_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Hey guys,

So i rent my Jeep on car sharing apps like Turo and getaround. Recently a guy rented it on getaround and fled to mexico.

Already filed a police report and claim with Getaround but cant help but wonder if I can remotely shut it down. I have the 8.4" Uconnect system with SiriusXM Guardian. Is there any way to have the authorities use the tracking system to remotely shut it off and retrieve the vehicle? According to the tracker, Its currently about 20 miles from west of Phoenix.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Updated with photo, last location and license plate:

stolenJL.jpg

cbc297a5-7fce-4f55-ac7c-6b755e5159bd-jpeg.jpg

8a719add-6b1b-4e3d-a98d-44f362acdd2d-png.png

232d2c6b-7b5b-432f-8dbb-92a17edd67d5-png.png
That shows your Jeep is still in the US. It is north of the US 8 which I drive every time I go from Tucson, AZ to California. Is that the last location on the map or its current position? Can it be tracked in Mexico using GPS? I would probably not honk the horn and lights. They may part it out immediately. Good luck and hope it resolves in the best possible way.
Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Nothing out here man. Makes me wonder if it never came back from Mexico, like dismantling the systems made it start spoofing locations? Or maybe they are master hackers. Or maybe it got driven out just before I arrived. Or its here and I’m blind. OP, honk the horn again ;)

F99B9069-5C37-46E0-8BF6-941A6616E893.jpeg
Great job GRAK. Any update?

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Ive owned several rental properties and no, it is not a good investment strategy in today’s society.

Only good for tax shelters and even then recapture taxes will take its toll in the end.
I own one and my dad has a few rental
properties. For us it’s working out great. I understand that’s not always the case though.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
properties. For us it’s working out great. I understand that’s not always the case though.
Im glad to hear that! Very exhausting at times when you own several. I’m selling my last one on Nov 1st closing! So happy!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
You are in LA, real state here is good business, specially if you bought before 2016 or so?. Wife and I are currently looking to buy a house and it is a huge PITA.

Sponsored

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
You are in LA, real state here is good business, specially if you bought before 2016 or so?. Wife and I are currently looking to buy a house and it is a huge PITA.
I know someone renting out her house in Monterey Park of all places. It’s booked every single day. We’re all surprised how well she is doing. It’s close enough to LA to attract tourists, she offers a cold breakfast and she dropped the rental price a bit since it’s outside of LA. She rents it out by the room with full house privileges, it’s a money maker. I wish you the best of luck in finding your perfect home! Nice to meet locals around here.

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
GPS works on cellular networks udp/SMS to relay and backhaul data to the user. Its likely that the last location was where it still had cellular connection, or the disconnected the gps.

Someone mentioned activating it on a Mexican telco network. It could possibly be done, but the provider of the gps service would have to confirm. It depends on what technology they are using.

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Also, if you have the wifi setup do not cancel it. They will likely take advantage of it as a feature. With guardian or jeep you may be able to track it down through mac address and ip hits.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Been reading a lot about mobile gps jammers, spoofing apps, also asked a Silicon Valley tech friend familiar with these things; basically, it’s not hard at all to spoof fake gps. @Jimmy_jak is right. Jeeps long gone

I probably won’t renew XMGuardian since the car tracking was the most appealing feature and it’s so easily defeated. There’s no way they aren't aware.. its a scandal

https://jammers.store/gps-jammer-with-car-obd-interface-p-281.html

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/running-a-tesla-model-3-on-autopilot-off-the-road-with-gps-spoofing/

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/20...ht-hijacked-by-students-spoofing-gps-signals/

http://fakegps.com/

Sponsored

OP
OP
SoCalWrangler

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Engineer/ Real Estate Agent
Vehicle Showcase
Just as an update for everyone. Insurance is still in process for this. Getaround is providing me with one month of lost rental income for the jeep. Once the estimate comes out for the vehicle payout. I will update you all soon.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
That’s pretty generous that they’re giving you “loss of income”.
I’m curious if you’ll be responsible for your deductible as you would through a normal insurance claim.