Sponsored

Anybody else's JLs doors do this?

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Is there a way to just remove the checks completely and have it operate like the doors on the JK with the strap only? I kind of like it on the JK as it adds a uniqueness to the vehicle that other cars don't have. It also makes door removal a lot quicker.
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Is there a way to just remove the checks completely and have it operate like the doors on the JK with the strap only? I kind of like it on the JK as it adds a uniqueness to the vehicle that other cars don't have. It also makes door removal a lot quicker.
Yes. Just push the door checks into the door.

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My door is also making this popping/clicking sound as well. I’ve taken it to the dealer and they replaced the door check, but the noise hasn’t stopped. The next step they recommended was to replace the sheet metal where the door check connects, but I feel like this may be a little extreme to stop the sound...

Anyone have any ideas as to alternate options before taking that step? I’m just worried that they’ll end up doing more harm than good.
I just encountered this same issue. I’ll also say I’ve encountered this without having even taken the doors off yet!

Did you end up finding a fix. I’ve heard some guys say they replaced the door check like you did....but seems didn’t help your case. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks!

PastoreJesse

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I just encountered this same issue. I’ll also say I’ve encountered this without having even taken the doors off yet!

Did you end up finding a fix. I’ve heard some guys say they replaced the door check like you did....but seems didn’t help your case. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks!
I never was able to get the issue resolved, and instead opted to just push the door checks into the door and be done with them! But if it helps, take a look at this thread. Seems that some people have gotten it resolved, but it was no easy fix, and involved replacing the entire door...

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/creaking-doors-anyone.27405/

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I never was able to get the issue resolved, and instead opted to just push the door checks into the door and be done with them! But if it helps, take a look at this thread. Seems that some people have gotten it resolved, but it was no easy fix, and involved replacing the entire door...

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/creaking-doors-anyone.27405/
Yea I’ve been doing some “research” you could say lol...

I’m definitely not about to replace my whole door over some clicking sound. But I’ll be honest 1. I don’t think replacing the door is the solution, as for starters surely the same thing would eventually happen to that door. 2. With all the threads I’ve been reading many many have had this issue occur, and some have resolved it with grease others have just had the door check replaced which have fixed the issue...to even one guy posting that in the thread that he had this same issue...to them a while later posting that out of nowhere it stopped doing it. And of course there are others who tried those first 2 options I mentioned and it didn’t resolve it.

I’ve seen a YouTuber actually fully take his door check out (this assume he didn’t know that it could just be pushed into the cavity of the door) but nonetheless he opened the door panel unscrewed those 2 bolts where the door check is in the door and took it out, No glue or anything as some have stated is what’s come loose.(I’m just not buying that theory as that mechanism from my understanding isn’t even glued to the aluminum doors. (Of course I could be wrong on this m, but that same youtuber has reinstalled his door checks and clearly didn’t glue anything back to the door)

Sorry for my long response, I’m just trying to spread some knowledge and hopefully between myself and other posters get to the real bottom of this clicking phenomenon you could say lol.

Thanks for your response tho man, appreciate you sharing what measure you took

Last edited:

Sponsored

OrangeRuby

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JL)
Search for the post “creaking doors”. Mine had this and the FCA field engineer said the doors had to be replaced. The supports inside are glued in and they separate. The only permanent fix is door replacement. Which means new painted doors. When they did this in mine they said that the paint had faded and they could get it blended correctly. It was a nightmare.

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Yea I’ve been doing some “research” you could say lol...

I’m definitely not about to replace my whole door over some clicking sound. But I’ll be honest 1. I don’t think replacing the door is the solution, as for starters surely the same thing would eventually happen to that door. 2. With all the threads I’ve been reading many many have had this issue occur, and some have resolved it with grease others have just had the door check replaced which have fixed the issue...to even one guy posting that in the thread that he had this same issue...to them a while later posting that out of nowhere it stopped doing it. And of course there are others who tried those first 2 options I mentioned and it didn’t resolve it.

I’ve seen a YouTuber actually fully take his door check out (this assume he didn’t know that it could just be pushed into the cavity of the door) but nonetheless he opened the door panel unscrewed those 2 bolts where the door check is in the door and took it out, No glue or anything as some have stated is what’s come loose.(I’m just not buying that theory as that mechanism from my understanding isn’t even glued to the aluminum doors. (Of course I could be wrong on this m, but that same youtuber has reinstalled his door checks and clearly didn’t glue anything back to the door)

Sorry for my long response, I’m just trying to spread some knowledge and hopefully between myself and other posters get to the real bottom of this clicking phenomenon you could say lol.

