Sponsored

Thrumming Noise at Highway Speeds (63-67ish)

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
Took a ride with the service manager yesterday. We both noticed it. As I've mentioned before they replaced the DS and Axle. This likely means that the culprit is the trans or transfer case. During the test drive I was in the passenger seat. He asked if it was only upon speed up to 63mph. We were on the expressway and as he slowed to 63mph I said there's you answer. While driving it he pointed out that it seemed to happen when it was in 8th gear. They keep the Jeep to have a look. At least now they are checking something different.
Awesome! Thanks for leading the charge on this, sounds like you have a great service center. My gut is telling me it’s the transfer case based off the trouble shooting I’ve done and that you’ve had done.
Sponsored

frizille

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR, 2006 Lotus Elise, 2008 Lotus Exige, 1957 Caterham Super Seven
Awesome! Thanks for leading the charge on this, sounds like you have a great service center. My gut is telling me it’s the transfer case based off the trouble shooting I’ve done and that you’ve had done.
You may be right with the transfer case. My JLUR (2019, 7k miles) is at the dealer now for the same issue and they just called to let me know they're replacing the transfer case. Will report back whenever I get it back, maybe mid-next week.

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
You may be right with the transfer case. My JLUR (2019, 7k miles) is at the dealer now for the same issue and they just called to let me know they're replacing the transfer case. Will report back whenever I get it back, maybe mid-next week.
Awesome! Cant wait to hear if that fixes the issue. Thanks

greenerobnmu

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Awesome! Cant wait to hear if that fixes the issue. Thanks
Well my friend it did nothing. I left it there over night and they called the next day saying that they got in touch with Star and they told them to drive a similar spec'd Jeep. They found that the other Jeep had a very similar vibration/noise at close to the same speeds. I picked it up defeated. I had been waiting for this to be resolved so that I could install my new wheels/tires. I did this 2 days later.

VIBRATION GONE!!!
Not that it makes any difference, but my new setup is 17x8.5 Dirty Life Ironman with 315/70/17 C KO2s.

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
Well my friend it did nothing. I left it there over night and they called the next day saying that they got in touch with Star and they told them to drive a similar spec'd Jeep. They found that the other Jeep had a very similar vibration/noise at close to the same speeds. I picked it up defeated. I had been waiting for this to be resolved so that I could install my new wheels/tires. I did this 2 days later.

VIBRATION GONE!!!
Not that it makes any difference, but my new setup is 17x8.5 Dirty Life Ironman with 315/70/17 C KO2s.
So they did nothing and the thrumming is normal for all JL’s? That is pretty sad that they dismiss it as normal. Are you saying new wheels and bigger KO2’s fixed your thrumming/vibration at 63 mph?

Sponsored

greenerobnmu

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
So they did nothing and the thrumming is normal for all JL’s? That is pretty sad that they dismiss it as normal. Are you saying new wheels and bigger KO2’s fixed your thrumming/vibration at 63 mph?
I suppose the dealer could have tried to balance the tires although I never felt like they were an issue. It is really a Jeep issue. They seem to be very quick to say things that no other vehicles experience are normal.
Yes, the vibration is 100% gone.

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
I suppose the dealer could have tried to balance the tires although I never felt like they were an issue. It is really a Jeep issue. They seem to be very quick to say things that no other vehicles experience are normal.
Yes, the vibration is 100% gone.
Did you have the thrumming noise AND the vibration?

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon

VIBRATION GONE!!!
I sincerely hope it's gone for you, but it raises some questions. Others have reported that the dealer had tried tires from another wrangler and the issue was still present.
I have also tried wheels/tires from a 2014 Sahara and it was less severe but still present.

But hey, any progress is still that, progress!

frizille

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quick update on mine. The transfer case replacement is on backorder, part number 68240441AC. It's not due to the dealer until the week of 10/28 (ughhh... they've had it since the 10th). FCA did offer to refund me a car payment though so not a total cluster.

Regarding the wheels / tires replacement, when I had my aftermarket wheels on (Pro Comp 41 w/ 35x12.5 KO2s), the vibration and noise wasn't noticeable on mine either. When I put the stock wheels / tires on it immediately returned. I think the extra rubber / weight on the axles from aftermarket wheels / larger tires dampens the noise and vibration but doesn't actually fix the root cause... unless the problem really is a bad batch of stock rims/tires.

