Sponsored

Flashlights, where are you all mounting them?

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Maglite Mag-Tac mounted on handle. Perfect fit, can still grab hold of the handle if need.

The charging cradle is in my center console plugged into the USB for when it needs charging.
Velcroed the cradle in place to prevent the unit from tipping over while driving. Works perfectly.

20191012_200854.jpg
Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
The rear cupholder hole in the forward center console is a perfect fit for a Maglite 200XL, a Zero Tolerance 0200 folding knife, and a pair of mini-binocs. I keep a larger Maglight in the toolbag in the rear cubby.

Texan42

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Fishbone mounts on driver and passenger side work great for my LED MagLites, now I need to find a mount for my Olight SR52UTs....

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
That mount from Fishbone is exactly the kind of mount I wouldn't want to be holding my heavy Mag-Lite in any kind of accident. Not only is the mount location on top of the roll bar bad, its plastic clip retention would probably let go with even moderate speed impacts. Think missile inside the passenger compartment.

I've expressed the same concern with mounting fire extinguishers on the roll bar. If you must mount a flashlight or fire extinguisher in the cargo area, I suggest you keep it low, below seat back height, as the seat backs MAY prevent flying objects reaching passengers during an accident. Consider also the strength of retention in the mount, and the strength of the mount's installation on whatever surface. But better yet to totally secure the objects:

My fire extinguisher sleeps in the cubby below the cargo floor. My Mini-Mag LED flashlight and a reflective belt are the only two things in my driver's door netting pouch. The reflective belt "shines" through the netting, serving as a "door open" signal to drivers coming up from behind as I get out. If I go on a road trip or camping, I would take a much more robust light, likely one of my Fenix lights with Lithium-Ion batteries. It would ride in my backpack or duffle.

My latest favorite "robust light" is the Fenix PD-36R. 1600 lumens in a hand-held! Its new 21700 battery has tons of power, so runtimes on various brightnesses are awesome! Can be charged with on-board USB port or via external battery charger. It would fit in the netting pouch on my door, if I wished to keep it there. Highly recommended!

BTW, Fenix has introduced some low-temperature 18650 batteries for those of you that use this staple. If I ever feel comfortable leaving one of my Fenix lights in my vehicle 24/7, low-temperature batteries would be a must here in SW PA.

Time to get some Sunday breakfast. Hope my comments help somebody.

MH

Last edited:

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
In the glove box.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
My latest favorite "robust light" is the Fenix PD-36R. 1600 lumens in a hand-held! Its new 21700 battery has tons of power, so runtimes on various brightnesses are awesome! Can be charged with on-board USB port or via external battery charger. It would fit in the netting pouch on my door, if I wished to keep it there. Highly recommended!
Dang, $100 is steep for a flashlight. Looks nice, though!

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I just ordered a Raider Rack because of this thread. I didn’t know that I needed one, but now I neeeeeed it.

Bossrubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur, 1950 m38

Sponsored

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
OldGuyNewJeep, I too thought $100 was expensive for a flashlight when I bought my first high-performance light, a FourSevens Maelstrom. I got used to the lumens. I got used to the longer run times, starting first with CR123 batteries, then graduated to 18650 lithium-ion rechargeable batteries. I discovered Fenix, a brand with high performance and high value for customer dollars. New lights with more lumens? Gotta' get one. Tiny lights for EDC carry--with more lumens? Gotta' get one. My triple-emitter spot/searchlight puts out 2900 lumens, and it has been eclipsed by newer models. But that latest light's price is north of $200, so I am staying happy with "only" 2900 lumens. (But, but, but I could have 5100 lumens! Very tempting! :devil: Got....to....keep....wallet....in....my....pocket.)

Back to reality, high-performance flashlights are a bit like Mag-Lite used to be, when we wanted more light, manual focus to overcome bulb shortcomings, and a quality "feel" and heft that you didn't get from those plastic Eveready specials. Mag-Lite was slow to adopt LED emitters and was stuck in D-Cell and AA Alkaline land. I still carry a 3-D-cell Maglite in my Wrangler's cubby, as the big Alkalines store well over the 4 seasons. I also have a backup LED Mini-MagLite in the door pouch. But for everything else I'm Lithium-Ion and LED. I like the value of Fenix, but quality lights are also made by Streamlight, Olight, and others.

Be aware, or maybe I should say, beware that high-performance flashlights can become a bit of addiction. As noted above, newer lights with more output sing a siren song, "buy me!" On the other hand, it is absolutely amazing the amount of light these tiny flashlights put out, and it is absolutely amazing what you can see with lots of lumens. And, if you EDC a pocket light, it is amazing how often you use it, especially as we move into the "dark" season of Fall and Winter.

Candlepowerforums.com is a great resource on high-performance flashlights.

Good Luck. Santa is coming soon, maybe you can put a Fenix light or similar on your wishlist.

MH

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
You selling these?
I had not really thought about that, I mainly designed it for myself. I guess if there was interest I would. This was designed for use with a specific flashlight so it is made to its Diameter. it can also mount on either side as well.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I had not really thought about that, I mainly designed it for myself. I guess if there was interest I would. This was designed for use with a specific flashlight so it is made to its Diameter. it can also mount on either side as well.
Would it fit a fleshlight? let me know if you are selling.
Sponsored