Not open for further replies.

Nick p

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Land Rover
@AllJumpStyle do you have any current plans for RHD components like you did for the JK? Would like a rear trackbar bracket to go with your 2” kit I have.
Fingers crossed, we don’t get much love over here on the wrong side of the road ;)
Sponsored

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Did you ever get your rear upper control arms. Curious what your length and alignment came out too. I feel like the uppers are too long at the shortest setting, pinion is super high and coils look like noodles. Straightening it out with the lower control arms makes the length too long and the tires are hitting the body in the fenders
Ok I agree I'd like for the uppers to allow for shorter than 18" adjustment. It would be nice if they started at the factory 17.5"

Synergys instructions that come with the upper arms indicate that they expect us to use a "cv" driveshaft meaning a double cardan style and not the factory rzeppa. I don't know much about rzeppas and my google-fu ain't workin for me. I have read that you don't want the rzeppa pointed directly at the rear output of the transfer case as the joint needs some range of motion to move the grease around to lubricate itself so don't treat it like its a double cardan shaft. Also read that the joints strength is the same throughout its designed range of motion. I've been trying to find what the acceptable rear pinion angle range is for a jl with a factory driveshaft with no luck. To me logically its a true cv joint shaft so it should not matter as long as its within the mechanical limits of the cv joint, boot, and the pinion bearing has sufficient lubrication so rear pinion angle may not matter? If anyone knows please clarify for me.

For reference I'm not using the 2 inch kit so our situations may not be comparable. This is what I have that should be relevant to comparison:

Synergy 2" front 2 door coils (1" 4 door)
Synergy 3" rear 2 door coils (2" 4 door)
Complete set of Synergy adjustable control arms front and rear
Rancho adjustable track bars front and rear
Synergy rear sway bar links and drop brackets
Factory shock brackets
Moved my rear factory sway bar links up front

Here is where I am currently at on arm length:

Uppers are at 18" shortest setting.
Lowers are at 20.5"

Rear tire is centered in the wheel well. I have 4" of clearance between the tire and body seam in the rear. I think this may be too far back(have not flexed it out yet to see clearance at full compression) as the tire will move rearward on compression.
jeep51-jpg.jpg

Also the sway bar link is not perpendicular. I may shorten the lower arms to get the sway bar geometry closer. I'm using the factory lower shock mount and I had to adjust the sway bar links a bit tall to clear the shock bodys at my shocks full droop with the factory arms. That may no longer be the case with the longer rear control arms so I' may shorten them up as well if possible. As far as coil bow it's not bad. May try the recommended 20.25" LCA length.
jeep54-jpg.jpg

Here is where I'm sitting on pinion angle.
jeep53-jpg.jpg

I was also having trouble with coil height but figured out the issue when I put my lower control arms adjusted to 20.5" with the factory uppers still attached. The exaggerated unequal upper and lower control arm length made the rear suspension squat and I lost more rear height. Put the uppers on at 18" and gained more height than I had with all factory arms. The rear coils are now at advertised coil height if you subtract 1.5" for it not being a Rubicon. Synergy front coils seem to run tall. I'm at 4.5" front 4.5" rear suspension lift over my factory setup. I only lost 1/2" going from the 3" front coils to the 2" front coils.

I drove it about 70 miles like this yesterday. No vibes and drives well even better than before now that my caster is at 5.5 Degrees.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Ok I agree I'd like for the uppers to allow for shorter than 18" adjustment. It would be nice if they started at the factory 17.5"

Synergys instructions that come with the upper arms indicate that they expect us to use a "cv" driveshaft meaning a double cardan style and not the factory rzeppa. I don't know much about rzeppas and my google-fu ain't workin for me. I have read that you don't want the rzeppa pointed directly at the rear output of the transfer case as the joint needs some range of motion to move the grease around to lubricate itself so don't treat it like its a double cardan shaft. Also read that the joints strength is the same throughout its designed range of motion. I've been trying to find what the acceptable rear pinion angle range is for a jl with a factory driveshaft with no luck. To me logically its a true cv joint shaft so it should not matter as long as its within the mechanical limits of the cv joint, boot, and the pinion bearing has sufficient lubrication so rear pinion angle may not matter? If anyone knows please clarify for me.