Another possibility is that after market wheels generally require hub rings. The plastic hub rings may dampen the vibration as well vs the hub-centric stock steel wheels.

Anyway, I'll update again once I get the Jeep back. I'm getting married 11/2 then leaving for a week on honeymoon. If the Jeep's not ready by 10/31, then it's not getting picked up until 11/10.

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
Quick update on mine. The transfer case replacement is on backorder, part number 68240441AC. It's not due to the dealer until the week of 10/28 (ughhh... they've had it since the 10th). FCA did offer to refund me a car payment though so not a total cluster.

Regarding the wheels / tires replacement, when I had my aftermarket wheels on (Pro Comp 41 w/ 35x12.5 KO2s), the vibration and noise wasn't noticeable on mine either. When I put the stock wheels / tires on it immediately returned. I think the extra rubber / weight on the axles from aftermarket wheels / larger tires dampens the noise and vibration but doesn't actually fix the root cause... unless the problem really is a bad batch of stock rims/tires.

Another possibility is that after market wheels generally require hub rings. The plastic hub rings may dampen the vibration as well vs the hub-centric stock steel wheels.

Anyway, I'll update again once I get the Jeep back. I'm getting married 11/2 then leaving for a week on honeymoon. If the Jeep's not ready by 10/31, then it's not getting picked up until 11/10.
Thanks for the update, and have a great wedding & honeymoon.

Sponsored

Alpha Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
2020 Rubicon with the exact same issue. Taking it in this Tuesday. Several threads on this and the one common denominator is that Rubicons experience this.

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
2020 Rubicon with the exact same issue. Taking it in this Tuesday. Several threads on this and the one common denominator is that Rubicons experience this.
Yep, apparently Gladiator Rubicons too. I was looking at their Issues thread and many of them have the same thrumming noise and vibration.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I recall this before lifting and 38" Pats. I think it's gone now....

As much as I hate to say it, I chocked it up to harmonics.

Everyone gets pissed in the steering threads when they're told "it's just how a Jeep drives" and rightfully so.

But every vehicle experiences harmonics and is not immune to the laws of physics.

IME these noises - assuming 2wd on the highway and true part time t-case - are almost always rear d/s or pinion angle.

Now I know the rzeppa joint is supposed to be fairly indifferent to angle, but that doesn't mean there won't be some point where it makes noises or minor vibes.

Everything can vibrate at just the right or wrong frequency, like an opera singer and a champagne glass.

I'd be REALLY curious to know if the noise would go away with an aftermarket CV (double cardan) d/s and corrected pinion angle. Also the weird ass plastic tube around these shafts might be doing something - I was once told if you really want to fawk with someone tie a whistle to their d/s and it'll make noise at speed (granted sounds more like an urban legend and I've never tried it LOL)

As for aftermarket wheels and tires curing it, if they're LARGER and you have NOT re-geared then your d/s is spinning more slowly at the same speed(s).

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
I recall this before lifting and 38" Pats. I think it's gone now....

As much as I hate to say it, I chocked it up to harmonics.

Everyone gets pissed in the steering threads when they're told "it's just how a Jeep drives" and rightfully so.

But every vehicle experiences harmonics and is not immune to the laws of physics.

IME these noises - assuming 2wd on the highway and true part time t-case - are almost always rear d/s or pinion angle.

Now I know the rzeppa joint is supposed to be fairly indifferent to angle, but that doesn't mean there won't be some point where it makes noises or minor vibes.

Everything can vibrate at just the right or wrong frequency, like an opera singer and a champagne glass.

I'd be REALLY curious to know if the noise would go away with an aftermarket CV (double cardan) d/s and corrected pinion angle. Also the weird ass plastic tube around these shafts might be doing something - I was once told if you really want to fawk with someone tie a whistle to their d/s and it'll make noise at speed (granted sounds more like an urban legend and I've never tried it LOL)

As for aftermarket wheels and tires curing it, if they're LARGER and you have NOT re-geared then your d/s is spinning more slowly at the same speed(s).
I pulled my rear driveshaft completely off and it still made this thrumming noise, I don’t get much of a vibration so harmonics is what I assume.

frizille

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got an update from the dealer late yesterday. The transfer case was replaced and it reduced the vibration and thrumming noise, but did not solve the issue entirely. They're keeping the car for further troubleshooting.
Sponsored