Sponsored

If you're going off-road, protect that front differential from damage/leaking!

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
Ordered the ranchos and the LCA rear covers! I guess the front is not an issue usually so they didn't even develop the skids for the front LCA shock mounts?
Sponsored

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So here's a little project I undertook today on my front M210. I did figure it was kinda dumb that my stock plug was about 1/16" proud when reasonably tightened. Also seems to me any sort of hole/recess/hex only invites problems.

So, step 1 is to find a solid 1/2" pipe plug (photo 1 on its side; stock plug next to it). These are getting hard to come by, most are manufactured hollow these days (photo 2).

So I chucked up the solid plug and faced the square head off, and thinned it down to somewhere around .430" OAH (this will vary). Then I put it in a collet block, took it to vertical bandsaw and cut a slot for a straight blade screwdriver (photos 3 & 4). I put a little RectumSeal5 on it for good measure and it installs just slightly recessed (photo 5).

I was able to snug it pretty damn good with a #3 straight blade, using an open wrench on the hex shank of this particular screwdriver.

I figure the small screwdriver slot is less likely to hang up on stuff, and if it gets mangled to where I can no longer get a driver in there I don't care - I don't plan on ever removing that plug.

IMG_20191014_124629329.jpg

IMG_20191014_135934153.jpg

IMG_20191014_125819996.jpg

IMG_20191014_130658313.jpg

IMG_20191014_130904197.jpg

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
JFYI...any sort of recessed hole *should* make drilling easier if needed since it will self center the bit to an extent.
Is that your buggy in your avatar pic? Any chance you could throw up some more pics and some details? Sorry to derail the thread, I just find buggy builds really interesting.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Awesome. I always wanted a buggy. Above my abilities.

Reactions: apb

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You mean fab-wise? If so, yeah...it's a fuckton of work. I spent over 2 years building mine. Funny...the bare chassis's only take a few months to make...the devil's in the details.

If you mean driver competence....a monkey could drive mine. Yeah...there's a lot of levers and switches, but I've let complete novices run my buggy solo up some pretty nasty obstacles just spotting them from outside the car.

A lot of people like to pretend wheeling takes some special skill and at a certain level, I'd agree....but honestly, the equipment and vehicles have gotten so good that pretty much anyone with a modicum of understanding when it comes to line selection can look like a badass.
The fab skills, outside my wheelhouse. I don’t have the patience either. Honestly, the older I get, the milder our wheeling gets, so at this point, probably wouldn’t get much use out of one. It is cool where you can squeeze a buggy compared to a full bodied Jeep.

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for that info @Sean K. , so very impressive. Like UKCATS said, I lack the skills and patience for such an endeavor. I think that's why I'm so impressed by these builds. That and they are absolute monsters.

Sponsored

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
Getting this thread back on trail: Called MC to ask for an update on that front diff skid plate. They are just finishing up final details such as instructions, etc. and it should be up on their website within a week or two. The front skid plate WILL attach to their front diff cover so you won't be able to just throw the skid plate on there. They'll be sold as a combo.

Called back to ask about application: Only the M210 is planned. Nothing for the Sahara/Moab

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Another confirmation that one of the few things Jeep got wrong on the new JL is the front diff drain plug. If you are going off-road, especially in rocks, get a rock slider under there. Mine took some hits, it turned and started a slow leak. Could of been much worse! I was able to get over a full rotation on it before it started getting tight again. Hopefully we'll see more vendors release diff sliders for the front soon. Right now, Rancho is the only one I know about.

IMG_6681.JPG
Here's my nightmare story about the same problem. Now we have brand spanking new D44s with lockers and a 2 years warranty on them from Jeep :)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...t-your-poorly-designed-diff-drain-bolt.37030/

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Going with some Dana 44 covers front and rear and then going with the rancho front skid, with my lift and tires not really worried about clearance with the rancho skid plate.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Anyone other than Rancho have a front skid? Rancho is back ordered.

brewskisteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2001 Ford F350 4x4 crew cab 7.3L diesel
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have been waiting for @Metalcloak for this as well. Hopefully soon..
I have as well and was told end of this summer but haven't seen anything. I have the rear skid plate and FAD skid, so would like to match skid plates.
Sponsored