Thanks for your response tho man, appreciate you sharing what measure you took
My understanding is the JL door is a glued together almagamation of steel frame and alum skin, this is what the door check mounts to and there is flex between the parts that breaks the glue bond. If this is happening at year 1 or less (6 months for me) how are these going to be doing at year 10? Falling apart, not to mention a potential safety fault if the door structure is compromised. Sounds like a TSB that will turn into a widespread recall as it becomes apparent to more owners.

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My understanding is the JL door is a glued together almagamation of steel frame and alum skin, this is what the door check mounts to and there is flex between the parts that breaks the glue bond. If this is happening at year 1 or less (6 months for me) how are these going to be doing at year 10? Falling apart, not to mention a potential safety fault if the door structure is compromised. Sounds like a TSB that will turn into a widespread recall as it becomes apparent to more owners.
Yea I’m 4 months in and have now encountered this as you know. I’ve tried the white lithium grease today....hasn’t stopped the click!!! Like I said though I’m definitely not about going as far as replacing the door (one poster on here went that route and he shares his ordeal....wasn’t pretty, they ended up painting half his Jeep to match the doors. Also as I mentioned in the post above why would that door assembly be any different, surely it will happen again.

Side note: while doing “research” I’ve come across many thread of other cars,trucks,suvs that have all encountered this for years, the exact same clicking sound!! And 90+% of the time it’s the 2 bolts (top and bottom of each other) that connect the door check to door that are loose and all it needed was to be tightened. Us Jeepers are having the same sound without such a simple fix.....well some anyway like you and myself, where others have put grease to just replacing the door check and it resolving the issue.

My only confusion here than to what you have said (thanks for the input btw) is as that youtuber I mentioned had fully removed his door check and later reinstalled it when he learned he could leave it there and just have it retract into the cavity of the door (as it’s designed to do if one wishes not to use them) would this not affect the part in which you mentioned is glued?

Any feed back would be welcomed.

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Yea I’m 4 months in and have now encountered this as you know. I’ve tried the white lithium grease today....hasn’t stopped the click!!! Like I said though I’m definitely not about going as far as replacing the door (one poster on here went that route and he shares his ordeal....wasn’t pretty, they ended up painting half his Jeep to match the doors. Also as I mentioned in the post above why would that door assembly be any different, surely it will happen again.

Side note: while doing “research” I’ve come across many thread of other cars,trucks,suvs that have all encountered this for years, the exact same clicking sound!! And 90+% of the time it’s the 2 bolts (top and bottom of each other) that connect the door check to door that are loose and all it needed was to be tightened. Us Jeepers are having the same sound without such a simple fix.....well some anyway like you and myself, where others have put grease to just replacing the door check and it resolving the issue.

My only confusion here than to what you have said (thanks for the input btw) is as that youtuber I mentioned had fully removed his door check and later reinstalled it when he learned he could leave it there and just have it retract into the cavity of the door (as it’s designed to do if one wishes not to use them) would this not affect the part in which you mentioned is glued?

Any feed back would be welcomed.
By unhooking the door check you are taking away the forces applied to the inner door frame. I like the door checks, little things like that is why I bought a JL and not another JK.

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Right, but my question was more of if you fully remove it and than put it back as I mentioned the youtuber had...wouldn’t that cause this type of adhesive/glued separation. I’m using him as an example as even though he fully took apart his door to remove his and than later reinstall, he does NOT have this clicking noise what so ever.

I’m just trying to gather as much info as possible. As you mentioned, there has to be some type of recall on this as this is not acceptable. I can live with the clicking...but why should any of us have too especially so early on. And being told to replace your door and having the dealer have to paint half the Jeep to match the new door on a NEW Jeep as being the “fix” there just has to be a better way ( sorry to sound like that infomercial)

Sponsored

outlanderbz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Great, was hoping it wouldn't involve all of this. I took my Jeep in for oil change plus other issues and mentioned this. The applied grease and said it was fixed. It wasn't. Now to decide if it is even worth pursuing more. I think replacing the door stop is worth a shot but I am not going to get an entire door replaced for it.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Great, was hoping it wouldn't involve all of this. I took my Jeep in for oil change plus other issues and mentioned this. The applied grease and said it was fixed. It wasn't. Now to decide if it is even worth pursuing more. I think replacing the door stop is worth a shot but I am not going to get an entire door replaced for it.
I replaced my check myself and it did nothing!! 1500 miles on my 2020 JLUR and it’s driving me nuts. The only time it subsides is after a car wash for a few hours then comes back. Leads me to believe it’s the plastic film between the door hinges and the body causing the sound.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I bet most people don’t even notice it, only guys like us hear crap like this, it’s a curse that I’m so damn ocd!!!
Sponsored