First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I heard of a lot of people having this issue a while back, but it hasn't really been brought up since. Just curious if anyone ever found a solution to the USB ports (specifically for me USB2) not recognizing devices after the Jeep has been off for about 10 or 15 minutes. If the Jeep is off longer than that, I have to unplug and re-plug my iPod and can't browse any music for 5 to 10 minutes while the system relearns the iPod. I've had the Jeep since May, so I'm guessing I've had to unplug and re-plug the iPod into the USB port about 10,000 times, which I'm sure is wearing out the port. Anyone know of a solution for this?

Before the Jeep I had a 2015 Hellcat Charger with an earlier Uconnect system and it recognized the ipod in the center console everytime on startup.
Sponsored

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
I've got the same issue, all other USB ports work fine, but #2 fails after a few minutes. For one day it did work for me, and I thought that maybe an Apple OS update had fixed it, but no the next day I didn't even get to the end of the street before it failed.

Going in for v41 recall, and oil change tomorrow. If I remember, I will ask them about it (USB2).

OP
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I've got the same issue, all other USB ports work fine, but #2 fails after a few minutes. For one day it did work for me, and I thought that maybe an Apple OS update had fixed it, but no the next day I didn't even get to the end of the street before it failed.

Going in for v41 recall, and oil change tomorrow. If I remember, I will ask them about it (USB2).

Cool, let me know what they say.

EDIT: And btw, I have the same problem on every USB port, which I'm pretty sure makes it a software issue.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I am in agreement that this is a software issue. Both of my USB ports work great with CarPlay with my 7” uconnect. This effectively validates the USB hardware connections. With the 8.4” uconnect, usb2 never works with CarPlay. Usb1 eventually fails to work with CarPlay. Back to the 7” unit, all is fine. I cannot find a difference between the USB infrastructure that ships with the 7” unit from the 8.4” unit, so I assume it is the same. The difference is the software.

OP
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I am in agreement that this is a software issue. Both of my USB ports work great with CarPlay with my 7” uconnect. This effectively validates the USB hardware connections. With the 8.4” uconnect, usb2 never works with CarPlay. Usb1 eventually fails to work with CarPlay. Back to the 7” unit, all is fine. I cannot find a difference between the USB infrastructure that ships with the 7” unit from the 8.4” unit, so I assume it is the same. The difference is the software.
Yea, I check for a Uconnect update almost everyday.

Sponsored

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Yea, I check for a Uconnect update almost everyday.
FCA doesn't seem to update it often. I am not impressed by FCAs software engineering capabilities, nor Panasonics. Panasonic is the MFG of the unit in my Jeep. On top of the non support of the unit for folks that added it after purchase, as there is no easy way to get the firmware updates for this thing. Crap support all the way around. Making USB work is not difficult!

OP
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
FCA doesn't seem to update it often. I am not impressed by FCAs software engineering capabilities, nor Panasonics. Panasonic is the MFG of the unit in my Jeep. On top of the non support of the unit for folks that added it after purchase, as there is no easy way to get the firmware updates for this thing. Crap support all the way around. Making USB work is not difficult!

So I just got off the phone with the Jeep/Uconnect people to see if there was an update coming down the pipeline. The girl told me she can't confirm but that there should be an update coming in November. She also told me to try a soft reboot of the Uconnect system by pressing and holding the Browse/Enter and Power/Mute buttons (the 2 big circle buttons on both ends) for approximately five seconds with the vehicle running until the screen resets, and then turned the car off/open the door. I'm actually scared to try this because I've heard of much more significant problems than what I'm experiencing and don't want to inadvertently cause more issues by trying a soft reboot.

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Cool, let me know what they say.

EDIT: And btw, I have the same problem on every USB port, which I'm pretty sure makes it a software issue.
OK, so I went the to dealership today, the tech plugged in his phone, and couldn't get it to drop. I plugged in my phone, I couldn't get it to drop.
I then drove home, for an hour, stopping on the way. Using Maps, and music all the time, and it performed flawlessly. The only hiccup that I had was as I pulled into my drive, it dropped and then reconnected, maybe it picked up my wifi?

Of course, it wasn't going to fail when I took it into the shop!

Everything is up to date on the Jeep, nothing was installed according to the notes from that I received. I am running iOS13.1.2.

i have no idea what has changed, but I will test it out and see how it goes :like:

Also, got he v41 recall done, and I do think that my steering is tighter :clap:

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
OK, so I went the to dealership today, the tech plugged in his phone, and couldn't get it to drop. I plugged in my phone, I couldn't get it to drop.
I then drove home, for an hour, stopping on the way. Using Maps, and music all the time, and it performed flawlessly. The only hiccup that I had was as I pulled into my drive, it dropped and then reconnected, maybe it picked up my wifi?

Of course, it wasn't going to fail when I took it into the shop!

Everything is up to date on the Jeep, nothing was installed according to the notes from that I received. I am running iOS13.1.2.

i have no idea what has changed, but I will test it out and see how it goes :like:

Also, got he v41 recall done, and I do think that my steering is tighter :clap:

You may even have 6 quarts of oil.

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
You may even have 6 quarts of oil.
I got my first oil change this past Friday and checked this after they were done. What a level of asininty FCA has reached that we have to check and make sure they didn’t put too much oil in the Jeep.

AlanD

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nacho Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
For what it's worth I have a ONE+6 cell phone if it is plugged in to USB 2 jack on dash the device in center console is not seen. The phone has the newer USB c jack. If I use USB c dash to USB c phone then It charges and I can play music from USB drive plugged into center storage console. Unfortunately I have only the 5 inch display. If somebody sends me a 7 I can update results ;^)

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Of course, today after working on the way into work, on the way home, communication failed between my iPhone and USB2 (in the center console), and only after I had stopped the car, and restarted was I able to get the connection to restart, only to have it fail again!

Back to using the port in the back of the center console, I knew that it was too good to be true!
Sponsored