Sponsored

3.6 JLU owner - Considering 2.0t JLRU - Worth it ?

Tlebkcalb

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ JLU DIESEL
Guys, I have a 2019 JLU Sport S 3.6with the options I need / want. I bought the car to use only as a vehicle to use at my vacation home, had only 290 miles until 2 weeks ago, and already with a new steering box (had more play than my 1995 Range Rover Classic with 150K) that I keep at the beach house.

fast forward to October, I’m now living in FL, and working 42 miles away from home.
So my commute is 84 miles round trip, 5 days per week, sometimes 6.
I get roughly 20 to 22 mpg depending on wind, traffic and my heavy foot (travel around 75-90mph)

Bottom line is that I got a deal on a 2.0 Rubicon with almost all the option I would like, but with the 2.0 that I ran from like a plague.

Realistic how does it feel, and sound ?

This is from someone that HATES new cars, and new steering feel, that thinks all new cars are appliances with no sound or soul.
Only car I really care for are old school suvs and Porsche GT cars that I drive since the 90s, but I really enjoy my wranglers and have them in and off since the 90s.

all inputs on reliability, fuel economy, power, sound and feel are welcome.
Tks guys.
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I’ve owned both. I wouldn’t go back to the V6 just due to my elevation. The Turbo is a little beast even with 37s. That doesn’t make the 6 a bad motor. The Turbo just makes the drive enjoyable and effortless.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
So it sounds like you want to go from a Sport to a Rubicon which I get... But your not sure about giving up the V6? I love the V6 auto combo and wouldn't change. The 2.0 isn't doing much/if any better real world on MPG. For sound, well inside Jeep is faking you out with 2.0 motor sounds through the speakers from what I've read on here. But in all honesty you have to drive both and pick what you like best...

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So it sounds like you want to go from a Sport to a Rubicon which I get... But your not sure about giving up the V6? I love the V6 auto combo and wouldn't change. The 2.0 isn't doing much/if any better real world on MPG. For sound, well inside Jeep is faking you out with 2.0 motor sounds through the speakers from what I've read on here. But in all honesty you have to drive both and pick what you like best...
No. Jeep isn’t faking any sounds through speakers. The 4 bangers sound goofy. And yes I get better mileage out of the 4 than I did out of my 6. Both are on 37s.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow. You sure deleted that post quick.........

Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve only read on here so I don’t speak first hand knowledge.

My JL 3.6 isn’t my daily but when I do take it to work I get upper 23 / low 24 mpgs on my 30 mile commute. I’m good with that ....

Last edited:

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow. You sure deleted that post quick.........
Sorry, was correcting my link...

Edit: deleted link as it may have been false info.

Last edited:

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Read the thread and you’ll see he was a troll. Don’t spread that crap.
. If ya read my first post I wasn’t trying to sway the OP. So don’t get defensive over your 2.0. Nothing wrong with that motor. Said they should drive both. And I believe that. Splitting hairs on MPG and whatever else. I didn’t want the cooler lines that go to the rear for the BSG nor the extra batteries either. 2020 Rubicons don’t have the BSG system anymore right? I’m glad Jeep gives us both the option for the motor we like.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
. If ya read my first post I wasn’t trying to sway the OP. So don’t get defensive over your 2.0. Nothing wrong with that motor. Said they should drive both. And I believe that. Splitting hairs on MPG and whatever else. I didn’t want the cooler lines that go the rear for the BSG batteries either. I’m glad Jeep gives us both the option for the motor we like.
There was no defensiveness in my post. I’ve owned both motors and enjoyed them. My post to you was about spreading stupid rumors about sound from speakers.

Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I deleted the link I posted as to not spread false info. Again, OP needs to drive both, know what both offer and what drawbacks each have. Don’t think either will be a bad choice but seat time may make one a better option for OP.

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
My experience is limited to comparing a 2016 2 door Willys 3.6/manual to a 2020 2.0/auto at ~5300 feet.

The ZF is clearly a fantastic transmission. It shifts like a dual-clutch transmission in a sports car. After all, it’s effectively the same transmissions used in BMW 3 series, the ew Toyota Supra, etc. It pairs very well with the 2.0T (and the 3.6L, obviously).

The 2.0T engine is buzzy and feels “tinny”, but it performs very well.

I decided to order a Rubicon with the 3.6L paired with a manual. If one could get the 2.0T with a manual I might have been swayed to go that route. Maybe. The 3.6L is just so proven that that’s a compelling reason to buy it by itself. It was for me, at least.

Based on your distaste for new cars, I don’t think you’ll like the 2.0T. But you should drive it and see.

OP
OP

Tlebkcalb

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ JLU DIESEL
Hey folks, thanks for the input. A little uneasy with the cooling / battery thingy, also the 4 cylinder sound, but you’re right I need to drive it.
Second option is a 2020 3.6. It’s only a U$ 3,000.00 before negotiating further.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The 2020 2.0 Rubicon doesn't have the BSG 48v system. The gearing and tires might detract from the mpgs you expect as compared to your 3.6 Sport., so if fuel economy is paramount, maybe one of those " appliances" would work best...if "fun" to drive, then why not run a fuel expense comparison between the 2.0, and the 3.6 before the expense of a trade..

OP
OP

Tlebkcalb

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ JLU DIESEL
The 2020 2.0 Rubicon doesn't have the BSG 48v system. The gearing and tires might detract from the mpgs you expect as compared to your 3.6 Sport., so if fuel economy is paramount, maybe one of those " appliances" would work best...if "fun" to drive, then why not run a fuel expense comparison between the 2.0, and the 3.6 before the expense of a trade..
Sorry I should’ve been clear.

There is a 2019 2.0 and a 2020 3.6.
None of them have exactly the options I want, but they are pretty close, so no issues there.

as of now the price delta is 3K. I’m sure I’ll be able to get further discount on the 2.0 19 unit.

In my view the mpg difference is negligible at most, but also a little plus.

I follow your thought on the appliance for commuting duty, but I really don’t want to go that route, just can’t see the value on driving something I don’t enjoy.

for example, I put 7K per year on a 997.2 GT3 RS, and other GT cars, and don’t regret one bit.
Cars are meant to be driven.
I’m considering getting a Giulia Ti Sport Carbon to split the mileage with the JL, depending on end of the year deals the company I work for may offer. I find these pretty fun little cars, at a very reasonable cost.
I should drive the 2.0 today so I’ll report back.
Tks
Sponsored