• Total voters

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
I dare to ask as I know every Jeep is as unique as its owner, and many would say no to either "deal".

After getting many quotes for the best below invoice I could find on a build, and then finding a very close 2018 on a lot and negotiating as low as I could; below are the two options I am considering.

2018 Sahara Unlimited - Buy
  • MSRP = $51,555
  • Sale Price = $44,022
  • 14.6% below MSRP
    • *I know it is not the 20% that some look for on 2018s, but for my must-have options on trims above Sport S, I could not find anyone else even close to this within driving distance.

2020 Willys Unlimited - Build
  • MSRP = $49,500
  • Sale Price = $44,432
  • 10% below MSRP (6% below invoice)

Summarizing the options of the Sahara over the Willys. $304 cheaper gets a 2018 Sahara vs 2020 Willys, with a bigger 8.4-inch screen and proximity door locks. I am swapping the Rubi springs for the Sahara heavy duty breaks and suspension, and getting a step instead of the rock sliders. I am losing the anti-slip rear diff and the trailer package from the Willys build. Outside of the cosmetic differences, everything else is the same.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Don't worry about the percentage off - at the end of the day you can get a custom build that sounds like exactly what you want fresh off the truck for $304 more than a 2 year old leftover that who knows how many people have test driven. I'd take the custom build for sure.

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I dare to ask as I know every Jeep is as unique as its owner, and many would say no to either "deal".

After getting many quotes for the best below invoice I could find on a build, and then finding a very close 2018 on a lot and negotiating as low as I could; below are the two options I am considering.

2018 Sahara Unlimited - Buy
  • MSRP = $51,555
  • Sale Price = $44,022
  • 14.6% below MSRP
    • *I know it is not the 20% that some look for on 2018s, but for my must-have options on trims above Sport S, I could not find anyone else even close to this within driving distance.

2020 Willys Unlimited - Build
  • MSRP = $49,500
  • Sale Price = $44,432
  • 10% below MSRP (6% below invoice)

Summarizing the options of the Sahara over the Willys. $304 cheaper gets a 2018 Sahara vs 2020 Willys, with a bigger 8.4-inch screen and proximity door locks. I am swapping the Rubi springs for the Sahara heavy duty breaks and suspension, and getting a step instead of the rock sliders. I am losing the anti-slip rear diff and the trailer package from the Willys build. Outside of the cosmetic differences, everything else is the same.

Thoughts?
For the prices listed I'd take the 2020 because everything is available for the wrangler in aftermarket parts that will exceed what you get in the sahara plus the sahara as of today is only worth about $34-36k with all those options. I'm sure you can deal better on the sahara cuz I got 20% off my 2018 back in april and it's got leather, proximity door locks, body colored hard top, 8.4 inch alpine stereo, auto and hardtop liner.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I would go for the Willys build. When you did a build, you didn't choose the Sahara. And realistically, the prices are close enough that if you wanted a Sahara you could've chosen to build that over the Willys. The Sahara isn't a bad choice, but it sounds like your first pick is a Willys. If you wanted a Sahara, I would probably recommend building a 2020 to your own choices over one on the dealers lot, if the discount was a 2020 at 10% off MSRP vs a 2018 at 14% off MSRP.

Sponsored

OP
OP
agarber5687

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would go for the Willys build. When you did a build, you didn't choose the Sahara. And realistically, the prices are close enough that if you wanted a Sahara you could've chosen to build that over the Willys. The Sahara isn't a bad choice, but it sounds like your first pick is a Willys. If you wanted a Sahara, I would probably recommend building a 2020 to your own choices over one on the dealers lot, if the discount was a 2020 at 10% off MSRP vs a 2018 at 14% off MSRP.
Since I started looking at this 2018 Sahara in depth, I actually have started thinking more of ordering a Sahara over a Willys. Primarily because I expect to use some of the extra options on the Sahara (bigger screen and proxy doors) a lot more than the extra off-road options on the Willys, for my 4 - 6 mild off-road trips I hope to take annually.

If you swap the Willys build for a Sahara build, the savings dollar amount increases to ~$1,200 but the % off MSRP remains unchanged. Essentially saving 4.6% of MSRP to get a 2018 over a 2020.

That becomes the bottom line decision, is 4.5% MSRP enough to warrant a 2018 buy over a 2020 build?

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
That becomes the bottom line decision, is 4.5% MSRP enough to warrant a 2018 buy over a 2020 build?
4.5% difference on a $50k vehicle. When you trade in/sell in a few years, a 2020 will be worth more than a 2018, and that 4.5% may not make a difference then (but it will now in your payments). Personally, I wouldn't blame anyone for saving money and getting the 2018. But is it exactly how you would want it built? Same exact options, colors? Again, nothing wrong with saving money if some of those things aren't that important. But I would go for the 2020.

I don't know what minor, incremental changes have been made for the 2020 over the 2018. I am assuming the 2018 is a later year build, so the frame welds shouldn't be an issue either. How many test drive miles are on the 2018? Did the 2018 drive nice, or did the tires feel like they have flat spots from sitting still a long time (may not be an issue with how much the factory over inflates the tires).

OP
OP
agarber5687

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I said no deal to 2018 and expect to build in the next few weeks/months.

In the end it boiled down to what many said, the 2018 is not exactly what I want, and I’d be paying for a “deal” on options I would not have ordered in the first place.

It was enticing but not enticing enough (20% off MSRP would have been hard to say no to though)

Now to continue tinkering with the custom build out until I finally order.

Thanks all!
Sponsored