Sponsored

Any 2 doors with the tuffy security deck?

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I prefer how the Diabolical Slipstream looks, and I think Diabolical did a good job of making their slipstream more functional than the Tuffy. My concern is that in a 2 door Diabolical's system looks to be a pretty big PITA to remove so the rear seat can be added back in. I'm wondering if the Tuffy security deck can be more easily removed so the seat can be put back in place for the odd occasion that I may want to carry people with me. Has anyone here with a 2 door installed the tuffy and have any insight about what it would take to get the rear seat back in? I'm not expecting it to be 2 minutes, but the diabolical looks like we'd be talking several hours. Even with the thought of I may do it once every year or two, several hours to remove is probably more than I want to commit to.
I’m curious to hear any answers to this good question.

ZeroFox

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
diabolicalinc.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Diabolical Inc
Vehicle Showcase
The Diabolical system can be partially assembled before installing and it would removal would be even easier. The Folding top and forward wall would take just a minute or two. The skins and framing can come out as a single assembly on each side. Granted it not super simple to install, but once the framework is together, it can be removed much easier, then installed the same way, as an assembly. I will say that in your case it would be better to leave the tie-down rails uninstalled as they would slow down the process of getting the assembly out as they close in around the roll bar.

If you watch our install video, about the 20:28 mark, you'll see what I'm referring to. https://shop.diabolicalinc.com/pages/installation

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm having trouble finding anything that enables secure rear trunk storage without taking the rear seat out. So far, the option seems to be only the Tuffy rear tailgate lock box. Installing the box means you can't really put anything else in the storage area (like luggage or a duffle bag), however, and the Tuffy is only really good for a laptop, camera, or something not to large.

Diabolical, if you are monitoring this threar, what is needed is an updated Bestop insta-trunk like they made for the JKs. This is basically a simple two-piece system, consisting of a lower foundation and a top shelf/plate.
pdint_2_image_37413.15615473987429.jpg

The insta-trunk didn't exist and I had something fabbed up 20 years ago for my TJ. The Diabolical and other options that require you to remove the rear seat are pretty limiting for those of us with 2 doors that want to keep the rear seat in place and just have a lockable trunk solution.

When my JLR arrives, I'll be looking close at fabbing something again, likely based on the insta-trunk concept, but may be with a piano hinge for the top plate or a quick disconnect option for the top plate. Sort of like diabolical, but just for the area between the tailgate and rear set back.

JK_-_IMG_2848_480x480.jpg

Or perhaps just bite the bullet and get the locking tailgate box. Unless Diabolical comes out with a solution.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I don't understand the concept of the rear seat on the 2 door. Maybe for small double-jointed kids that can climb up, squeeze between the roof and seat then sit down. First day I got mine I took the rear seat out and put it into storage.

Sponsored

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I have two teen boys, and while I don’t relish the thought of climbing back there, they are pretty limber. I’ve had a few occasions to carry extra co-worker to lunch (pre- Covid 19), so it comes in handy. I have yet to remove it - that may change for a longer road trip.

I put in a locking center console. It holds small stuff like phones and wallets. I also added a tailgate folding table so no more Tuffy lockbox option for me. Let’s hope there is a solution in the future.

Last edited:

PSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XXXXXX 2020 JL Rubicon 3.6
I have the Tuffy deck and the Tuffy tailgate vault. The deck removes in less than 10 minutes, 5 minutes is very realistic. I like them and recommend them.

The initial install took about 10 minutes.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the Tuffy 2 door rear security enclosure. Pretty easy install - the top is heavy for one old man t o get in and aligned. Putting on the two weatherstripping bars was somewhat a pain.
IMG_20200404_161449_kindlephoto-226339206.jpg

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Put the soft top on today. When installing I had to push the Tuffy enclosure top back a few inches to get the top down far enough for the braces that go into the rails on top of the roll cage then everything fit together ok.
IMG_20200407_152249.jpg

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase