Yakima Backswing

fatnbald1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I’ve searched and seen pictures that weren’t conclusive. Looking at a Yakima Backswing...anyone know if when the Backswing is installed, without a bike rack installed, will the rear gate open without having the open the Backswing first? Thanks
Sponsored

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
If memory serves me correctly the tire hits the handle of the Backswing, I know I had to open the locking handle but don’t remember if I had to open it, I can check in the next couple days.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have the 315/70/17 bfgs and it hits the top of the backswing and cannot be opened. However, it's not much of a pain to just swing out the backswing and then it's no problem. However, even then, it comes extremely close to another part of the backswing so if you had anything bigger, it could present a problem.

I measured, and you'd need to have a tire that was a full 2" shorter than mine to get it to clear without opening up the backswing. So, that rules out the stock 33" from the rubicon as it will be only 1" shorter, roughly. The 2nd pic shows a clearance of about 1/4" with my 315s. Note that many 315s are bigger than my 315 ko2s. Also, I don't have the upgraded steel bumper from Jeep, so that may come into play too. I had thought of getting an additional drop hitch as well, but thought there'd just be too much torque and would look goofy with the bike rack being pushed so far behind the jeep. All and all, I still think it's the best option with the way I have it using the backswing. Good luck!

20190916_103237.jpg

20190916_103305.jpg

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
When I was researching this I remember that there were issues with the handle clearing the tire. I went with the Kuat Pivot instead.

OP
OP
fatnbald1

fatnbald1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Looks like the Kuat Pivot V2 will be the answer once it becomes available. Thanks for the replies

Sponsored

toblerthedog

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S6, Sting Gray JLUR
Looks like the Kuat Pivot V2 will be the answer once it becomes available. Thanks for the replies
Just out of curiosity - would you plan to get the "driver's side" or "passenger's side" swing version when available? I am leaning towards the passenger side version - but not sure it really matters.

OP
OP
fatnbald1

fatnbald1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Just out of curiosity - would you plan to get the "driver's side" or "passenger's side" swing version when available? I am leaning towards the passenger side version - but not sure it really matters.
Hadn’t thought of it either. Probably passenger’s side as well to offer full access from the driver’s side.

ColoJLRubi

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I picked up the backswing some months ago and the handle does hit the spare tire. There’s a really easy fix for that.......flip the backswing up side down. It will swing the other direction but works.

P.S...the backswing is now sitting in my garage collecting dust
Sponsored