For reference I'm not using the 2 inch kit so our situations may not be comparable. This is what I have that should be relevant to comparison:

Synergy 2" front 2 door coils (1" 4 door)
Synergy 3" rear 2 door coils (2" 4 door)
Complete set of Synergy adjustable control arms front and rear
Rancho adjustable track bars front and rear
Synergy rear sway bar links and drop brackets
Factory shock brackets
Moved my rear factory sway bar links up front

Here is where I am currently at on arm length:

Uppers are at 18" shortest setting.
Lowers are at 20.5"

Rear tire is centered in the wheel well. I have 4" of clearance between the tire and body seam in the rear. I think this may be too far back(have not flexed it out yet to see clearance at full compression) as the tire will move rearward on compression.
jeep51-jpg.jpg

Also the sway bar link is not perpendicular. I may shorten the lower arms to get the sway bar geometry closer. I'm using the factory lower shock mount and I had to adjust the sway bar links a bit tall to clear the shock bodys at my shocks full droop with the factory arms. That may no longer be the case with the longer rear control arms so I' may shorten them up as well if possible. As far as coil bow it's not bad. May try the recommended 20.25" LCA length.
jeep54-jpg.jpg

Here is where I'm sitting on pinion angle.
jeep53-jpg.jpg

I was also having trouble with coil height but figured out the issue when I put my lower control arms adjusted to 20.5" with the factory uppers still attached. The exaggerated unequal upper and lower control arm length made the rear suspension squat and I lost more rear height. Put the uppers on at 18" and gained more height than I had with all factory arms. The rear coils are now at advertised coil height if you subtract 1.5" for it not being a Rubicon. Synergy front coils seem to run tall. I'm at 4.5" front 4.5" rear suspension lift over my factory setup. I only lost 1/2" going from the 3" front coils to the 2" front coils.

I drove it about 70 miles like this yesterday. No vibes and drives well even better than before now that my caster is at 5.5 Degrees.
Had same issues. We ended up having to lengthen the lowers to get the sway links off the axle. They kept banging into it. And also the tire fully rubbed the rear pinch seam to the point it was going to pop the tire, we had to bend it in for clearance. Spring looks like your maybe worse. Im not understanding how they think a cv style driveshaft will cure that, in my opinion running the diff up too high allows it to over-wrap( spin upwards) its self upon hard acceleration. 1-3degrees below driveshaft angle would allow for more upward angle upon acceleration keeping the driveline “inline” while under load. Which in my opinion is ideal.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty much same rear arm lengths too, think we ended up at a little over 21” in the rear lower. When we flexed out the rear was so buried into the now bent over pinch seam and the front Of the wheel has about an 1 1/2 inches of room or more. I wasnt too happy with how the rear turned out as opposed to my metalclok arms.

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Had same issues. We ended up having to lengthen the lowers to get the sway links off the axle. They kept banging into it. And also the tire fully rubbed the rear pinch seam to the point it was going to pop the tire, we had to bend it in for clearance. Spring looks like your maybe worse. Im not understanding how they think a cv style driveshaft will cure that, in my opinion running the diff up too high allows it to over-wrap( spin upwards) its self upon hard acceleration. 1-3degrees below driveshaft angle would allow for more upward angle upon acceleration keeping the driveline “inline” while under load. Which in my opinion is ideal.
The double cardan shaft is not to fix coil bucket position/spring bow (you need coil wedges or correction pads for that). It's for running longer shocks and more droop/higher angles than the factory rzeppa driveshaft can handle. My rear shocks are 30.5" extended and the boots on the rzeppas are pretty close 1/8" maybe just eyeballing it to touching metal at full droop. This stuff was designed for a JK and as I understand it the rzeppas on the JK have a lower operating angle than the JL.

I'm not following you on the axle wrap with a link suspension? You talking about anti-squat?I know next to nothing about suspension geometry.

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
The double cardan shaft is not to fix coil bucket position/spring bow (you need coil wedges or correction pads for that). It's for running longer shocks and more droop/higher angles than the factory rzeppa driveshaft can handle. My rear shocks are 30.5" extended and the boots on the rzeppas are pretty close 1/8" maybe just eyeballing it to touching metal at full droop. This stuff was designed for a JK and as I understand it the rzeppas on the JK have a lower operating angle than the JL.

