Sponsored

How does everyone mount their cell phones?

dstep

First Name
Dmitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I've decided to Open Source this Air Vent Clamp Mount design - meaning that all CAD files and documentation will be available to anyone who requests them free of charge. I am still working on cleaning up the assembly and creating the docs s.t. anyone can understand how it is built.

Anyone can make improvements and changes (for instance, I used Metric thread since the Jeep is all metric). My only ask is that anyone who distributes an improved version releases the changes as well.

P.S. I am happy to make a few as well. At the moment I don't really know how to keep the prices low. But I am sure there are experts here who can help.

@HoundDude I am waiting for a 2nd item to come back from anodizing - it will be black. Happy to send it to you for after I take it for a spin.
Sponsored

Last edited:

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
@HoundDude I am waiting for a 2nd item to come back from anodizing - it will be black. Happy to send it to you for after I take it for a spin.
I actually made a phone holder that I'm really happy with (post #151), but I do think you deserve a gold star for designing the most innovative and sleek solution. if you could figure out how to mass produce these i think you would clean house.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I've decided to Open Source this Air Vent Clamp Mount design - meaning that all CAD files and documentation will be available to anyone who requests them free of charge. I am still working on cleaning up the assembly and creating the docs s.t. anyone can understand how it is built.

Anyone can make improvements and changes (for instance, I used Metric thread since the Jeep is all metric). My only ask is that anyone who distributes an improved version releases the changes as well.

P.S. I am happy to make a few as well. At the moment I don't really know how to keep the prices low. But I am sure there are experts here who can help.

how much are you charging for these with shipping to 37618?

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
In my pocket

chiggerdude

First Name
Brian Head
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR and a 2010 JK - 2010 JK Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,

Here’s what I did to mount my phone. I spent about 70 dollars total. I think I have a solution that is comparable to the rail options on the market for half the price. It seems there are pros and cons to all the options but perhaps this is an alternative for you.

I can add more mounts, move things around, etc. For example, I have a go pro mount that can easily be added.

My next step is to run a USB port to the top of the dash so I don’t have wires hanging.

Thank you
Rick.

F3A69133-ECC9-4286-895E-3FF2EA8AEB14.jpeg

426FCAC6-1A59-4CCC-A874-2B3E03BF9C39.jpeg

3922EA22-D636-4E0C-8ED7-D375E4E9FAEE.jpeg

9185964E-361C-4FFB-A55E-70CACA43CBFC.jpeg

I have same system as you do. works great! My phone is a bit larger so I'm switching the holder out to an X-grip.
Do you have a link to the gopro setup? I have 2 extra 1" balls I'm hoping to use.

Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Check out https://expedition.engineering/collections/all

Orders >$50 include USPS shipping costs, so what you see is what you pay.
Otherwise, it's a small USPS add-on of $4.90 to ship to 37618

//Heading back to the shop to make more :)
thanks, when I googled it last night yours was the first one that popped up. Just making sure I had the right link…

ecentric

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0 Ocean Blue
Check out https://expedition.engineering/collections/all

Orders >$50 include USPS shipping costs, so what you see is what you pay.
Otherwise, it's a small USPS add-on of $4.90 to ship to 37618

//Heading back to the shop to make more :)
If you're selling these, you might want to add a disclaimer that they're at your own risk with a recommendation of driver's side only. Airbag deployment on the passenger side could be problematic with this design. Check with a lawyer on how to deal with this properly.

dstep

First Name
Dmitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
If you're selling these, you might want to add a disclaimer that they're at your own risk with a recommendation of driver's side only. Airbag deployment on the passenger side could be problematic with this design. Check with a lawyer on how to deal with this properly.
It's been top of mind for me ever since I've come across similar comments that raised concerns re. airbag deployment for pretty much all phone and accessory mounting options on the market.

And these all have a valid point!

If you mount anything between you/your passenger and path of airbag deployment, it will hurt.

Take a close look at JLU NHTSA Frontal Impact video. They mark the airbag area pretty clearly.

Awesome advice on getting this in lawyer writing.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Finally installed and tested my modified Rugged Ridge phone mount, everything worked as expected.

phone holder 1.jpg

phone holder 2.jpg

Sponsored

Shakey Graves

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport Unlimited (JLU)
Occupation
Data Analysis, Photographer
Has anyone found a way to integrate somewhere to store the phone and have wireless charging? For instance, the top storage area above the radio (top of the dash) seems like an easy space to add a wireless charging mat. In addition, under the radio in that small spot is an area that may be feasible as well to use wireless charging. Before anyone asks why I would want to wireless charge? Well as soon as I plug my phone into the USB within 5 mins my radio crashes. It does this repeatedly and I cannot see Jeep ever fixing it at this point. I'm on radio #2 and I'm now working around the fact Jeep added a POS radio to a 30k+ vehicle.

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone found a way to integrate somewhere to store the phone and have wireless charging? For instance, the top storage area above the radio (top of the dash) seems like an easy space to add a wireless charging mat. In addition, under the radio in that small spot is an area that may be feasible as well to use wireless charging. Before anyone asks why I would want to wireless charge? Well as soon as I plug my phone into the USB within 5 mins my radio crashes. It does this repeatedly and I cannot see Jeep ever fixing it at this point. I'm on radio #2 and I'm now working around the fact Jeep added a POS radio to a 30k+ vehicle.
What OS are you using Android or IOS? Have you tried a different phone or phone OS plugged into USB?