thread), but he and I both doubt that will change anything. I just hope to lessen the dead spot. I will not allow my other family members to drive it.

The cold weather has slightly masked the problem until the car warms up, but it is still pronounced at 50mph or greater.

I am tracking the NHTSA website for the recalls and complaints for 2018-2020 JL/JLU/Gladiators. We need to encourage others to sign up and put their VIN in.

I will let you know how the new steering damper works out. But I think we need to go vocal/media with this. I will talk with some friends about getting the news/media/TV outlets to do a story on this and call attention. Even though the news waits until a precipice event (death/accident/etc), I think 60 minutes or Dateline or Sunday Morning or Today will be willing to send an investigator and do the story.

If anything...look at Boeing and the 737-MAX and 767 and 787. This is not the kind of attention any company wants to endure. In the end, I hope company leadership will do the right thing.

Prayers to all as you are out there driving...drive safe friends.

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JlUR 2016 GT350 2017 Laramie
Iā€™ve had my 2019 Wrangler JLUS for a week now and I am having the lane drift issue. It is really bad on the interstate. Iā€™m constantly having to make little adjustments left and right to maintain my lane. I have no mods and have the stock Michelin LTX tires with 36 lbs of pressure. The tires had 42 lbs of pressure when I took delivery!

I hate that this is my first post to this good forum, but I want to be on record as having this issue. The more people speak up about this, the more pressure we put on FCA to respond to this problem with a sense of urgency.
I have a 2020 as of 2 weeks ago, same issue...constantly adjusting it. Much better since deflating to 36(41) but I still have the sense of being disconnected to the road. Hoping the Falcon 2.2 will help improve this, I'll take a 10% improvement. My JK was not like this.

mlangs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Granite Crystal
I have a 2019 JLUR w/ 315 ko2s that wobbled and had very loose steering. It never wandered to the left or right as some have mentioned. I replaced the dampener with a falcon 2.2 early on that removed 90% of the wobble, FCA refunded me for this part as this was prior to the new dampener being released with the recall. 6mos later I lifted the Jeep with the Dynatrac 2 inch lift and that dramatically tightened the steering and made the Jeep track straighter and more planted. Recently I replaced the trackbar with the teraflex trackbar and that removed all of the wobble, the wobble is completely gone! I still have a 1/2 to 1 inch dead spot thatā€™s very annoying, perhaps a steering box replacement will be in my future, weā€™ll see.

Sponsored

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
I still have a 1/2 to 1 inch dead spot thatā€™s very annoying, perhaps a steering box replacement will be in my future, weā€™ll see.

So in other words, still not fixed. Thanks for the word wall to tell us that.

This thread is about loose steering/dead spot.

mlangs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Granite Crystal
So in other words, still not fixed. Thanks for the word wall to tell us that.

This thread is about loose steering/dead spot.
Let me be more clear, the steering ā€œloosenessā€ was dramatically improved with the dynatrac lift, much firmer and much more control, just a dead spot in the middle :(

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

Blonson

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JL WRANGLER
Vehicle Showcase
The problem is that all of these Jeep dealers no longer offer loaners, so I canā€™t really deal with having my car there for weeks at a time. No one wants to take you seriously at the dealer, and as a small business owner, I need my vehicle.

The amount of red tape from Jeep corporate is hilarious. I have literally given bad reviews out the wazoo and will get an email from ā€œpro-active teamā€ which when you call, immediately transfers me to the dealer! What a friggin joke!! I absolutely cringe when I hear people talk about the JL or the Gladiator because these poor people have no idea that one of the most simple functions of the vehicle is terrible. Iā€™ve owned about 19 different vehicles and have dealt with dealers from foreign to domestic and this by far has been the biggest pain in the ass.

For what itā€™s worth, my JKUR was used to do a round trip 400 mile highway journey for years and besides the characteristics of a rolling box, was live able. This thing, is absolutely trash and I still wonā€™t let my wife drive it in fear that she freaks out with the death wobble. In the few times sheā€™s driven it sheā€™s commented how difficult it is to keep on the road - after loving taking my JK whenever she got the chance!

Since no one competent and Jeep seems to care, I will continue to give them bad reviews or caution anyone I know, hear, or see to not touch one with a 10 foot pole.
Were you able to perform a test drive with a shop foreman or tech? Did you get to recreate the problem? If you did what did they say? I did go on a test drive with the shop foreman the second time I brought it to the dealership. However, the roads we went on were newly paved and with the amount of traffic on the road I didn't get to give him a good example of what I deal with on my day to day commute. Didn't help that they "accidentally" booked two test drives at the same hour, so I felt rushed as well. When we got back to the dealership the shop foreman rushed inside, talked to the manager and said there was no issue. Mean while every time I hit a bump in the road I get sent off left or right, which ever way the jeep decides to pick. Can't hold a straight line either. Veers off hard to the left when I'm in the left lane and hard to the right when I'm in the right lane. Absolutely ridiculous I spent money on the POS. I've been going to Pinebelt FCA in NJ.

GhosttheJL

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep jl Wrangler 2dr
So my dealership has seen scratches on the tie rod (from rocks) says it's bent (no visible bend) and says that the steering system is no longer under warranty, but I can pay to have replacement parts put on. Aren't these made to go offroad? Doesn't Jeep encourage this? I feel as if everything that you can possibly do, that Jeep encourages, modifications, trails, offroad, pretty much anything you do get used against you as a tool for them to not stand behind their warranty. I love my Jeep and will be replacing the steering components anyway, but at this point it just doesn't seem like they want anything to do with the steering box. I am not sure what to ultimately do about that as I don't want to spend 3k on an aftermark steering box. The struggle....
Sponsored