I'm not following you on the axle wrap with a link suspension? You talking about anti-squat?I know next to nothing about suspension geometry.
Makes sense for the drive shaft for the shocks. I was figuring a higher pinion angle on the rear would cause wear problems with regular driving with the torque of the engine to shaft causing the rotation to make the axle try to spin. But maybe not the case for links only leafs. Rock krawler calls for 2-3 degree difference of pinion to driveshaft with pinion being lower. Figured thats why

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Makes sense for the drive shaft for the shocks. I was figuring a higher pinion angle on the rear would cause wear problems with regular driving with the torque of the engine to shaft causing the rotation to make the axle try to spin. But maybe not the case for links only leafs. Rock krawler calls for 2-3 degree difference of pinion to driveshaft with pinion being lower. Figured thats why
Rock Krawler suggests different pinion angles based on lift height.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
My issue with this is that no matter which way the control arms got adjusted something was always not right. Your springs look fine, but your sway bar link is going to hit the axle upon compression. As you rotate the axle to move them away you are going to have to lengthen your lowers which will push your pinion down even further and causing your wheels be set even further back hitting the pinch seam. You dont have 37s i dont think so you would probably be fine doing this. Just my take on it, but I think the rear uppers are too long to get it set up properly. Id like to see synergys rig back springs bow and sway links and pinion angle. Adjust one way, sway links bottom out on axle, adjust the other way pinion is too high and springs look like they are going to shoot out the back and losing height because they are so bent lol. Your rig looks good though so im glad yours isnt having the issues and is riding fine.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
My issue with this is that no matter which way the control arms got adjusted something was always not right. Your springs look fine, but your sway bar link is going to hit the axle upon compression. As you rotate the axle to move them away you are going to have to lengthen your lowers which will push your pinion down even further and causing your wheels be set even further back hitting the pinch seam. You dont have 37s i dont think so you would probably be fine doing this. Just my take on it, but I think the rear uppers are too long to get it set up properly. Id like to see synergys rig back springs bow and sway links and pinion angle. Adjust one way, sway links bottom out on axle, adjust the other way pinion is too high and springs look like they are going to shoot out the back and losing height because they are so bent lol. Your rig looks good though so im glad yours isnt having the issues and is riding fine.
You should not be rotating your axle to make parts clear each other. That's not what adjustable control arms are for. If parts are hitting it sounds like something wasn't designed very well.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
You should not be rotating your axle to make parts clear each other. That's not what adjustable control arms are for. If parts are hitting it sounds like something wasn't designed very well.
Yeah i know, thats why id like to see synergys rig. Mine looks perfect with my metalcloak arms. But my cousins with the synergys we could not get right. Had to take a hammer to his rig on the trail cuz the tires were getting cut by the pinch seam. And before we got to the trails we had to adjust the lowers longer because the sway links slammed into the axle hitting a drainage channel. Could run longer bumpstops i suppose but thats just hiding the problem in my opinion. Even with rk correction wedges in the rear, which helped, the passenger rear spring looks like an S and the driver like a C. If I had pictures id show, but hes out of town. You look at it and it doesnt look right. And its been aligned so spec wise its fine.

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
That being said though i do like synergys arms and how easy they are to adjust. And they are beefy

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
@SpookyXJ by the way how do you like those tires? Thinking about getting a set next

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
@SpookyXJ by the way how do you like those tires? Thinking about getting a set next
Only have a little over 300 miles on them and they are pretty good so far. They are quiet for mud terrains I'd say about average noise for an AT. Wet traction on highway is really good for MT's. Ride is kinda weird they feel smooth around town below 60 mph a lot like AT's I have run in the past. At freeway speeds they feel like your typical mt then above 80 and on up to 90 they are smooth as glass. I Might still have a less pronounced balance issue on one of the other tires. I swapped out for my spare as my right front was definitely out of balance. Still need to go get that one rebalanced and think I'll get the rest checked when I do.

I have not had a chance to try them off road yet.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Only have a little over 300 miles on them and they are pretty good so far. They are quiet for mud terrains I'd say about average noise for an AT. Wet traction on highway is really good for MT's. Ride is kinda weird they feel smooth around town below 60 mph a lot like AT's I have run in the past. At freeway speeds they feel like your typical mt then above 80 and on up to 90 they are smooth as glass. I Might still have a less pronounced balance issue on one of the other tires. I swapped out for my spare as my right front was definitely out of balance. Still need to go get that one rebalanced and think I'll get the rest checked when I do.

I have not had a chance to try them off road yet.
Cool good to know, thanks man

Status
Not open for further replies.